Used 2014 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used 3 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Luxury build, Mazda Pricing

mazda3dallas, 05/14/2014

I trade in for a new car every 2 years so have lots of comparison. My last car was a BMW Z4 and this car handles just as well but with better interior build quality and runs on Reg unleaded. I'm glad I got the upgraded 3S engine b/c it never feels underpowered, its quite quick. I love all the standard GT features, but didn't opt for the tech package as I don't want my car bossing me around, let alone the added cost. I just completed a 300 mile highway road trip and got 37.8 MPG, driving 70-85mph. However, MPG for me drops considerably in city driving around Dallas as I average 25-26 in town. I've had no problems with Mazda Connect or Navigation, everything works flawlessly for me.

Amazingly fun for the price

pmckenzie2004, 05/02/2015
i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've have my 2014 Mazda3i sedan for a year, and it's been outstanding--no problems, very fun to drive, good gas mileage. It's tremendously fun to drive, and comfortable. Even my lowest-trim-level car feels upscale, not cheap. 2016 UPDATE: Still going strong after 2 straight years. No issues at all. UPDATE: 35,000 miles and still going strong. No problems at all. UPDATE: 57,000 miles, still love it. Need rear brakes and rotors yearly, but that's partly due to driving a lot and living in Pittsburgh (hills!). UPDATE: 71,000 miles, still going strong. No maintenance problems, I am following the "Severe" schedule in the user manual. Had to replace the low beam headlight bulbs but that is simple (the manual is clear on where the screws are).

Great car!

krisskross, 01/28/2014

This is the second Mazda I have owned. I was car hunting and decided to take a look at Mazda after looking at the other brands. The first thing that got me was the redesigned look. The previous models look good (better than the protege i had) but this new design looks real good. I thought I end up with the 2.5L engine so I have that extra power to it, but after test driving the 2.0L model, I figure i didn't need it. This is the same engine that goes into their CX-5 CUV model. So with this engine in a much lighter frame, it has a lot of zip to it .

4,000 miles in a month!!

kfishy76, 03/16/2014

Yes this car is that fun to drive while also being frugal. I'm averaging 35mpg combined. The sport mode when left in drive shifts like a dual clutch (it keeps it's torque converter locked all the time) the interior could be at home in a German sedan. It gets looks everywhere. Basically a smaller Mazda 6. Only complaint is the almond leather which stains on the left thigh bolster from jeans. I clean it once a week. Side mirrors are noisy due to wind (they are big!) sometimes the voice recognition for nav doesn't understand a full address. Sunroof is noisy at freeway speeds when open. Can be pricy fully loaded like mine. Close to $30k. But it's a lot of car for $$ refined, sporty & FUN!!!

Awesome

jdgrn8, 01/17/2014

Excellent car. 2.0L 6M Touring w/o infotainment system. Handling is precise, enabled by a decent engine and slick manual tranny, Performed admirably in the great Buffalo blizzard of 2014. ESC was great. AVG 39MPG on the highway, and 34MPG in mixed driving. Noise is minimal for the class. Ride is superior for the class--feels like a luxury sedan. Standard radio/speaker is plenty for audio. I test drove the $1600 technology package and was not impressed. Most of that value can be covered by any decent smart phone. Overall an excellent, reliable vehicle, that excels as a true driver's car. If you want to love your commute and not break the bank, pick up a Mazda 3.

Best car in its class

sp00q, 12/27/2014

I got my 2014 Mazda 3 GS a couple of months ago, after extensive research of the compact car market. My conclusion was that Mazda 3 is simply the best non-luxury compact car money can buy in 2014. The car: excellent handling, exceptional fuel economy, lively engine that lets you have some fun, great chassis and body. The features: obviously, there are a lots of differences with all the trims and options, but my GS has everything I could ever possibly need; I especially appreciate the back-up camera, navigation system, heated seats and automatic headlights & wipers. The not so great: manual control of the A/C and road noise at highway speeds.

Fun but Issue Prone

johnathanr, 06/03/2015
i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the 2014 Mazda 3 iSV brand new. Either i have the jynxed version or this car isn't designed to survive Boston. My inner fenders and engine cover came undone even in nice weather. Both front brakes and rear breaks had to be changed within the first year of driving. Also randomly turned off on me once in the highway and lit up like a Christmas tree. This car does however handle well and is a fun car to drive. Great on gas. Car is great for a commuter.

