Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used M-Class for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

2003 ML350 Inspiration Edition 225k miles and still going strong

sbushue, 06/02/2011

Family bought this SUV used back in 2005 and since then put on 175k miles on it. Been extremely reliable. Of course there is the maintenance. However, it is expected with any vehicle. This has now became my vehicle (3rd owner), and am confident it will get to well over 300k. Has handled well on the road, especially on the curves and in the winter time as well.

164K miles runs like new

Joey, 07/26/2010

I have maintained this ML 500 at the dealership since purchase. WOW, the only issue has been brake jobs every 25K miles, a new battery at 100K and of curse oil changes 5k. I take care of it and it has NEVER let me down. My favorite car/SUV ever! maybe, I am lucky but this ML 500 has been bullet proof.

Can you believe

Joey Martin, 10/25/2010

I have owned this ML 500 for 6 yrs and it has a total of 174,000 mi. It has been bullet proof! Yes it's hard on brakes, every 22k mi. Tires depending on brand 30-35K. Mechanically, the only major issue? I just had the dealer install a new power steering pump at 171,000 mi. Wow! Great SUV, the best MB I have ever owned. Why get a new one?

Liking it!

AC, 06/03/2005

I bought a used 2003 with low miles and just love the way it handles the road, especially in the rain. The sound system and climate controls are superb.

Love this SUV, but...

Armani, 05/02/2006

I bought this car 5 month ago. I was the second owner. The car was one of the top-notch options-equipped and one of the dream cars you wish to buy. I love this car for the way it handles the road and the luxury you barely find in American cars. Although it was the best car I rode so far, I am thinking of selling it for the sole reason of the gas mileage specially when it comes to $3.50 per gallon. One more thought, When you are driving a Mercedes SUV do not compare the feeling with an S class ride. Got it? It a tough rugged SUV with a Mercedes logo.

a s.o.b

zeezo, 10/03/2002

this s.u.v is great it takes me any where i want

Drives itself

gary petas, 11/11/2006

Awesome vehicle. Has everything you need including built in radar detector helps with that eight. The ML500 is in a class all by itself. Smooth cornering. Step on the accelerator and this vehicle flies all on its own. I have yet to have a problem with this vehicle. This vehicle is great in the snow, not a problem especially with bliz tires or the Dunlop sp5000 which is a tire that has been on the market for about eight years. Only exception 20,000 mile tire. Sound system rocks. Definite head turner.

Safe and Secure.

Joe Cross, 10/05/2005

The feel of this SUV on the road is one of stability and security. This is my second M class, the first was the reason for the second. On my way home one evening a Lincoln Town Car pulled out in front of me and we collided nearly head on, I ended up on 2 wheels going the wrong way into on coming traffic. I was able to control the vehicle and turn it while on two wheels back onto my side of the road.

ML320

harry andrews, 01/06/2006

This has been a wonderful car. Built like a truck. A little rough in town, but get it on the highway and it drives like a dream, solid and heavy. Good gas mileage, usually around 25-26 mpg.

Driven Everywhere

C. McMichael, 10/30/2005

I drive this thing +175 miles a day, 4 to 5 days a week under all conditions and on every type of road way and I really enjoy the car. It has enough room for passengers to be comfortable, but is much more comfy for me than my last 2000 ML320. For a car to stand up to what I put it through and keep going with little to no maintenance is very pleasing. A great buy and I don't even care that I have to reach over 6 inches to adjust the radio instead of the steering wheel.

Best mid-size SUV on market

BEN-Z, 10/30/2004

The rumor is true, when you buy a Mercedes you expect nothing less than the best in everything; and that is what you get. 2003 ml350 w/ sport and comfort pkgs. Can't say enough good things about the car, gets better gas milage than expected! Truely the classiest yet most fun to drive SUV on the market. There is definately a reason the star turns heads no I know why! All of our expectations were met. Sincerely, Extremely Pleased Mercedes-Benz owner

No Complaints

Zach, 07/08/2010

Was my grandparents SUV but is now mine. Never any major problems for either of us. Great midsized SUV. Takes bad weather like a champ. Reliability is as you would expect for a MB. Some of the exterior factory colors don't look great. Go with black if it's an option. My only complaint with the car would be the fuel efficiency.

