Used 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Just over 200,000 miles MX 5 SE
By Scuba Diver

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Convertible

Over the years I have replaced the radiator with an after market aluminum one with larger coils.. The car ran hot and blew the old plastic one while I was at my girlfriends place.. My wife didn't like that.. Hehe.... I also replaced the dual cooling fans with after market ones.. The car runs nice and cool, even in the hot West Texas summers now.... That was after 10 years of use.. Replaced the vinyl top that just wore out after 14 years of use.. Replaced it with a cloth top with glass window and defroster.. Highly recommend replacing top with cloth.. Cuts the noise down and just feels and looks much better.. Replaced alternator after 17 years of use.. Over $200 for that part.. Had a spark plug blow out on me after 17 years.. Very easy to replace that with a kit.. Kit is not expensive.. Had two rear brake rotors replaced.. $800 for that brake job after 16 years.. The heater coil is bad and needs replacing.. That started to go bad in 2017.. The driver seat wore a hole in it due to the constant getting in and out of it... I just purchased a repair kit for it and it looks okay.. Will replace the seat this year.. The car started to bottom out after 17 years, so I replaced the struts.. It still bottomed out in the rear, so I replaced the springs all the way around with standard replacement springs.. Fixed that issue.. Not as expensive as you would think.. Struts do run over $1100 installed.. Insurance is cheap in my opinion for full coverage.. If you are looking to buy this year model Miata, please make sure you look EVERYTHING over COMPLETELY.. Over all I would guess I've spent in the neighborhood of $5000 in replacement parts to include labor.. Most likely less.. Well worth it to me.. It still runs great.. I run it hard to work and back.. It runs very well.. I had it up to 110 MPH just the other day.. LOL... What a champ ! Hope this helps you all...

Little red roadster
By Peg

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Not what I was expecting! Mazda, what did you do!?
By JP Shepley

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Oh boy... This car. No matter what car you own right now, this Mazda is slower. Not only will your fellow man make fun of you for owning one, but women won't be impressed either. This car turns heads, if you're like 10 years old. My Miata was given to me as a graduation gift and while it was an extremely nice gesture, I would have rather received a moped. Ever since I've been driving this car I've noticed other Miata drivers waving at me like I'm their best friend and its really gross. I know I sound very pessimistic but I'm being completely honest. The radio on my Miata is the stock one and it is a disaster. Not only do I have to jam the power button in to turn the radio off/on but when I turn the volume up the radio cuts off. If you want to feel like you just played a pick up game of Basketball in the hot dry sun then put the top down on a Miata and go for a spin. Every time I get out of the car my back is soaked and I'm not a big guy either, its very unprofessional. The car never seems to get cold enough and my Freon levels are at max. The glove box and arm rest storage compartments are made of a cheap plastic that breaks and crumbles if you don't baby it. The stock carpets don't stay in place when you drive and all the warning sign stickers begin to peel and flake off all over the place. I constantly feel unsafe in this car and at every stop light I look behind myself to make sure I'm not about to get rear ended because if I did, I would most likely die. The car is reliable don't get me wrong, but is reliability really a sacrifice you want to make when you loose the pizzazz and thrill of something far superior. Now comes the most important part. I have truly wanted to write this review purely on this one topic but found myself with a list of other pressing issues I felt needed to shared with future buyers. The acceleration on this car is horrendous. Not only have I lost stoplight sprints to Volkswagen Beetles but my Miata won't even win against older NA generation(1989-1998) Miata's. This car is SLOW and anyone who disagrees clearly hasn't driven a car before. If there is ONE redeeming quality about this car it is the handling. I've owned a Mercedes-Benz SLK previously and I can honestly say the Miata would have it in the corners. The car looks OK for an early 2000s car, but it most definitely tried to take some design queues from the Jaguar XK8. I thought Miata's had a reputation for being affordable, fast and stylish but in truth they're just female repellents and loser attractors.

O.K., But......
By mikehs2

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

Remember this car was designed by the Japanese to imitate the experience of the MG. The MG was designed for the very winding roads of back woods England, 35-45 M.P.H. They totally hit the mark,if you drive a lot on very windy country roads, or just drive around town to Safeway and Starbucks. However, if you are on the freeway at all, this is not an "Autobahn" car. At 60 M.P.H. the R.P.M.'s are 3,500+. It has 5 speeds. So, on any normal vehicle the R.P.M. should be about 1,800. Realistically, with the right gear ratio, this car could get 45-50 M.P.G at 60. Watch out for the plastic radiator. It will fail between 120K-130K.

O.K. for chicks who want to look cool. Not for guys 5'6", or above.

Up the gear ratio. On "Click and Clack" they commented on the fact that the Miata could "Climb a tree". True, but terrible on the open road, i.e. I-5, S.F. to L.A.

Makes you excited to wake up
By rst900

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Convertible

I bought my 2000 SE 4 months ago and I.m driving it for my daily commute.It still keeps me excited and makes me wake up early than I used to just so I can have more time to drive it. Problem is I've been putting more miles to it than I should, approximately 3000 miles a month, and I get to work late almost every time. But I always get to work with a smile on my face :-)

I never did anything myself to maintain cars that i used to drive, this one just gets to you and makes you want to do everything yourself. It's relatively easy to maintain. Parts are relatively cheap and easy to find.

The hinge in the center console brakes too easy. The warning sign paint on the visor falls off like powder.