Meant to Be

rdouble, 04/06/2014

I bought a 2014 Mazda 6 in Jan 2014. Unfortunately, I was hit by a van which slid and hit me on my door. Safe Car! but damaged beyond repair. I decided, in its replacement to get a 2014 Mazda 3 4 door sedan Touring; . I have to say it was meant to be. This car practically drives itself; I feel the road, I feel safe and I enjoy driving again!. Its beyond perfect for me and I am so thankful to Mazda for producing such a gem of a vehicle!

My 4th Mazda, and not my last

amandakl, 08/20/2014

I am in love with this car. I have owned a 2004 Mazda 3 sedan, a 2008 Mazda3 GT sport (hatch), and a 2013 Mazda cx-5. I traded my CX-5 in for the 2014 Mazda 3 and do not regret it at all. The car handles like a dream, hugs the road and corners perfectly. The interior is simple and modern, and the exterior is striking. I am getting 6.7L/100 (or 43 MPG) with combined city/highway, which is more than I expected to get. If you are looking for an affordable car that is fun to drive, gets great fuel mileage and is reliable, this is it. I have the GS (middle model) with sunroof package, and comfort package. I also had custom white leather interior installed.

Upbeat Mazda 3

vonpeter, 11/28/2014
i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Mazda has done something weird and wonderful with their Skyactiv technology. This car drives like a diesel: lots of torque, changes gears quickly, and sports spectacular fuel consumption. I get why it was nominated for car of the year. I felt the Corolla was like driving something front another era, another world compared to the Mazda-3.

Good but Flawed

Zoey Broussard, 02/07/2015
i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The M3 has nice, soft-touch interior materials and a sleek exterior design that helps it stand out from the crowd. MPG is good, but not quite as good as advertised; I usually average 32 while commuting with a roughly 60-40 split between city and highway driving. Roof/head space can be a bit tight if you sit close to the wheel like I do, but otherwise room and space in the M3 seem fine. Although I find it tolerable, many have said the radio is ugly. Headrests are uncomfortably angled. My biggest gripe though is that the A-frame pillars create blind spots towards the front of the car that I find very noticeable when turning/pulling out at intersections.

Exciting car to drive!

mars54, 01/15/2014

This is the first Mazda I have owned I decided to get one after my wife had bought a mazda cx 5 and I enjoyed the way it drove. I really love the way my Mazda 3s handles and how it seems to be a much more expensive car than it is.I love engaging the sport feature with the 2.5 engine the acceleration and handling are amazing!

Love This 3

fluffyan, 02/17/2014
i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

[Great car -- see updates below!] I have owned this 2014 Mazda 3 for two months, have a little over 1,000 miles on it. So far, I am very happy with it, although I wish it got closer to the 30 mpg rating. I looked at Toyotas, Scion FR-S, and checked online on Fords, Chevys, and Nissans. The Mazda 3 MANUAL is so much more fun to drive than anything else I drove, and it met most of my other criteria. I had driven a Camry stick for the last 12 years. The Mazda 3 is a little smaller, but also quicker and way, way more fun. It has a little more style than the same-old-same-old looks of most sedans. I am getting 26mpg, wanted more, but I recommend this car! UPDATE -- Two and a half years later, 8/16 -- MOST FUN CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED. Only wish I had a second one for whenever I wear this one out. MPG is now up to 30 overall. 8/17 updated update, nothing new, all comments still apply, excepting the desire for improved gas mileage -- it did improve. Terrific car. Still love it with over 30K miles and well into its 5th year, 9/18. A falling tree branch did dent the roof, which seems very soft metal. UPDATE 9/19 -- Still loving this 3. Trying to think objectively about its lesser features. Metal a little soft; backseat not world's most comfortable ride. Finally realized it looks so fast that other drivers resent it and react as though they imagine that I'm pressuring them. Not so, car just moves so well.

Finally Bought one. I shouldn't have waited.

