Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 322 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Almost entirely reliable for me...
By Mark

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've driven my 2002 230 Kompressor (Manual Transmission) for about 40,000 miles. I purchased it at 80k. There has been some routine maintenance... tires, brakes, and I did a $700 suspension refresh (shocks/struts/arm bushings/motor mounts/transmission mount) at 110k since the cushy Mercedes rubber had worn a bit. I could have continued to drive with the suspension as is... I chose to be preventative. The only time the car has let me down was related to the anti-theft system. The steering column lock has a junky little Chinese-made motor in it that prematurely fails. Mercedes won't sell you the part, so you are forced into letting them replace it ($2200) or being locked out of driving the car. Thankfully, I was able to buy a $25 emulator from England to cut that part out of the security system entirely. Then, I cut the lock off the steering column with my angle grinder = no more problem now or in the future. For what it's worth, Nissan, Suzuki, and others are having the same steering lock issue. The difference is that those manufacturers will sell you parts for it while Mercedes will not. I find the car to be sporty with above average acceleration (plenty of supercharged torque to spin the wheels), acceptable fuel economy (26mpg avg), and reasonable handling. It feels a bit top-heavy to me, but that's probably because of the copious safety features. This would be a solid car in an accident... much better than the Mazda I drove previously. Lots of air bags, tank-like safety cage, etc. I love the panoramic roof on mine... almost like having a convertible. There's a kit to reinforce the little motors that open it. The kit will keep it running flawlessly for a long long time. The interior is lovely and comfortable; the AC works well. Grippy tires are a must as it's rear wheel drive. Grippy tires (Pirelli P7 Cinturato+) transform the car in inclement weather. My only regret with this car is that it isn't a convertible, lol. Oh, for those on the fence, the 2002 manual transmission model is the C230K that offers the most tuning options (crank pulley for 40+ more horsepower etc) and the least engine/mechanical problems... it's the one to buy if you are looking. One caveat: the paint on these sucks. This was the start of Mercedes water-based paint, so it didn't always get sprayed evenly. As a result, cars driven in snow will need to have a few rust spots corrected earlier than competitors' cars. It sounds like I'm picking on the car a lot here, but I purchased a German engineered Mercedes Benz - the most costly hatchback ever at the time it was sold - for $5,000 with 80k miles on the odometer. Minor issues aside, it was an absolute steal, and I've enjoyed my time with it. I'm guessing that with the maintenance I've done, this car will easily see 200,000 miles with little more than oil changes. The 16 year old engine doesn't drip a thing... clean, dry, and reliable. This was the last year of the supercharged 2.3L, and it was essentially perfected.

2002 Mercedes Benz Sport Wagon a Nearly Perfect Ve
By Bob C.

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sport Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2002 C320 Sport Wagon for more than 6 years, and after owning over 125 cars in my 50+ years of driving, I can honestly say this has been one of my absolute favorite cars. It combines useful room inside (though the aerodynamic rear roof slope can intrude), excellent comfort, and absolutely outstanding fuel economy, and reliability, resulting is low cost of ownership in my case. The car just "fits" my typical stature (6 feet tall of average proportions), and is fatigue-free even after many hours of driving. If I have any gripe at all, it's the absence of Bluetooth for cellphone use (The car came with a factory supplied telephone that would now be unlawful to even use in motion.), and does not have aux inputs for audio devices, or a USB connection for digital media. It also lacks GPS navigation, though in honesty I prefer a stand-alone GPS because it can be updated at no cost. Fuel economy of 32mph highway and 26mpg suburban on regular fuel (Premium is recommended, but unless one lives in mountainous areas, or is a lead-foot, regular is just fine) is outstanding for the safety and comfort offered. In my 6+ years of ownership, the car cost me nothing in repairs (not a single parts failure), though I recently replaced a number of parts and did a transmission fluid change as a preventative measure figuring nearing 90,000 mi a new accessory belt, belt tensioner, water pump, and spark plugs, along with new coolant and transmission fluid were a sensible measure. The car still looks, feels, and handles like a new car, with no degradation as mileage has progressed.

Nice car but not the best year of C240
By Brendan

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Had lots of little quirk problems with this car, but overall it drove fairly nice and was comfortable. Definitely a timeless look. Electronics were always having some sort of problem. I recently upgraded to a 2005 and like it much better.

A Fluke Death?
By Wanda M.

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Original owner. The dealer check up before the trip was $948. At 58,000 miles the transmission/torque converter has crashed suddenly without warning! Stranded 2,000 miles from home. The BB value is $2,500 to $4,000 ,but the repairs are going to be $7,500. Without the repairs the car is just scrap parts or a donation to a school's automotive program.

Had snow / ice storm only car that could drive
By magmapdx@comcast.net

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This was a fluke purchase as found for sale and told hubby about it. Against my wishes he bought it. Well guess who is eating crow now? We had a bought of bad weather snow/ice that is not common to area. This 4matic beat my older stick 4wheel drive pick up on performance in bad road conditions. He said it was like a 4 wheel drive... now a believer what a great car.