Used 1998 Mercury Sable Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Sable for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

A Great Car

jendretzky88, 05/30/2009
LS 4dr Sedan

Purchased in 2000 w/15,000 miles. Currently has 186,000 miles and still going strong. The parts are cheap and just about anyone can work on it. I do regular maintenance but outside of that I have replaced a coolant tube($100)and tie rods($200) at about 100,000 miles. My rear springs broke at 175,000 miles($600). The under carriage plate was loose at 150,00 and 180,000 miles, but my mechanic just tightened it and its fine. I really can't complain about her. She has had some work done to her but it beats buying a new car and it wasn't a big head ache. It has been a great reliable car. My problem now is that I don't trust to buy a new car and it will be as reliable.

This is my best friend

Barbara Erives, 11/16/2009
LS 4dr Sedan

For an American made car, this car is great. Reliable, comfortable and for a V6 good on gas. I have never had a car with this much milage that I could say that about. I will be getting another Sable soon, only because of body damage done to this vehicle by an incompetent employee at an auto repair shop, and the company's insurance company decided it was a total loss and I will use the money from that to buy a newer model Sable. I think Mercury was crazy to discontinue this model for 2010 because it is a good solid car. Since I've had it, nothing has gone on it that wasn't normal wear and tear.

Ten years and still going

Chris, 01/06/2008
LS 4dr Sedan

I saw this car in 2005 now mind you it is about to reach the ten year mark, and has 93k miles on it, you could've told me it just left the factory yesterday and I would have believed you. I had it checked out,a nd yes there were some problems, problems all too common with the Sable, but the dealer was happy to fix them and I for $3500 walked away with an above average used car. I am happy to tell you, the car to this day still turns heads, provides a smooth ride and on I-95 can keep up with those around it. After 150k miles my used car shows no signs of stopping and thanks to Ford I will not have to go through the process of buying a car anytime soon, thank you.

Watch out for the transmission!

Arabella, 08/08/2004
LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and it's been great till the transmission went at 81K and almost 6 years of age. It's costing me a small fortune to get it back on the road. After reading about Ford's transmission problems, this is the last Ford for me.

205,000 Miles and still going.

GAT, 01/11/2006
LS 4dr Sedan

Purchased as a used rental car in 99. I need it to go another 80,000 miles 'til i retire and i think it will. Only recurring problems are brake calipers. Replaced both rear. Comfortable, dependable and good passing power.

12345...6