Sandy B., 08/11/2015
s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

So I started reviewing the Mazda 3 2 years ago. I was fascinated with the way it looked, and the great reviews. But I never drove one, the nearest dealer is 100 miles away. Then I turned 60 and decided it was time to have so fun before I retired. I Was lucky enough to find a 2014 GT S sedan with a technology pkg for $23,400. Morries Mazda sold it to me as a certified used, but it only had 60 miles on it. Where to start. First of all, the ride is firm, yet refined. It is NOT harsh, even over uneven pavement. It is not cush, but I had more than enough of that in my Malibu. This thing sticks to the pavement like glue, even in tight corner, kind of fun to just put the pedal down and accelerate thru a turn. The steering is great, firm and quick. It accelerates nicely, enough to make you smile. Want more fun? Hit the sport switch, it really makes a difference on the responsiveness. The adaptive headlights are great, never seen them before, very refined. I like how the brights switch themselves on and off as needed, and it works really well. I bought the sedan because of the deal, and honestly, I'm glad I did. It is one beautiful car. A real attention getter. And the Silver mica paint is amazing in the sun with the 18" wheels. And the interior is understated but elegant. Lots of nice small touches.This car punches WAY outside it's class. I am getting 28 combined in 50-50 traffic, but I'm playing with it pretty hard with a heavy foot. I'm pretty happy with that, my 2013 Malibu was getting me under 20 combined. This is the car I always wanted. I just don't see a compromise in it. Fun, frugal and drop dead beautiful. If you think you want one, just drive it.

the good, the bad, and the ugly...

Disappointed, 02/20/2017
i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The good: Sharp looking car. Looks more expensive than it actually is. Seats are so comfortable I wish I could install them in my office. The (Potentially) Bad: 1) Car slides all over the place in the snow (my guess is because the back end is so light), so if you live in a place that gets winter weather, you should probably budget for a set of snow tires. (My prior 2005 Mazda3, did fine with all season tires in the same location. With snow tires, the 2014 handles fine.) 2) The navigation system looks like a cheap aftermarket add on; it is easy to see where it is located, but it doesn’t look integrated into the car. The Ugly: I’ve had repeated problems with my car. The infotainment system crashed multiple times, ultimately requiring a complete replacement. An ABS wiring module failed, and the car couldn’t be put into gear and had to be towed; it was out of service for over a week. Now my push button start has failed; the car can only be started using the emergency procedure and the doors won't lock. The key fobs are good; the problem is with the car. Overall, I'm disappointed with the number of electrical problems I've experienced with my car, particularly as two of them have resulted in major safety concerns. **Updating for February 2020** I've now had my Mazda3 for 5.5 years, and I have about 61K miles on it. After the initial problems, it has been a solid car, although I had to replace both front and rear brakes at 39K miles even though I drive 85-15 highway/city driving which seemed premature. It also seems to eat through keyfob batteries; I have to replace them every 9-12 months.

Big Step Up for Its Class: The Poor Man's Beemer

nfp, 01/06/2014

My brand new 2014 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring Sedan is my 5th Mazda, and by far the best of a good lot from the highly consumer- and critic-rated series released between 2006 and 2013. At this early juncture, so far this model -- entirely re-designed from front to back outside and inside – appears to be every bit as good as claimed by the automotive reviews that have lauded it as best in the compact class. I chose the classy, sporty-looking sedan over the odd-shaped hatchback that I don’t feel – and most critics agree – is anywhere near as nice-looking. I LOVE this baby to the point that even after my long daily commute to work from near Annapolis, MD to-and-from downtown Washington, DC, I don’t

Great car, great price point

zstardust, 10/03/2014

I've put 10,000 miles on my 2014 Mazda 3 since buying it in March. It's a comfortable ride (excluding some road noise), well styled, and turns heads. It has zip / zoom zoom. My car is mica black, with the basic sound system since I already had a high end GPS system and couldn't justify the additional cost of the XM / GPS feature. Even the basic sound system is more than acceptable, with my iPod docked to it. I'm getting 35 mpg consistently (mostly highway, some in-town mileage) without going hybrid. Moving from a Ford SUV to the Mazda 3 took some getting used to, but I've made the transition and I'm a convert. This car deserves all of the accolades it's receiving.

Definitely a great value.