Excellent vehicle by far the best car I have owned

mochoa47@yahoo.com, 08/21/2015
ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car from my work (Alpine Electronics) in 2004 (they purchased it due to a quality issue with the radio) No problems found. I have not had major repair issues with it, I have put 176K miles and it just keeps going, only maintenance I have done is breaks, tires, oil changes, and lately replaced valve cover gasket due to some leaking issues and while it was there I told them to replace all the hoses, re-charge AC (it had never been done) as well as the timing belt. Great value for the price, the quality of this vehicle has surpassed my expectations. I have owned Porsche, BMW, Nissan, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo and by far this is the best vehicle, would love to upgrade but why? the car is still running as if it was new!

Not for the long haul....costly repairs

BenzOwner516, 02/23/2010

I purchased this vehicle in 2003 and currently have 125,000 miles on it. This car has been a NIGHTMARE. The suspension has major issues, my total cost for suspension, control arm and various related issues is well over $7,000. The catylytic converters went at 90k miles,$2,300. Transmission control module, power steering column and pump, calipers froze, transmission mounts, motor mounts, heated seat caught on fire.....the problems are too numerous to name. Overall I've spent at least $20,000 on repairs. All the mechanics I've spoken to advise getting rid of this car after 5 years. It is definitely not built for the long haul. First and last Mercedes.

Going Strong

Joey Martin, 12/02/2009

Just turned 140K miles. Only oil changes, tires and brakes. No problems, amazing..

owner

Roxanne Haueisen, 02/22/2004

Overall, I have found the M-class to be a very enjoyable and reliable car to own. The only problem I have had is with the coolant light coming on and the dealership has resolved the problem quickly and professionally. The interior is very comfortable and user- friendly. It handles more like a car than a truck and overall is a smooth ride. Gas mileage is average, could be better.

2003 ML 500

disappointed, 04/09/2007

Very comfortable seats. Very good gas mileage for engine and type of vehicle. 15 in town; 19-21 on road. Very good handling and drivability. Ride slightly harsh. Excellent turning circle. Poor brake wear. New rotors and pads every 18-22 M miles at a ludicrous cost. Front shocks needed replacement at 47,000 miles. Thank goodness car is still under warranty. Dealer cost to replace $850. Power steering hose clamp blew at 40,000 miles. BAS went at 42,000. Reliability poor for a premium brand.

Ml 350 ???

R2r, 08/07/2009

Bought this Suv new. after 4 years with 25000 miles i replaced front and rear brake pads and rotor and 4 tires.After 6 yrs with 35000 miles need a pair of ball joints and door assembly.

Finally the real M arrives

emster320, 10/08/2002

For me, people who buy the M-Class are well-informed, practical and have an appreciation of the delicate balance between luxury and utility.I was truly impressed with the X5 but it didn't have the M's cargo room/utility.Drove the MDX-wide track, excellent engine- but it lost points in the luxury department (plus 3rd row seating is actually smaller compared to the M). Sequoia? Quite impractical for my needs. Consider a vehicle that will inflict the least damage to the other vehicle-lower bumper and crumple zones. Don't be persuaded by emotional reviews. Do your own research and come to a conclusion. Have a safe trip and tread lightly!

Awsome Offroad

Scottsdale, AZ, 03/11/2004

Shortly after purchasing this I got a lot of flack for buying a 4 wheel drive car that most people never take off- road. Living in the desert I quickly put them all to shame when I drove my ML through a wash that 2 lifted pick up trucks were currently stuck in and then proceded to do a 12 mile treck through the desert on a trail that was "Jeep Recomended". This SUV is the best SUV on the market. It has amazing off-road capabilities, a very comfortable interior, a powerful engine, and hardly any problems. But, what else would you expect from the vehicle the German military relies on.

Mack's opinion

MACK, 02/09/2008

This vehicle was purchased from a dealership, I am the second owner, with 42k miles, perfect condition, no dents, no scratches, no leaks, everything works, new tires, complete safety check was done. It is white with beige leather interior, Nothing gone wrong with the instruments.

Worst Benz EVER

Ovi, 07/28/2003

An ML500 Insp.(03)loaded. At 1,500mi the "check engine" light came on, I'm told the gas cap was not tight. The problem persits. Took it back wks. later & dealer changed something. The light went off & later came back on. Called dealer & car kept for two days. I picked it up & light was out. Two days later on, take it back & it is now the catalytic converter. (at 4000Mi). Ask dealer & MB rep.what about when car is out of warranty? The MB rep & MB service mgr. say they'll "monitor" vehicle. I went home to find out next a.m. in my garage a leak (washer fluid).

