Used 2016 Mazda CX-3 SUV Consumer Reviews

Used CX-3 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Love the handling and styling of my new Mazda CX-3

Steven, 11/04/2015
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I had a 2016 Acura that I purchased earlier this year and it had a defect that could not be fixed so I decided to trade that car in. I saw the CX-3 on the road and loved the styling. I started researching and read the really good reviews on Consumer Reports and other various you tube reviews. I went and test drove the car and was not disappointed. I had a Mazda 6 in the past and this car handles like a little sports car and is very fun to drive. The acceleration is great, fit and finish are first rate. I was disappointed that you could not get a power seat, but to be honest I have not missed it. The Bose System sounds great, the navigation, bluetooth and infotainment system are really easy to use. There is a mute button instead of an on/off switch for the stereo so that also took some getting use to. The gas milage is really good and even with it small fuel tank I am only filling up once a week. For a small car the ride is very good, it is firm, but that is what makes it such a great handling car. Road noise is really good and even though the engine has a course sound to it, it sounds really sporty. I choose Soul Red with Almond Leather interior, it is beautiful. Update: The Mazda CX-3 is a great car, I still love it now with 6700 miles. It really handles well, has great acceleration for a small engine and looks very attractive.

Fun and comfortable car

SteveOakley, 05/25/2016
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've owned the car for about a month and so far I love it. The interior is the nicest I've ever owned. The car is surprisingly quick for only 146hp, and is much more fun to drive than the CX-5. The NHSTA safety scores were just released and it scored the highest 5 Star rating. It's one of those cars that looks more expensive than it is. It has a perfect balance of luxury and sporty fun to drive dynamics. The only cons are that the cargo space isn't the best if the back seats are up and in use, and the fuel tank capacity is too small for this car. I have too many trips to the gas station compared to previous cars I've owned. It really needs an additional 1 or 2 gallons more capacity and then it would be perfect. Overall, great car though. *Update: After owning the car for 7 months and racking up about 14k miles, I'm still enjoying the car and its been very reliable so far. The only issue is the navigation software has some issues every now and then, but that can be corrected by a future firmware upgrade. The other thing that can get annoying is the armrest/cup holder set up. This needs to be changed/upgraded in future models. --I recently had the opportunity to take a 6 hour road trip with my family of 4(including me) driving up the coast of California. The car handled everything well, especially a heavily rain storm we caught on the way up. The AWD was excellent. The car was so steady, with NO hydroplanning at all. I averaged about 33mpg highway miles on the trip. Again though, the biggest issues that needs to be addressed in future models is a larger gas tank. Just another gallon or 2 would be perfect, otherwise I've been getting less than 300 miles on a full tank. Don't get me wrong, no car is perfect, I still love the car and am glad I bought it. It's a great and unique looking car and fun to drive. **Update #2: (11-28-19) after about 3 and a half years of use and I’m now at 72k miles. The car has still been reliable. No major issues. The only 2 things I would really change is the infotainment system, the software is slow and the navigation isn’t always accurate. The infotainment screen is also starting to crack a little on the corner. The other thing that Mazda has already changed In its newer models is the armrest which was always the flimsiest part of the car. Other than that, still happy with the car. The stock tires lasted 68k miles before I had to change them.

Great Car!!

Sally, 04/29/2016
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've had the CX-3 Sport AWD for about two months and I can honestly say that it handles incredibly well. The drive is very comfortable, and engine is very responsive. Cabin noise is very minimal (compared to my 2013 Honda Fit, this Mazda CX-3 is a massive improvement). I'm averaging about 26 MPG with mostly city driving. Seats are very comfortable and the technology inside is very user friendly and ergonomic. Only drawback is that the back seat is small. But other than that everything is great!

great car

Caroline Wise, 02/23/2016
Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

, , I have had this car now for 1 1/2 years and continue to be impressed with it. It runs well, is reliable, and having the ability to extend the trunk space makes carrying bulky items easier.

Still Enjoying Our CX-3!

Connor McCollum, 12/30/2015
Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My parents and I have now owned our 2016 Mazda CX-3 Touring for a year and seven months as of June 2018 and we couldn't be happier. I've had my own car for a while now so I don't get to drive the Mazda as often as I used to. However, there's nothing to complain about on the driving experience. It is a very peppy, fun-to-drive car with good acceleration, great braking, and decent visibility despite having the typical thick airbag contained pillars. I love the rear-view camera on the giant iPad-like infotainment screen. It takes up the whole screen instead of being a puny little iPod size camera tucked in the center stack like a lot of cars. Also, the blind spot monitor really helps in traffic and on the highway, although it is a little sensitive as it goes off every time when you're turning in a dual turn lane which catches you off guard. Like I mentioned before, I love the simplistic interior layout with easy-to-use climate controls, steering wheel mounted controls, part digital and analog gauge cluster, round a/c vents, and the two-tone color scheme. To me it's one of the best modern car interiors you can get on a strict budget. It ain't no luxury car but it does feel pretty well-equipped for a sub-$20,000 compact crossover. It has had it's fair share of teething issues along the way like many all new models in the first year of production do. For example, there was a major problem with the headlights leaking. Everytime when it rains or you wash the car, the headlights would fill with water. Eventually it dried but it risked blowing the headlight bulb and daytime running light bulb. At first it was just the passenger-side and then it eventually spread to the driver-side. They've been replaced since then and seal water just fine but an example of teething issues for an all new model. In the summer of last year, we got a recall notice in the mail about the hatch struts. It mentioned that they will corrode overtime and result in them falling on your head. So we had to go to the dealer and get the struts replaced which work like a dime and are even a little thinner than the old ones. The hatch also seems to open more easily and faster. Although teething issues are expected in many cars and I still enjoy the car regardless, I do wish it had a few more features that you can get without upgrading to the most expensive Grand Touring package such as LED headlights and daytime running lights, LED taillights, foglights, nicer wheels, and suede seat accents. However, this will not stop me from dissing this car. It's been a joy to own and drive for the last couple of years and we plan to hold on to it for even longer. Hopefully Mazda will continue to make this car as I don't see a whole lot of them on the roads despite being released three years ago.

