2021 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews

$26,830

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Best Miata Yet!

Dr. Roger Tilton, 05/17/2021
Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I just recently bought a new Miata grand touring manual shift. I should mention that I have driven only Miatas since they first came out in 1989, and this will be my sixth. My first very pleasant surprise was the appearance. I wanted the Soul Red Crystal but based on the pictures on the dealer's website it didn't look too good with the gray top which is all that any of the dealers had in the grand touring. I went to test drive one, and when I saw the red with the gray top in person I almost fainted. The color combination looked just fantastic in person and nothing like the picture. My car until then was a 2016 soul red special edition with the tan interior which looked great, but this looked even better. The red is deeper and more beautiful than before which I didn't think was possible. In fact I think this is the most beautiful red I have ever seen in a car including Ferraris and Corvettes, and other people tell me that when they see my car. (I got the first compliment on the color on the test drive from another driver at a stoplight who said he loved the color.) I tell people it looks like a $100,000 car, but I honestly can't think of a $100,000 car that looks this beautiful. With the gray top it adds a sense of elegance. I had been a little concerned, because this car has a sports suspension which now comes with the grand touring manual, since I have always had the regular suspension desiring a smoother ride. However with the sports suspension it is just fine and in fact better overall. It felt a little bit rougher on a not so smooth road during my test drive, but then I decided I had better check the tire pressure. Mazda recommends 29 psi which is inside the driver's side door. Sure enough the dealer had 50 psi in all four tires which I then corrected. I have had the car for a week now and have driven 500 miles. All I can say is that as much as I loved my 2016 Miata this one is better in every way. The added horsepower added in 2019 is very noticeable and just puts the driving experience on a higher level. And on a decent road the ride quality is better than ever. It is even smoother than my 2016, and there's something about the overall feel of the car on the road that is just sensational. You feel this on the freeway at high speeds but even at just about any speed unless it's a really rough road. It's 0-60 time of 5.7 and it's quarter mile time of 14.4 is comparable to the former Honda S2000 and to the 2013 Porsche Boxster which were formidable cars. I used to love the Boxster, but I test drove one a couple of years ago and in the manual shift I was really disappointed. You almost couldn't drive it normally in the city, because you would be going 70 mph in second gear. I like the Miata better which is more like the Boxster use to be. When I say everything is better with this Miata than my 2016 that includes the clutch which is even easier than before and something, about the integration of the manual shifter and the clutch which seems even more seamless. With all of my Miatas I always thought they couldn't be improved upon, but each one is noticeably better than the one before. However this ND2 is really something else. The subjective enjoyment factor in driving this car is really off the charts. If you watch some of the current YouTube reviews with young guys who say they had never driven a Miata and had some negative preconceived ideas about it, they are noticeably blown away when they are test driving it. It's also nice to have the Apple Car Play which can be connected wirelessly on the grand touring, and the black leather with white stitching looks really nice. This Miata is the best ever and is truly a remarkable car. Given the looks, performance, and overall driving enjoyment there really is no car I would rather have.

Best bang for the buck!

Wes, 05/22/2021
Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I’ve owned several high end exotic sports cars and this car is more fun to drive than any of them. It’s unpretentious and a great value for top down sporty motoring and one of the few cars you can still buy with a fully manual transmission. Impeccable quality, fit, and finish - better than our BMW or Lexus and reminds me of the surgical precise feel of my Porsche C4S.

3 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars
5 out of 5 stars

Most fun of any car ive ever been in.

Mark hoyle, 05/18/2021
Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Ive had a 2000 vette, two mini coopers (which I loved), multiple Chevy ford Lexus Nissan Mitsubishi land rover Honda Toyota cars and trucks (I'm old!) and this is the most fun of any car ive ever had. Its my daily driver. The handling is phenomenal. Its sweet spot is 90-100mph but even at slower speeds its a blast. The cornering is fantastic. Its like driving a comfortable go cart daily! Could it use a smoother ride and more storage ...yes but it would add weight and size and its perfect size now for anyone 6'2" and under (I'm 5'10"). 32 mpg and I drive it like I stole it! Had it 6 mos now. I suspect I will trade it in for every new major update until I die or until the other companies make something similar. Havent had a "stick" since my 20's but stick is the way to go here. Very easy to shift. Mark hoyle Dallas Texas.

ad labelAd
  • $26,830starting MSRP

Little red GT

Ohio AJ, 03/14/2021
Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The Miata GT is a bit small and pricy, but it's the best little sports car out there for the money.

4 out of 5 stars

Nice drive, very light steering could be tighter

Gina, 07/06/2021
Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have the 2021 MX-5 Grand Touring RF. Let me start off by saying I am coming into this 2 seater from having a BMW Z3 forever. Let me talk about the cons first - 1) my battery died for no apparent reason 4 days into ownership (not a good feeling but, at least, I was stranded at a friend's house who could jump me. 2) It is the Grand Touring model and Mazda has not figured out how to give you a full multi-way power driving seat! For us short girls, the seat needs to have the ability to lift and not just your knees. My 24 year old BMW has that, Mazda needs to catch up. 3) The steering is not as tight as I am accustomed to. I think in time I will install a brace to see if I can't get it a little better. 4) It has a large blind spot behind the passenger seat. 5) The apple carplay is iffy on connection - even when hardwired. Those are my observations that are disappointing. The pros are 1) she is a light feeling, peppy drive. 2) I like the shifting on the sport mode. 3) Braking is good. 4) I like the fact that in my model it is more like a T-top and not a full convertible. 5) and I have the Soul Red which is really beautiful and gets so many compliments.