Brad S, 10/19/2015
s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

With the highest package, it's an entry level luxury car. If you can handle not having a luxury badge, the finish, tech, and style are definitely nice. Compare maybe to an optioned out Honda Accord or a base Acura TSX. It's got options I've never seen in anything in the $20's. Rain sensing wipers? Wow. Most people probably won't use all the Tech package features though. The 2.5L is pretty average off the line - no drag races here - but the mid-range passing power you can notice. It gives power when you ask and you can up/downshift if needed. Sometimes the car stays in Automanual mode and you have to put it back in Drive to change gears. Upgraded wheels look really cool. Handles very well around corners. Weaves around traffic easily. There is definitely road noise and you do feel bumps but it's still a fairly smooth ride. Interior is upscale for a non-luxury car. Materials have a soft finish. The tablet-like screen is a little intrusive but works better than anything I've used. Does not allow you to operate via touch when moving. The knob works nicely though. Bose and HD radio sound great. Not amazing but still very good. Visibility can be limited by the frame at times. If you were looking at cheaper small cars and want to treat yourself, you will be impressed. It's not true luxury but it is upscale for sure.

2014 Mazda 3 Sedan iSV-M 6-speed

akdude, 02/01/2015
i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Bought this car in July 2014 after comparing it to the Honda Civic. I have owned 15 new Honda's since my first in 1983. Most were Accords but I had a 2010 Civic coupe. The reason I decided on the Mazda:1)Technology2)Mileage3)Fit and Finish4)Price. Always liked the fact that Honda doesn't have option "packages" but for under $18000 the Mazda is a no brainer, Civic is too far behind in power train technology. The base Civic still doesn't have direct injection, 6-speed manual or a new dash design. The Manual Civic LX can't touch the Mazda on mileage. My average(combined) mileage for the first 5000 miles is steady at 42.8mpg(50%city/50%hwy.Thats in Alaska.

A new kind of compact

accord7, 10/22/2013
i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Forget everything you know about compact cars. I traded in my 2013 Mazda 3 for the just released 2014, and it's a totally different kind of car. Interior is fitted with high-end materials for the dash and controls, and feels more like a luxury car. The handling and suspension are both top rate... you can be aggressive with your drive with good steering feel, and the harshness of the prior model has all been eliminated. The 2.0 engine is fine for day to day driving, but it lags a little when full power is required. UPDATE: Three years later now, and the car continues to be excellent. No regrets at all about buying this car and will keep it for years to come.

Great Car

mikejohn, 01/31/2014

Replaced my 2010!GTI and I love everything about this car especially Interior, Features, Performance. Awesome to have Sport Mode in this car as well as paddle shifters. Love the Almond Interior.

Disappointed now....

wesp1, 10/19/2014
i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I love this car until the transmission went out at 2800 miles. Now back in the shop for a seal leak at 8000 miles. Maybe I just got a bad one but I'm not happy with it so far. Never had a problem with my GMC Terrain or any of my 4 Honda Civics. I bought this Mazda because of the excellent reviews.

Zoom Zoom

zstardust, 03/03/2014

I'm enjoying driving my 2014 Mazda 3. It's taken awhile to adjust to the sight lines, which are not nearly as good (due to low ground clearance) as my prior SUV. The tradeoff is much better gas mileage, though as others have noted, I haven't achieved nearly the mileage I expected (roughly 30 mpg combined). Ride is much quieter and softer than I expected. Handles like a nimble sports car. Stick with the basics, and add on your own aftermarket bells and whistles for a great car under $20K.

Completely satisfied and utterly impressed

nld, 01/28/2014

Tough to review this car in 700 characters, but look at me go wasting them. This is a great car. It's faster than I thought it would be. The automatic gearbox is terrific. The sport mode and paddle shifters are awesome. I averaged 38.5 mpg on my drive from the Bay Area to San Diego (mostly on the highway) and I get probably 28 mpg around town, so it's definitely fuel efficient. The interior is great and so is the exterior. Feels very deluxe. Only put 1.5k on it thus far, so I can't speak for reliability or value, but from what I hear Mazda's do alright in those categories.

