Used 1998 Mercury Sable Sedan Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercury Sable Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

Best used vehicle I have owned.
By vtray

1998 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I am 73 and have owned a lot of vehicles, both new and used. I bought this car in Florida with 69K miles on it. We have a condo in Fl and live in VT. I drove it (packed to the ceiling) to Vermont (1635 Miles) and never had a problem. When I bought it, I had a wheel alignment and two new tires. Other than that, nothing was done.
Although it is a GS model it has a lot of add ons such as the V6 Durotec engine with dual exhaust, leather all around, power seats, security system, chrome wheels etc. The Durotec is fantastic. It is quick (200HP) and yet delivers 28 MPG on the highway. Have had the car for about 9 months and no problems yet.

Durotec 24V engine w/dual exhaust. Leather power seats.

Front DC outlet is inconvenient.

This is my best friend
By Barbara Erives

1998 Mercury Sable Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

For an American made car, this car is great. Reliable, comfortable and for a V6 good on gas. I have never had a car with this much milage that I could say that about. I will be getting another Sable soon, only because of body damage done to this vehicle by an incompetent employee at an auto repair shop, and the company's insurance company decided it was a total loss and I will use the money from that to buy a newer model Sable. I think Mercury was crazy to discontinue this model for 2010 because it is a good solid car. Since I've had it, nothing has gone on it that wasn't normal wear and tear.

I liked everything about this car.

Bring it back for 2011

A Great Car
By jendretzky88

1998 Mercury Sable Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Purchased in 2000 w/15,000 miles. Currently has 186,000 miles and still going strong. The parts are cheap and just about anyone can work on it. I do regular maintenance but outside of that I have replaced a coolant tube($100)and tie rods($200) at about 100,000 miles. My rear springs broke at 175,000 miles($600). The under carriage plate was loose at 150,00 and 180,000 miles, but my mechanic just tightened it and its fine. I really can't complain about her. She has had some work done to her but it beats buying a new car and it wasn't a big head ache. It has been a great reliable car. My problem now is that I don't trust to buy a new car and it will be as reliable.

Great Car
By sandy

1998 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used, 10+ years ago, with 25000 mls on it. Car now has over 276,000+ miles. It consistently gets 21 mpg. We recently took a 1000 mile trip and got 29 mpg. Getting old and having some problems but has been a GREAT car!!! Will probably replace with a used, NOT new style, model.

Interior size ~ able to fit short and tall driver comfortably. Cloth seats still look great. Trunk holds more than you'd think. Able to carry 2 x 10's because of backseat lowering. Good sound system. Travels quiet for its size and class.

Very good results
By Lew

1998 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I have had no bad results and would recommend this car for any family. It has a lot of power and speed. The body has a few chips in the paint but no dents. It is white in color with beige cloth interior. Power driver seat. I just had the speed sensor replaced in the transmission. This is the only problem I have ever had with this car. It has 67000 miles on it.

Zip and comfort

Mileage averages 19 around town ,try for 100.