What it is --- and what its not

T, 01/08/2016
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The CX-3 isn't for everyone, and I'm not sure whether it is properly classified or considered a "crossover"---whatever that means. I initially didn't give the CX-3 much thought because it is very compact. However, if you look more closely, this car---a subcompact hatchback---offers a lot of features and value for the dollar (especially Touring trim) if you don't regularly transport more than a couple of adults or much cargo. Its not going to win many drag races, but it handles well and is more fun to drive than any of the other AWD vehicles that I test drove (including the CX-5). It also isn't intended for off-road use (not many crossovers or SUVs are), but it has handled snow-packed dirt roads without any problems. I'm getting about 29 mpg in mostly city driving to this point. Again, the CX-3 isn't for everyone. If you want/need an AWD vehicle but don't need much room or off-road capability, take a look at this car and judge it for what it is. Update: I am now doing most of my driving to and from work on a freeway, and my car's fuel economy calculator is now reporting an average of 33.9 mpg for the life of the car. I've also recently had to drive through snow and slush: while this isn't suited to off-road driving, the AWD system works well and has gotten me through some rough conditions. However, I had to use tire chains once because the stock tires (which have worn well but now have almost 50,000 miles) lost traction going uphill on a slush-covered dirt road. This is, again, a small car with inherent limitations. If Mazda is listening, I wish that it had a little more length and a larger fuel tank.

Seriously Fun To Drive

Ing Beukert, 11/27/2015
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I drove the new Honda CRV as well as the Mazda CX3 before buying a couple months ago. While the Honda had more interior storage space, there was no comparison with the driving experience. The CX3 rides smoother and is quieter and is just a sweet, sweet driving experience. Almost like you are part of the car. The interior finish is impeccable. Very stylish and not run of the mill.

SUV with sport car personality

robscx-3, 01/06/2016
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned the 2016 CX-3 for a couple of months now. I love it! It is the most fun to drive car that I have owned. (and over the years I have owned many). It is the most stylish sub compact SUV on the market, and the interior is upscale. The Bose sounds great...and the array of safety tech features is awesome. The only consideration is limited back seat space. Otherwise, a no brainer in comparison to its competitors....Especially if you love to drive.

Favorite car ever!

Michael Yanke, 02/18/2016
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Originally I looked passed the CX-3 because I thought it didn't have enough power. After the salesman had me test drive one I was happily surprised at how peppy it felt. This car is so fun to drive. The handling is fantastic like a little go cart. I live in Minneapolis and had a great opportunity to try it out in the snow. The all wheel drive is amazing. I was able to plow though 6+ inches of snow up steep hills with no problem. If you have kids or need a lot of cargo space you may want to look at he CX-5.

My Little Soul Red CX-3 (rest in pieces)

Kirk, 02/04/2016
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I wish I could post of picture my mangled CX-3 after someone decided to run a stop sign and plow into another car, when then plowed into me, destroying my 3 week old car. I am 6'2" so being able to walk away from that accident is a testament to the car's crash worthiness despite it's size and low weight. Anywho, it is totaled and first thing I am doing is getting another one. Not because it saved me from serious injury, but because it is a great car (I traded a 2014 Audi A4 to get it). Pros: Very comfortable front seats and suede-like inserts keep them from being so cold in the winter. Speaking of which, the seat heaters are extremely toasty. I really like Mazda's entertainment system, but I just came out of an Audi whose MMI system is very similar. Wife states Bluetooth sounds very good. I drive a lot for my job and was averaging slightly more than 30mpg which is pretty remarkable for an AWD vehicle. Drove it briefly in this year's snow storm and it handled it fine. Not nearly as well as my wife's Grand Cherokee, but well enough. I love the size of this car, but it is likely too small for a family. To call this car a crossover is kind of silly as a Ford Focus is bigger and the CX-3 has the same ground clearance as the Mazda3 sedan. It handles well and is relatively quiet inside. In that regard it is no Audi, but it is good for a sub-compact car. I find it easy to get in and out of (much easier than the Audi) and ergonomics are spot on. Simple layout of controls (trip odometer, tach, digital speed, HVAC system), reminds me of cars 10-15 years ago when everything was so straightforward. Cons: No center console storage and the arm rest blocks the cupholders. Bose system is good, but not great. Sub in trunk does not do much. No SD card slot (except for Nav system). Two USB ports, but no where to hide the things you plug into them. No standard front or rear parking sensors. No power tailgate. Absolutely tiny trunk. Gas tank way too small. I have to fill up every three days, which by the way only costs $17. No car is perfect, but for the money, this car is pretty darn good. And throw in Mazda reliability, you got a home run. I am looking forward to getting another one as soon as my other one is paid off by insurance. UPDATE: Got my new CX-3 the week following the accident. Exactly the same except for the color (Titanium Flash Mica). Get lots of compliments about the car and the color. Averaging about 30mpg now in the summer with the AC on. Still love it, no issues except that it does have a little bit of trouble restarting once warm, no issues with cold start. Motor Trend had noticed the same thing. It always starts, just takes a second or two to crank. Overall very happy.

12345...6