Excellent Ride

lbo100, 09/06/2003

As far as reliability, function, resale value, ability to city drive and overall comfort, I would not exchange my ML for any other SUV (except of course an ML 430).

ML 350

User123, 09/17/2003

This is a very well crafted vehicle with many added safety features that many other SUV's do not enjoy. A more powerful engine than its predecessor ML320. I do have to say that it is time for a new body style. I have owned my 2003 ML350 for 3 months now so not much else to comment. Everything is great.

solid and reliable

barag, 03/26/2004

the dealer has been great. we have no problems of any kind.

Makes a great pet

green chiai tea, 06/19/2005

The 500 gets even better mileage than the ML430 that it replaced. The tranny is better and more responsive. Xenons, rain sensor wipers, electric rear quarter windows, folding mirrors, etc. . . . it offers all the features you'd want in an SUV. Lots of cargo space, and tows like a champ.

Proud Owner

Kenneth Allen, 06/12/2016
ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I hate my ML500

Mars, 07/21/2010

I purchased two Mercedes because they built their name on quality, what a "joke". We own the ML500 & 350. The 500 was poorly built, a lot of repairs In less than one year, I have spent over $2,000.00 in repairs. Even the clear coat is peeling, both my Mercedes have this problem. I will never purchase another Mercedes, in fact I am trading both vehicles in this weekend for Lexus. Mercedes should be ashamed of themselves.

Consumer

Merc, 08/17/2003

Not up to par on features vis-a-vis competitors in same price range. Significantly improved quality since intro in '98 Already see condensation in left headlight assembly. Will have to get replaced. Not something I would expect in a $50,000 vehicle. Had I not gotten a terrific deal. I would have gone to competition but they are all selling at MSRP or above. (Volvo, Toureg, Cadillac, Lexus) Ridiculous.

arisman's second ml

elaine arisman, 09/13/2003

this is our second Ml now and I are in love with the car!!! My husband suggested we look at other cars and I said absolutely not. We put 50,000 miles on our first one in less than 2 years and it wonderful, But, most of all, the service we get from Isringhausen Imports is what keeps us coming back for a mercedes!!!!

ML 350 - Our newest family member

Pete Bashara, 07/23/2003

The inspiration package is a must for the dollars -- really wish I would have sprung for the bi-xeon lights! The P38 package inspiration is true automotive value in the upper-end car market. Having driven a 2003 ML-320 for 1 week, I couldn't be happier with the 350! And talk about safety, the Greater Omaha Safety Commission baby seat installer couldn't believe the fit and the option of belt retractors not just in all 3 locations of the back seats but also for the 3rd row seat seats as well!

A Pair of Winners

derleute, 08/10/2003

I've had 2 ML320s, a leased 1999 and a purchased 2002. In 4 combined years of ownership I/ve had absolutely no problems nor any need for warranty work with either one. They keep getting better by including more standard features every year. The emergency notification system and navigation systems are terrific and Bose sound spectacular. My only minor gripe ist the 6 CD changer belongs in the dash, not in the cargo walls. Thumbs up for American craftsmanship.

Inspriation 350ML

Mark2000, 09/04/2003

Great car to drive with lots of class. Nice feel and look when you get the Inspriation Edition. Sports seats, chrome grills and instruments, trip computer, etc. Great package. The AMG seats are great with added lumbar support and full bosters. Only problem so far has been a factory recall for power steering hose clamps. $3000 dealer rebates on 2003 models.

Get out while you still can

yogamama, 09/19/2003

The M-class is a disaster. My car arbitrarily stalls since the day I rolled it off the lot. Unfortunately, the only time it does this is when I'm entering a busy road and need pick-up. Repeated trips to the dealership revealed nothing...except a waiting room of other angry M-class owners experiencing the same problem. Computer's been updated three times. My friends with C class cars are having similar problems. My guess is that Mercedes tried to make a lower priced vehicle for the "masses," and unfortunately, sacrificed quality. There are many SUV's out there for the same price-without the kinks.

Better than ever!!!

Second Timer, 10/05/2003

We traded a '02 ML430 with 78K that was the best car we ever owned. Now, the '03 ML500 takes top honors. the drive is improved and the power makes it handle like a sports car going up hills. Great tow car, smarter trans, and some new convenience features. I'm getting better mileage than the 430: over 19 mpg (mostly freeway) because the torque just eats up the hills.

2nd time around...