Loved this car until it hit 80K

S. Bradshaw, 10/19/2016
i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I am a commuter and I fell in love with this car at first sight. It had everything I wanted: great gas mileage, bluetooth, and even a great look. The first 80k miles were bliss. I recommended this car to everyone that asked. Then it all went downhill. Be prepared for sensor failures to leave you stranded. I am outside the warranty because of mileage (almost completely highway). The brakes feel shaky. This is NOT a car to buy used beware.

Great-looking, reliable car, horrible infotainment

CouldBbetter, 06/01/2019
i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Pros: Great-looking, reliable, fuel-efficient, with nice safety features. Cons: Bad infotainment system (touchscreen no longer works, the radio behaves like it’s possessed: changing stations, settings, etc., without me touching anything, and the screen delaminated in the upper and lower right corners so the clock is unreadable), headlight illumination seems to be positioned too low, and the ride is noisy. Update: Mazda recalled the malfunctioning infotainment screen and repaired it without charge. I had gotten so frustrated with it prior to the repair that I hit controls on the console and the controller fell down inside (it’s held by clips apparently, and when they break there’s no support). The dealership repaired that as well (epoxy I think, so far it’s holding). The infotainment system is now functioning as it did when I first bought the car six years ago.

Fun to drive, good on gas

sunnyvegas, 04/16/2014

Fun to drive. Good on gas mileage. Not quite what it says for combo driving. Get average 30 with mostly hwy. Took a long trip with no heat/little AC and got 40/41. (Using the heat/seat warmers will lower the MPG quite a bit if the "average this drive" mpg's is accurate) Paid quite a bit more for Navigation (which I didn't really want) and heated seats & they still can't fix the tech package even after update. Majority of time I can't use the touchscreen. And although seats still heat, they are not working like they were at first. I purchased it in Dec, and so far no problems engine wise. So if this car is reliable long-term, I will still be happy.

We love this car!

tomandtess, 12/06/2014
i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

We traded in our 2011 Ford Fiesta for this car. While the Fiesta was fun to drive on short trips, going any distance caused my husband to have to see his chiropractor! After trying out five different vehicles and doing tons of research, we knew this was the car for us! We have two crew cab 4WD trucks and a minivan. We just wanted another car for when he and I take long road trips, skiing, running errands, etc. and still get great gas mileage. We found it! Update...19 months later and we still are happy with this car. We have since sold our two pickups and minivan and bought a 2016 Ram pickup and 2014 Buick Enclave to haul the grandchildren. The gas mileage with the Mazda is amazing and it's just plain fun to drive. Update 6-6-18...still a great car!!! Review has wrong year and model though...it’s a 2015 Mazda 3 hatchback. Still gets the same great gas mileage and fun to drive!

2014 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring Sedan Makeover: The Poor Man’s Luxury Sport Car

nfp, 11/07/2013

This is my 5th Mazda and by far the best of a good lot. At this early juncture, so far this model, entirely re-designed from front to back outside and inside, appears to be every bit as good as claimed by the automotive reviews that have lauded it as best in the compact class. I chose the classy, sporty-looking sedan over the odd-shaped hatchback that I don’t feel is anywhere near as nice-looking. This car looks, feels and drives a class above others in the compact class, which is good because at the S Grand Touring trim level it's more expensive. It's also more comfortable to ride in than my two previous 3s (2008 and 2010). My buns thank Mazda because the ride is still firm.

This is the compact car you're looking for

eserna, 11/02/2013

The 2014 Mazda 3 is an eye-catching car. That's enough to get you in the door. Once you sit down and take it for a spin, you realize there's not much reason to look at the competition. It's fun to drive, loaded with tech at your discretion, good on gas, and, oh yeah, it's the best looking car in its class. I purchased the i-touring sedan in Soul Red with the technology package, and I couldn't be happier. With over a thousand miles on it already, I've been averaging a shade over 35mpg overall in mostly highway driving, with a couple more conscientious drives hitting the magic 40mpg mark. While the price may be a shade higher than others in its class, consider it enjoyment tax.

Great car

dtom1, 07/01/2014

I bought a 2014 Mazda 3 Touring in May 2014. So far I'm very satisfied with its performance, fuel economy, ride and handling. It's giving 32 mpg and I drive mostly within the city. On highways the car is extremely stable and predictable.

