Used 2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Love the Car, Hate the MPG
By Matthew

2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV s Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have loved the car since day one and still do at 65,600 miles, and the black cherry color is beautiful day and night. I'm 5'8 and with the driver seat as far down as possible my head just about hits the ceiling. Other than that the seats are comfortable and we love the heated seats in the front, except the back seats are very cramped and there is virtually no leg room. The headlights are terrible at night so we have to turn on the brights which just look normal, I'm replacing them LEDs soon. Since owning the car we had to buy a bigger battery, because the stock battery could not handle the equipped electronics, interior light bulbs, both headlights, new breaks, a few recalls - all done for free, engine air filter, and cabin air filter. The MPG is amazing on the highway but in town, it doesn't even come close to what Mazda puts out. The AWD system is always on and doesn't have a button to turn it on, which contributes to the horrible MPG. This car may be a gas hog but it handles deep snow on country roads like a beast. If you have the money for gas I highly recommend this car.

Premature death
By Stan Watson

2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV s Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The ignition coils went at 134k. The plugs went at 59k. The fuel injectors failed at 133k. Cost more to fix than it is worth.

Love my Mazda - ZOOM ZOOM
By kng rthor

2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Recently had all recalls repaired at no cost. New tires with less than 100 miles were a bit pricey but I love this vehicle, it runs great, feels great and looks great. ZOOM ZOOM!!!

Ride is so smooth
By Paul

2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV i SV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Very pleased overall with this suv. Great ride and dependable

Transmission and batteries.
By Kcabebe

2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

All of the cars I own have more than 200K miles on them, I take care of my cars. That being said let me get into my story. The car had been repaired by the dealership at -closed- Mazda in Fremont, CA rear bumper damage during transport, this was not disclosed to us until after we complained we found pink bondo underneath chipped paint. Who repairs a plastic bumper with bondo? That isn't the cars fault, this was the dealer so onto the actual car.
I like the amenaties of the car Bluetooth, awesome speakers sun roof tineed back windows. The ride is good acceleration is good brakes are good, except for the parking brake, which I think is useless, car completely rocks forward after setting luckily the actual park gear is their. Seats are comfy steering is average design and look of the car is good. Plenty of space, road noise, I don't notice road noise much but I listen to music with my windows rolled up. Tires, wow one brand makes your tires, special order, ~$200 a tire, go to costco they have a great warranty service. I had to replace the battery around 36K miles, replaced it with a $200 5 year battery warranty from O'Reilly awesome place a bit expensive but I like the peace of mind. I do not like the placement of the side impact airbags located near the front windshield on both passenger and driver side, this is a very bad flaw in design, it restricts vision to the corners of the car. This is very annoying because it is supposed to protect you. I'm not trying to say it completely blinds you, but it is blocking some portion of a very important spot in your vision, bad. Other than that the car is aesthetically pleasing and very spacious gas is ok. This is my major problem with the car, I have a service warranty on the car covers oil changes and maintenance, I love it every car should have this service, but wish I opted for the extended warranty for power train and transmission. Here is the story:

2011 MAZDA CX-7
I have owned this car for less than 4 years and it has ~40K miles on it. On October 30, 2015, my wife called me distressed, saying that the car sounded funny on the freeway driving to work. Luckily, after exiting she was able to park the car close by in a metered parking area safely. Later that day, while on her lunch break, she got back into the car and attempted to leave. She normally started the car, released the parking brake, put the car in reverse, lifted her foot off the brake and the car did nothing. At this point, she called me and alerted me of the issue. Our insurance company offers free towing, so we took advantage of that, thank you AAA. We towed the car to the Mazda dealership and they were nice enough to take the car in for storage until repair day. Our car is outside of it warranty. My younger brother also has a Mazda CX-7, but it is an older model 2010. This anomaly also occurred with his car, last year. His Mazda needed a new transmission, which I am assuming will happen to me.

Video proof and footage:

I hope this helps you guys. I don't usually write reviews but when I do, it's bad.