Ives, 12/04/2003

I replaced my 1999 ML430 with a 2003 ML350. Improvements have definitely been made with regard to ride and handiling of the '03. The 2003 has a softer feel, though I do receive more engine noise than the ML430. My two biggest gripes are the same as those I have read in other chat rooms: no stereo controls on the steering wheel and poor fuel economy. Other than that, it's a great rig in many, many ways. Dealers are very aggressive with pricing on the MLs right now, too, so it's a good time to buy!

2003 ML350 Limited Edition "Inspiration"

garyroseyu, 04/15/2003

I previously wrote a glowing review for the 2003 ML320 that I purchased Sept of 2002. Well, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, MB delivers! The "Inspiration" package is a must. What an incredible value for all those upgrades (ML55 grill, ML500 rims, AMG seats w/ Athracite Leather, Chrome Instrument Panel Rings, etc.) I noticable increase in power. The AMG seats are great with add lumbar support and full bolsters. The interior is much more sportier. This is the right choice if you are looking for class and luxury.

ML350 Exceeds All My Expectations

SilverML350, 05/28/2003

My Brilliant Silver ML350 has exceeded all of my expections. I read that these trucks were so unreliable taht I was prepared to have some problems. I have not had any problems so far.

M class it's here to stay

kakau, 06/03/2003

this vehicle it's very safe it drives smooth like a sedan with a very comfortable interor.it's made for people who enjoy a smooth afternoon ride in the neigborhood and also for those who like a big adventure. well desingend interior with premium material a good v6 engine well designed exterior with a longer wheel base that turns it a safer vehicle.

More problems than you would expect

rsingr, 10/08/2005

I purchased 4 Mercedes in 2003, (2) ML500, (1) 500S and (1) E500 The ML500's had fuse box fans that squealed for a half hour in the morning. Serious brake and tire problems. Each ML required new tires at 25,000 miles. Each has had the brakes replaced twice in 46,000 miles. ($1,400 for brakes) At 53,000 miles the brakes squeal so bad they are embarrassing to drive. Each has been in about a dozen times for various repairs. Top dollar, inferior quality, design problems and miserable service. Avoid these automobiles.

Better than I thought it would be

Kenneth, 05/25/2017
ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

They shouldn't know that it's an 8-cylinder not a six cylinder so the power is greater than average list engine can last a lot longer than a 6 cylinder engine so the wear-and-tear is lower even though the mileage is high

Fantastic car! I bought it used and well worth it!

Jeff Simons, 12/09/2017
ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Fantastic car! I bought it used and well worth it! I would highly recommend buying one!

ML500 - Very Poor Ride

Not Too Happy, 12/20/2005

I am very unhappy with the ride. MB should be ashamed, no wonder they are loosing market share like anything. What the hell were they thinking when they designed the suspension system for this thing - ML500 with $50,000. The other problem, which my dealer tells me is normal - all tires are feathering a lot, he tells me this is normal. I am supposed to change the tires every 15-20000 miles? My god the ride is just so bad - 10 mins ride and your body is ready to fall a part. never expected a donut size tire either with MB, when others have full size spare. Don't know what to do with this.

Nightmare tri star

dcs, 05/09/2003

Do not buy this SUV, what do you get for a 40K SUV: plastic, problems, bad customer services, everything could go wrong will go wrong from the engine to trans, window, etc. Shop around for your money, don't pay for the name

Best car ever

drew cooke, 10/30/2002

very fun to drive and a very stylish exterior and of course its a mercedes and that means it will have great reliability

Crappiest Mercedes

Ron mashrouteh, 11/10/2002

I'll never by another Mercedes-Benz no matter what model.

best suv ever

mer her, 11/30/2003

this was the best suv ever tested

Great suv

John conley, 06/12/2019
ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I haven't had any problems with this suv since I've had it ...

A Great SUV

Jose Martinez, 09/24/2008

I purchased this ML 500 CPO with 22,000 miles. It has performed flawlessly except for a xenon lamp (under warranty) and a faulty heated seat controller (under warranty). It performs well off road and is very comfortable on long trips. I have the Inspiration package and love the fit and finish. I would buy another.

ML 500 Inspiration Edition

Dan Steinborn, 01/04/2009

We bought this SUV new (it is our first, and only, SUV). It has always been very reliable and has provided us with the hauling capacity we needed (moving household goods and garden supplies). It has been comfortable on trips and for in city driving. Fuel economy is not this model's forte--it's a heavy vehicle with a large engine. Even though we are light footed, our in city fuel economy has always been between 12 and 13 MPG.

51050