Reliable, Economical, and Fun to drive!

jb57, 10/28/2014

This is our 2nd Mazda (wife owns 2012 Mazda 5) and we've been very pleased with both vehicles. Mine is the 2014 Mazda 3 sedan sport edition w/ manual shift. Am averaging 36 mpg. Before buying, I test drove a Civic, Corolla, and Cruze. All seemed to be good vehicles but the Mazda stood out for its handling and appearance. Leg room and head room are just fine (I'm 6' 2"). Trunk space is larger than I expected. The engine is quiet as a kitten. My only knocks are the average looking cloth seats (I replaced w/ leather) and road noise on select highways. But, boy are these cars fun to drive!

Best Car l have ever owned

bmystro, 02/25/2015
i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The Mazda 3 I have is hands down the best car I have ever owned. The design is great and with the connect system it makes driving on road trips so much better not having to mess with wires. The price is great and when you look at comparable features in car's like Mercedes and Audi this is just a awesome value. Proud to drive such a nice car!

Infotainment problems

alanjd, 11/14/2013

One of the main reasons I choose the Mazda3 was to have email and text read out to me for safety reason. The feature doesn't work on Iphones and most other phones as promised by the dealer. I checked the site after buying and could not find a phone where email worked and only a couple where text worked Contact import is useless. It brings in the suggested names contacts from the phone. These do not have phone numbers or addresses so they are useless. It is limited to 1000 contacts so most real contacts do not get loaded. Can't get anyone in support to tell me if this will be fixed or if I am stuck using SIRI for calls and GPS addresses.

Dislikes

Richard A Sundt, 01/27/2016
i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Blind spot over passenger seat Climate control is very bad,controls hard to adjust while driving. Car is to small for separate zone controls. Tempetures don't not settle to set temps. Seems adjustments have to be all the way on high or low, no in between , that includes ac. Car takes forever to heat up when cold. Car causes static when using Bluetooth . Road noise but I knew that and does not bother me. Sound system is great when not using Bluetooth . Phone system is great. Traded for BMW. Disliked that also. Went to Mazda 6. Love it only dislike - door frame to far forward makes difficult entry if over 6' and should have gotten power seats.

great all around with odd omissions

brant82, 11/13/2014
i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

After getting a monthly lease down below $200CAD we could talk about the base model. I couldn't have been happier to find out that the base model does NOT have the horrible tablet slapped on the dash. My requirements were a 6spd manual, blue tooth and a trunk large enough to hold my golf clubs year round. The hatch did not have enough space for the golf clubs so it was out and for the price point no other auto maker had anything that could compare. UPDATE: After 3 years it is still a very fun car to drive, the steering, handling and braking are great. If you have the standard and drive it like you stole it then it is plenty quick enough. There have been zero problems, and repairs required other than one warranty issue with one of the rear seat belts. I thought i would be fine with the base version but the complete lack of options is crazy, there is no tach. and this is insane for the 21st century. To move up a version of the car puts it into a different comparison bracket and to go to the bigger engine puts it in direct competition with a base WRX so that is no contest to me. The seats are comfortable enough but it is not a relaxing car for a rush hour commute that takes me 40min to go 12 km. There is no were to rest your arms easily, there are zero comfort features. The lack of heated mirror all winter drive me nuts as my 93' acura had all of these features. Yes i know that lack of modern convenience was my choice but in the same price bracket i will be looking at a Hyundai with all these features for a few thousand less next year. I drive the car hard and the mileage is still fantastic, i don't speak retard so i get around 7.5L/100km. The maintenance of an oil change required every 4 months was a surprise as well as the cost of their yearly services were a heck of shock! The trunk has a very small opening and even with seats down it's hard to get anything in. The trunk is not all usable space as the two arms on the trunk lid swing way down into the space and it's about 100% of the time i have stuff in the trunk that these arms hit and i have to rearrange/ smash it all to shut it. The car handled OK in rain and appalling in snow, just a total lack of feedback. I had lived for 15 years in Calgary and only had small cars with all seasons and never had a problem, always with a manual. The car is loud, like going slow sitting in traffic and things are loud, i have the stereo cranked up to 40 to hear podcasts. This car is a mazda, it will run forever with very little hassle and fun to drive when you are moving fast enough to call it driving. The mechanics can not be faulted and their pricing to add options is silly to me. If your looking for a simple car that drives well above it's class this is the car for you. If you are looking for comfort the Koreans are the way to go. Don't be fooled by their hatch back as "bigger" the car is actually smaller and using that space is next to impossible without the seats down. I have now given the car back at the end of the lease. It was a great little car to boot around if I didn't have to drive from red light to red light. I drove the devil out of it and i pity the fool who picks it up off the dealer lot as it's gonna look like a perfect deal.

