Used 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Hard to beat
By Roger Tilton

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is my 5th Miata having owned only Miatas since they came out in 1990. And each one is better than the one before. Design wise this is probably the most beautiful Miata. Mazda has always had some outstanding colors for the Miata and the soul red (which I have) is probably as pretty a red as I have ever seen on a sports car. If you want a good idea how great this car is look at the August, 2016 edition of Road & Track. The Miata is featured on the cover with the Ferrari 488 Spyder which is a 300 thousand dollar car. In the article it talks about the two cars almost as being equals in terms of subjective satisfaction. And this is just a 30 thousand dollar car! I also should mention that Miatas have exceptional reliability with almost nothing going wrong mechanically. On the 2016 model I really appreciate the upgraded entertainment center with Bluetooth and HD radio as well as a navigation system. I also find the blind spot monitoring to be an excellent safety feature while I find the automatic windshield wipers to be really cool and I've always really liked Bose car stereos. Also I should add that I received something from Mazda saying that the 2016 Miata received both the car of the year and the car design of the year from the international automobile journalists, and no car had ever won both of these in the same year. I can't imagine someone buying a Miata and regretting it.

Yet Another Glowing Review
By MoodyHank

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

If you understand and accept the compromises that had to be made to make the car so fun at this price point then it will be one of your most pleasant car ownership experiences ever. Yes, it is loud and cramped compared to any normal car but it is also immensely fun. With a set of winter tires it is surprisingly good in snow (decent ground clearance and very short overhangs), gets excellent gas mileage (40+ MPG in the 9k miles I put on it) and super easy to drive thanks to excellent clutch-/shifter combo, great visibility, and light steering. I haven't had a single issue with the car so far and my first (5k) service cost less than $50.

ATLAST94
By PAULIE75

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

ATLAST94 is my personalized plate..I met my wife in 1994 and ATLAST means I have waited for 30 yrs to find a perfect 2 seaters convertible at an affordable price with all the latest technologies. OK here is my review and suggestions: DO NOT BUY THIS CAR : If you are over 5'9" and weight over 185 lbs..IT DOESN'T WORK.(SAME FOR YOUR LADY). It's not for practicality..It comes with a small trunk for 2 small carry-ons for strickly a weekend getaway only..The interior built for you like a cockpit and it cradles you and your girl and that's it..It's for 2 persons..It will not have a telescopy steering wheel for your own safety..I wanted top of the line is Grand Touring model..I want all the bells and whistles..The car is $33,500..I bought a 2016 model Mazda Miata Grand Touring with only 4300 miles and I paid $24k ...I think it's a great deal for a car like almost new..WHY PAY $33.5k plus tax etc..Today is 2-16-2018 by the way.. The only thing I wish it has is a spare tire!!! The car is light and it corners like it's on rails, it is very nimble and you feel like your are going fast lol..Gotta have the top down to hear the wind noise and the Bose speakers are jamming in your ears..It's fantastic. It's exhilarating to drive..I bought an automatic so my wife could drive it too plus also I drink at parties so she can drive me home lol..It is automatic but you can drive in manual with shifters on steering wheel..The car is driving like a true roadster..You can't compare this car with AUDI A5 convertible or BMW etc..It's not a fair judgement..For the amount of money this car offers..YOU CAN'T GO WRONG.....Remember, this car is nor your everyday driving to work..It's not ever to be driven in winter..It's not ever to be towing anything..It's a toy and it's only designed for weekend.....GET IT? WEEKEND CAR ONLY....SO STOP [non-permissible content removed] ABOUT SPACE AND PRACTICALITY>>>>>>>>

Fun Car, but too many problems
By B Love

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Soft top replaced twice. Transmission replaced twice due to gears breaking (yes - they break). Both are known problems with TSB's, and the transmission failure will leave you stranded. But, the biggest is that the master brake cylinder failed in traffic. I could have been killed as the car wouldn't stop at a traffic light. The car is fun when it works, but significant problems will strand you (transmission failure) or kill you (master brake cylinder failure). All of the above occurred before 5000 miles and the car was not driven hard. Sold the car at a huge lost, but am glad to be alive.

Immensely fun
By Jack Pyle

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Acceleration and cornering make this an amazingly fun car to drive. It is totally impractical as far as storage is concerned: no glove box or door slots for maps, trunk will hold one carry on and a small tote bag. But who cares? Zoom, zoom. I love the blind spot monitoring and rear warnings of cars behind when backing up. It's comfort is tops. I love it more and more as I drive it.