Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Absolutely Love this car!
By Anthony

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Mercedes-Benz and just like my other car it's been a solid, reliable and fun car to drive! I will be honest the maintenance on these cars can be a little pricey if you take it somewhere to have it serviced. I work on my own cars so never had to deal with that. Once you fix the small defects on this car it's a very solid reliable ride. The 3.2L V6 engine is no slouch! It's got plenty of power and picks up speed very quickly. Currently the car has 156,000 miles and it's been running very well! Only things I've had to replace was the fuel pump and the crank position sensor. Both very inexpensive if you order them online. Everything else on this car I've replaced as they wear out. RockAuto and Ebay are the best places to get after market parts for these cars very inexpensively.

So much potential in such a little car
By Chris

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used several years ago, and it was about 10 years old at the time. Despite recommendations from friends and family to avoid a decade old German vehicle, I was drawn to the style and the way it felt when I test drove it. While certainly far from the most rare or exotic Mercedes-Benz, the car still offered a certain pizzazz the car I was driving (a fox-body Mustang) just didn't have. Mechanically, the car has been as sound as any 16 year old car can be. The headliner needed to be replaced a year or so after purchase, as did a crank position sensor and the hoods struts. Earlier this year, the driver's seat position motor also needed replaced. Otherwise, I dare say the car has been almost bulletproof. I'm not proud to say I've driven the car in exceedingly adverse conditions, including heavy flooding and sleet when I had no business being on the road. Each time the car delivered me to my destination safely. I've driven it from my home in Texas to California, Georgia and even Baja California in Mexico. Its been my commuter, grocery getter, and I've taken it to the home repair store for lumber or insulation more times than you'd think. Really, my only gripe is that I wish they spend the same attention to style, detail and build quality on the interior as they obviously did the rest of the vehicle. The grey on grey interior in my car is sort of bland, and my car came with a tape player only. When buying a Mercedes, you'd think they wouldn't nickle and dime you for a CD player. The seats are also a little firm, but most people probably won't notice because they won't drive it 11 or 12 hours at a time the way I have driven mine. I have almost 140,000 miles on my car and plan to keep it for years to come. After all, being 90% of brilliant is still being pretty darn good!

Never Again!!!!!
By Ross

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

2001-C240, 165,000 miles. I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER buy another Mercedes. 1) I had to unplug the power seats because they drain the battery if left plugged in overnight. 2) Automatic trunk opener does not work. 3) Sunroof does not open properly. 4) Cup holder does not work. 4) Dash lights do not work. 5) It sounds like either the rear bearings or the transmission is going out. 5) Poor gas mileage (20-23 mpg). 6) two spark plugs per cylinder. Each spark plug cost $20.00. 7) The rear window shade does not work properly. 8) Cigarette lighter does not work. I do not smoke but I need it to keep my phone charged. 9) CD changer does not work properly. 10) The radio will shut off on its own but if I open the passenger side door the radio comes back on. A mechanic told me that the engine will last forever but the rest of the car will cost you your house! I have a 1995 Toyota Camry with 395,000 miles on it and everything still works.

Great Car ... For the price paid
By Michael

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

An extremely fun, forgiving car. Definitely enjoy taking this car on back-roads using the tip-tronic transmission. as expected a lot of maintenance involved in owning a Mercedes.

Love-Hate this car
By Tim Z

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car in 2008 with 50k miles on it for $11,000. I traded in my 1998 Cadillac deVille for what I called my "German Experiment". The 2001 C320 has some very nice features. It handles well on the highway and the engine is bullet-proof. There are so many little things that have gone wrong. The power seat controls, the air damper that controls the vent/floor air, the rear window shade, a $900 gas pump, the 6-CD player, and more. The single-most bothersome problem is the paint. Soon after I purchased the car I noticed very small rust bubbles on the door panels and front and rear fenders. Over time they have grown to be large rust spots -the size of silver dollars and larger. What a disappointment! These are certainly not the Mercedes Benz of the 1970's and 80's. I recently went back to a Cadillac and will probably never purchase a Mercedes again. This German Experiment has failed.