Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

German roller skate
By Musky

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Cute sports car that handles and rides great but has a painted plastic interior

Good looking car but very expensive to maintain
By Pete Robinson

This car is one of the best looking cars on the road. Performance is good for the V6 models but mine is a 4 cylinder and the performance is only OK. Interior is very nice but the weak points is the electronics that fail frequently. Gas mileage is poor for a small car with a 4 cylinder engine. Recommend the car for sunny day short drives but take the big car on trips.

Sizzling Car
By Chris Bond

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK32 AMG 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

This car has been my Wonderful Wife's primary car for about 12 years.
She purchased it used with low mileage (15k) & used it 5-6 days a week to travel
approximately 100 miles a day. She Loved the car yes I say loved it.
Recently on her way home from work while thankfully close to home the her trusty
Chariot stalled & failed to restart. When I arrived I attempted to restart the car & received a
Crank no start condition. We had the vehicle towed home & I began a 12 day journey to
Reignite the stalled steed. Well unfortunately after diagnosing (using a code reader &
addressing the specific codes) the condition & changing
several small items: gas cap, air filter, spark plugs, camshaft monitor, crankshaft monitor &
checking all the fuses & a k40 computer board: I finally relinquished control & had Our
Mechanic to save the day. Unfortunately he couldn't either. He decided to check the engine
compression with two different meters and found little or no compression in all 4 cylinders.
The only maintenance that was performed on the car in five years & 149k has been oil/filter
changes & tires. This car was so reliable that even when it took its last breath it did so,
Close to home & not strand my Wife in the boonies.
My recommendation check the manufacturer's suggested timing chain interval &
you will have a fun little ride for a long time.

Good Weekend Fun Car
By ziblebot

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK32 AMG 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

My wife and I purchased our SLK 32 last year as a fun car.
Being a 11 yr old car, we use it about 5-7K miles a year driving it on nice days.
So far we have been pleased with this car.
The only negative issue is the center console being scratched up and worn.
Otherwise a really clean car.

I love my SLK
By JMills

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I thought a review of a 6 year old SLK320 might be helpful to people. All of the '98 to '02 SLK's had an issue with paint peeling on the center console. Other than that my SLK looks like it rolled off the assembly line yesterday. I have never seen a car that has aged this well, bar none. Outside paint still lives up to its name 'Brilliant Silver'. Everything about the car is tight and solid. My last car was a Corvette so I am not new to performance cars and this one is a winner. No, it doesnt have the off the line grunt of a Corvette. It is more along the lines of european sports cars, in other words spectacular handling, very good road manners and comfort levels and exciting top end speed.

Retractable hardtop, and the looks my car gets everywhere.

Single CD player inside