Used 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

2 years of fun
By Larry Schweitzer

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car as a fun toy, it has delivered. Totally impractical, knew that going in. I don't like the white on black instrument panel. Hard to see especially in bright sun. I've owned a Corvette, fun to drive but low quality, A hot Mustang convertible, and a Honda hatchback, an excellent car. I've had no problems with the Mazda. I rarely push it hard. It has good acceleration, a beautiful clutch and transmission, rag top works great, doesn't leak. I go top down when ever weather permits. I usually put regular gas in, it doesn't complain, great mileage. I wish it had a bit more interior storage. Has a beautiful red paint job. It is my daily drive but I also have access to a more practical car.

Hard to beat
By Roger Tilton

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is my 5th Miata having owned only Miatas since they came out in 1990. And each one is better than the one before. Design wise this is probably the most beautiful Miata. Mazda has always had some outstanding colors for the Miata and the soul red (which I have) is probably as pretty a red as I have ever seen on a sports car. If you want a good idea how great this car is look at the August, 2016 edition of Road & Track. The Miata is featured on the cover with the Ferrari 488 Spyder which is a 300 thousand dollar car. In the article it talks about the two cars almost as being equals in terms of subjective satisfaction. And this is just a 30 thousand dollar car! I also should mention that Miatas have exceptional reliability with almost nothing going wrong mechanically. On the 2016 model I really appreciate the upgraded entertainment center with Bluetooth and HD radio as well as a navigation system. I also find the blind spot monitoring to be an excellent safety feature while I find the automatic windshield wipers to be really cool and I've always really liked Bose car stereos. Also I should add that I received something from Mazda saying that the 2016 Miata received both the car of the year and the car design of the year from the international automobile journalists, and no car had ever won both of these in the same year. I can't imagine someone buying a Miata and regretting it.

Yet Another Glowing Review
By MoodyHank

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

If you understand and accept the compromises that had to be made to make the car so fun at this price point then it will be one of your most pleasant car ownership experiences ever. Yes, it is loud and cramped compared to any normal car but it is also immensely fun. With a set of winter tires it is surprisingly good in snow (decent ground clearance and very short overhangs), gets excellent gas mileage (40+ MPG in the 9k miles I put on it) and super easy to drive thanks to excellent clutch-/shifter combo, great visibility, and light steering. I haven't had a single issue with the car so far and my first (5k) service cost less than $50.

ATLAST94
By PAULIE75

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

OK, first thing first..Do your homework before you even think about a convertible 2 seaters. This MX5 Mazda Miata is made for 2 for a weekend getaway..Therefore, you can't be more than 5 feet 8 inches and weight over 190lbs!!! The trunk space is only fits 2 carryons for a romantic weekend getaway with your lover! It's not made for shopping etc.. It's a convertible and it's designed for a top down to let your hair flows out in the wind and enjoy the noise from the engine.. The Japanese are very smart and took them over 25 years or so to build you a FANTASTIC 2 seaters convertible with a very affordable price. Yes, there are other convertibles out there are more room and faster but the price tag will be over $50+ k..The Mazda MX5 Miata feels just right..I have always believed to buy the top of the line cars.. So I bought the Grand Touring model..Didn't want to get the RF(retractable roof)..It's not a convertible! This car comes with Boses system with 9 speakers !!! The price tag for this model is $32,500..I purposely didn't want a brand new car with the sticker price lol..So I found my 2016 with only 4300 miles because some big and tall guy bought it and hated it because he rushed into it and found out it wasn't for him lol..So his loss and my gain..I got this baby for under $24k.......No glove box by your passenger's knees, no spare tire, no telescopic steering wheel, the windshield visors are small and made out of plastic and no lights when you open your little mirrors to check out your beautiful smiles lol..(They can't have a normal size visors because it will block your vision). So please know all these things that I said in here and buy it if you will and enjoy the car for what it is...Oh, you are crazy to buy this car to drive it in the winter and towing something...These 2 things are not made for a MIATA...So good luck and enjoy..

Fun Car, but too many problems
By B Love

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Soft top replaced twice. Transmission replaced twice due to gears breaking (yes - they break). Both are known problems with TSB's, and the transmission failure will leave you stranded. But, the biggest is that the master brake cylinder failed in traffic. I could have been killed as the car wouldn't stop at a traffic light. The car is fun when it works, but significant problems will strand you (transmission failure) or kill you (master brake cylinder failure). All of the above occurred before 5000 miles and the car was not driven hard. Sold the car at a huge lost, but am glad to be alive.