Just totalled it and I'm sad it's gone

Sarah H., 03/03/2016
s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

First things first, it was a lease. I mention that because I have no idea what we ended up paying for it. I enjoyed this car. Driving 33 miles one way to work every day and sitting at red lights for most of it, was where the vehicle excelled. I'm relatively small, so the seats were very comfortable to me. My fiance is only 5'11" and said he felt too big for it. The rear seats are a joke. Unless you are a toddler or just toting around less than 100 pound dogs, it probably won't be big enough. The few times an adult was in the backseat, it seemed very cramped. It's a four cylinder, though a zippy one, it's not a rocket-ship. I moved while owning this vehicle and the fold down back seats were awesome! Lots of room for a tiny car. Mine routinely ended up at the dealer for little things. First my radio stopped working within about 8 days of ownership. According to them, it just needed an update which I really blame the dealer for more. Why that wasn't done before I left with the car the first time, I'll never know. The heads up display broke twice for no apparent reason. One of the speakers blew out. The navigation system was horribly out of date. My fiance's 07' truck was more aware of the roads near me than my 2014 car. I was never able to get the USB port to do anything other than very slowly charge my phone. The back up camera worked flawlessly as did the blind spot monitoring. It was noisy, though it didn't really bother me at the time but in hindsight, there was a ton of road noise. That being said, it handled getting in a car accident wonderfully and I walked away with just a bruise. All and all, not a bad car and I miss many of it's little features.

too many things wrong

bill parker, 06/06/2016
i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This was the highest rated of the small cars I evaluated for purchase, trading in a 2005 Acura TL. Most everything has been fine in the 21 months I've had the care EXCEPT mainly the audio system. I tried three different MP3's, none of which worked in the car. I finally got an iPod to work except that it often stops working unexpectedly. The radio presets do not last more than a day or two, then disappear. The flip up speedometer indicator soon stopped flipping up high enough to see it and sometimes doesn't come up at all. I usually have to flick it up. Resetting the odometer is a struggle and I sometimes cannot get it to work at all. The navigation system has some nice features but I have sometimes had to drive off the road and turn off the engine to get it working correctly. The voice direction on the navigation system is nearly inaudible at highway speeds. Although I like the mileage and the car is easy to drive, I would not buy it again and am considering trading in earlier than usual on Ford Fusion hybrid or Camry hybrid. This is about the 10th new car of my life and the only one with this many problems from the start.

Elderly Folks & Big Dogs: Find a Different Car!

Toni Wolf, 02/15/2016
i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

If you either are older or carry older people around, this is NOT the car for you because it is too difficult to get in and out of. For another thing the rear doors do not open wide enough for a large dog to get in and onto the back seat.

Lots of little things are going wrong

Beverlykid2000, 03/22/2016
i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I traded up to a 2016 Toyota Camry SE! No problems so far. After owning the Mazda 3 for about 18 months, I am flabbergasted that the light in the glove box went out almost a year ago. The remote only works 75% of the time and the suspension seems to be shot. The blue tooth will go offline and take forever to get back on line. The GPS is totally unreliable. It will actually have you leave the expressway and get right back on for no apparent reason. Once I was trying to go home and it kept telling me to turn around and go back to where I came from. It took an hour longer to get home then it did to arrive at my destination. I would not buy this car again and am thinking of dumping it ASAP.

Finally have a reliable car!!!

Sam, 04/12/2016
i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have always had used cars until my last one left me on the side of the road with my 2 y/o on a summer day. I test drove almost every car under $25,000 and I don't regret my decision at all after 2 years. Not 1 thing has broken, failed or wore out! I love the 6 speed manual. Fun car to drive, is comfortable, cheap to own and is reliable! Would highly recommend buying!

