Used 2000 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

My Date Car is Great!!!
By Doug

2000 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 2000 SL500 as a "date" car. Yes, i'm single and this has been the perfect car to use on the weekends. I have also taken it on a few long distances trips, too. It has never missed a beat and owns a soft spot in my heart!!!!!

10,000 fantastic miles in my SL500
By Rich Rausser

2000 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

First off, the 2000 SL500 has timeless styling. It is a fantastic ride with the top down as well as with the hard top on. The powerful 5-liter V-8 is as smooth as they come and 0-60 comes up in less than 6 seconds with a quarter mile trap speed of about 100 MPH and 60-0 braking in about 100 feet. The original MSRP of over $86,000 included a $1,000 gas guzzler tax which doesn’t make any sense to me. In my daily driving I average 22 MPG with this 8-cylinder car and on a longer highway drive I can consistently get 27 MPG. That’s pretty darn good for a 320 HP car that weighs over 4,000 pounds. This a real Mercedes - the body structure is tight and solid and while the car is heavy, it rides great and handles well. I’ve seen other SL500s with well over 100,000 miles and the engines and drive trains seem to be bullet proof. The hydraulic cylinder seals for the soft top are the only weak spot in this great, soon to be classic car.

It's so much fun
By Bob

2000 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

Buying this car 16 year old car has been a joy. It turns heads, drives like a dream, corners likes its on rails, and the speed -- well it's breathtaking. Went out early one morning to the turnpike with the top down and my wife reading emails in the passenger seat. Got it to 105 and she didn't notice. Just a little stretch of the legs for this rocket. I'm 6' 4" and it's one the of few cars in which I'm really comfortable. Maintenance is expected and keeps her running great.

Amazing Vehicle
By Linda J.

2000 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I love my Mercedes, the fact that you can go from hard top to soft top in a few easy minutes. There is room for a couple of bags in the back "seat", unlike other sports cars where you don't even have room for a purse. The ride is like sitting home in your livingroom. The gas mileage on mine is 30-32 mpg on a trip. It's an all around beautiful car. I am not an engineer, but I see no improving on perfection here. I have driven them all, I wanted to before I made an educated purchase and this was the only one standing at the end of the tests, all things considered, gas mileage, comfort, style, class.

The back "seat" area. All the others, Audi TT, BMW Z3 or Z4,Porsche, etc, no room for anything else. This car leaves nothing to want. Still more room in the amazing trunk, I can take everything I need for a week or more.

Amazing
By NewBenzOwner

2000 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL600 2dr Convertible

Amazing car all around...perfect mix of performance, comfort, convenience and luxury. Drives like no other car, with endless smooth V12 power on tap right under your right foot. Truly an amazing thoroughbred.

Mostly that wonderful V12...but also the hardtop/convertible idea

Gas mileage is truly miserable...getting about 10 MPG so far. Also, limited interior storage.