Used 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

nice cruiser
By Bee Gee

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

Good cruiser, plenty of room for a big family or lots of friends, for an auto this size it gets 20 to 24 mph, even while cruising at 85 mph fully loaded with luggage and passengers (legal in West Texas). Only minor repairs and normal maintenance over the 20 years we've owned her.

Well worth it
By Bigcar

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I was definitely sold on a town car or grand marquis and eventually found my 96 with a set of snow tires for 1400. 107000 miles. The very clean interior had me sold. I believe almost all of the parts were original. There's a lot of rust where I live and that caused some bad tie rod failure and holes in a catalytic converter. But parts are very cheap for these cars. The tie rod did last a long time without grease when I think about it. The rest of the car has held up quite well with a ball joint replacement, bad alignment, being driven miles on a flat, shocks beat to death, and what Ive put it through in snowy parking lots. Engine has never given me an issue and the transmission is smooth, as well as the ride. The power is very good off the line and my engine has some sort of ecm tuning on it. Now most everything is fixed and I only hope the frame doesn't give out, because the rest of the car has a lot of life left in it. Either way my next car will most likely be another marquis or town car, with leather.

Good Car
By 631rob1991

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

Had bought the 96 GM second hand for $400. Great investment. Drove smooth as can be. I enjoyed the spacious interior. The V8 gave it good pep.

Good Solid Car- Great Used Value
By robert

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

I have had 3 Grand Marquis. A 1985 that I drove to 250 K! A used 1990 that I drive to 200K. The last car was a used 1996 and in has 98K on it. No problems a good solid cars. 2011 is the last year. This was a great car from a generation ago, well built, cheap to run, and it will be missed by me.

Good highway car, no major repairs.

The steering is too light. It can get away from you.

1996 Grand Marquis
By grandmarquis

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Grand Marquis now has 79600 miles on it and it still runs strong. No one would guess its age (especially since new ones look simliar). Good accelaration and pick-up, lots of power. I have had to have all the O2 sensors replaced, and the mass airflow sensor has been replaced twice. It still has its original battery. I have also replaced the spark plugs. I change the oil ever 3000 miles. Fuel economy is good for the engine size but still very expensive to use for city driving (I get about 16 mpg city/23 or 24 highway)

Keypad (I don't know how many times it has saved me from having my keys locked in the car). Lots of room.

Front bumper is very poorly designed. Seats could use a little more support