Used 2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Never again
By Non

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

If you looking for fancy and not reliable you can count on this car. We didn't even have the car a year or have driven it enough for the issues to happen. Be careful with purchasing this truck. Since we received the car many issues happen with the engine which is terrible. More cost go into designing the car then actually focusing on making sure people stay with their purchase.

My car is a keeper
By Vicki Dabney Rooney Wells

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I don't like to change cars every few years. When I buy a car I buy it to last many years so I don't mind paying more than the average car. I like a car that also holds it's value. This Mercedes GL 450 SUV is bigger than I actually needed. We live in a destination location so we often have guests to drive around sight seeing. That's why I bought this sized car. So there's tons of space for me in it or another couple when we go out. I also feel extremely safe driving it. If I have to say anything negative about it I would say that it's not great with gas mileage but I don't drive more than every other day or even every 3 days. This car is also stylish enough to stay with me for a few more years. We have not had to spend money for expensive repairs. We take it in for it's regular checkup and I do use the best gasoline in it to keep the engine clean. Basically I feel fortunate to have this wonderful car and love driving it.

Very smooth drive but expensive to repair/maintain
By Powell

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Drives like a dream. Very reliable overall but when something does go bad the cost to repair is usually twice the highest amount you think it could be before taking it to the dealer. For example; $3K to switch out the 2 front shocks and air springs. $1K to switch out the motor on the power gate lift. Even with that extra cost it is worth it overall.

Great ride when it's not in the shop
By David M.

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Pros: Handles well for the size of the car. Love the styling. Acceleration with V8 allows you to move quickly when needed. Cons: Lots of repairs over 2 year period: engine $5000, rubber flex boot for smooth ride 3 wheels at $850 each, air diffuser 3 at $350 each, visor deteriorated $400, etc. I probably have spent $10 k in maintenance over 2 years. I did buy a 3 year extended warranty for $3,800 which covered the engine repair. Car was in the shop for 6 weeks while the warranty company validated the repair. This is not a car for the budget conscious buyer. I'm selling mine before the warranty expires.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned!
By Brian Rocha

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Thought I did the smart thing trading my LR3 in for this. Boy was I wrong. Desite Land Rovers reputation for poor reliability, mine had no major issues. Bought this with 60,000 miles on it and a 4 year warranty (thank God I did). Power liftgate only lowers when it feels like it, oil leaks, DEF tank heater, oth wheel bearings, engine mounts, transmission mounts, transmission valve body, clunking fr front suspension that dealer still hasnt fixed, second row seat back will not go back up because center seatbelt will not unlock and allow the belt to come out. Fuel economy is dismal for a diesel. I get about 20-21 mpg as long as I don't go above 75mph. Shifts at high RPM, anything more than driving like a granny makes the rpm go up to 3,000+. Have to manually upshift with the paddles, which are very slow to respond and sometimes don't respond. When i first take off in first headed to work, the engine spins up as it shifts to second followed by a jerk. Only does this once during the first drive of the morning, then its fine. I've owned an ML320 that was trouble free. Wish i could get rid of this thing, as it has given me more trouble than every other vehicle I've ever owned in my life combined. My LR3 rode alot smoother, and the suspension is so freaking slow to raise and lower. My Land Rover raised and lowered in just a couple seconds (less than 5 seconds literally!). This thing takes a minute or two and raises very very slowly, amd when it is raised it rides horribly like it has no suspension. The Land Rover rode good even in off road extended height. Was getting about 26 mpg hwy for the first few months, now im lucky if I get over 21. Only thing good about this is the compliments people give. If they only knew. Last Mercedes I'll ever buy. Think I'll go Japanese as they are far less troublesome but also BORING! The LR3 also held bigger cargo, as the roof is taller and the opening is wider despite being a more narrow vehicle than the GL. If only the LR3/LR4 had a diesel because the fuel economy was why i traded it in for the GL.