The emotion of motion

Jmc, 11/16/2016
s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

If you want a reliable vehicle, a car that has the power and economy to go with it, can handle like a BMW with out the expensive price tag, you will not get to know all the mechanics by name, very safe, has the aggressive look and great gas mileage, superb technology,this the car for you. Enjoy the exhileration of exceleration.

Mazda came through.

Taylor McBryan, 10/05/2018
i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I loved this car at first. It is a zippy fun ride. I paid for all the bells and whistles and after two years they bells are falling apart. The entire navigation/command screen does not work. Every time I come to a stop it jumps around, calls people, changes my music or volume, changes my navigation destination! I was told the only way to fix it is to buy a new screen! Two years and they want me to pay $800 for a new system. Update**** After talking to Mazda directly they paid for more than half to fix my screen. Happy with my car again.

was sadly disappointed

mark394, 08/14/2014

We've always liked Mazda's, this was our fourth, a 2014 mazda 3 Touring sedan, it could have been so good, but the front interior space felt cramped and a bit difficult to see out of, the rear seats were very difficult to see out of. The really ugly looking radio looked velcroed to the dash was a constant eye sore. Not sure if anyone else has been bothered by this but there was always an very annoying clunk sound coming from the suspension going over bumps. We traded it after four months for another new make :(.

Nice enough but it would be so easy to be better!

23j96, 06/16/2014
i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Fun to drive? Hell yeah! I love this car. Mostly! After 2 years with an automatic (my first) I ditched it and went back to manual shift - with this Mazda3. Oof! And it was a good change. This is way more fun to drive than, say, my MINI (also manual). It's got a great feel, good power, lots of fun. But there are a lot of details that are so close but not there! So, this is more fun to drive than the MINI, right? But MINI gets all of the details right on. Now, why did I rate it the way I did? Because! The "upgraded" sound system is the worst upgraded sound system I've ever experienced. There's a great big speaker in the center of the dash and subwoofers in the doors. So it bumps and rattles when the volume isn't that loud and all of the sound is coming from this center sound stage. Who wants to listen to music like that? This isn't a home theater system. I want the sound coming from everywhere. It's a really loud car for passengers. Excruciating loud. It's kind of neat that it's not as loud for the driver ;) For a car with such poor gas mileage (I get 30) it's sure gutless. Ah well! Traction and driving is snow is really good - as long as you turn off the moronic automatic traction control stuff. I have no idea when that stuff would be helpful, but it makes driving in difficult situations impossible. The information system is really annoying in that you get locked out of a lot of the important functions when you're moving. So I can have it read my texts to me but I can't see them or reply. I can't enter a destination in the GPS if the car is moving. Oh, I hear you. "Safety." Bla bla bla. I drive cars from other manufacturers. You can interact with a lot more than you can in this one. It's sucky that way. The entertainment system is full of crappy adware. I want to be able to reorder the services so I don't have to see Spotify at the top of the list every time I want to go in. The entertainment system must be updating itself fairly often. I wonder where it's getting the bandwidth to do that. It scares me. I don't want it automatically connecting to anyone or anything other than to my phone in the sense I want it to start playing music right when I get it (it's pretty close, there). Anyway, it loses my preferences and favorites all of the time. Why? How? It's dumb and annoying. So... It's fun to drive but doesn't really have the acceleration. Some parts of the entertainment system are good (automatic connection to the phone) and others suck completely (sound stage, losing preferences, limited interaction while driving). The driving experience is good for the driver if a little noisy but is awful for passengers as it is unbearably loud. And the wife hates how stupid the entertainment system looks sticking up out of the dash.

Disappointed

Becky Garcia, 11/14/2015
i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my Mazda 3 with gas mileage in mind. It does not give you anywhere near the 30 city 40 highway. The best I have ever got was 24 city and 25 highway. I tried all different speeds thinking that would make a difference and it doesn't. Also it's very hard to see behind me the little buzzer that tells you something is behind me works only on vehicles that are moving. Wish I hadn't bought it

BEST car for it's price range!!

Ari Y, 06/15/2016
i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

You can get a Honda Civic, a Toyota Corolla, a Nissan Sentra, or a Hyundai Accent for this price and honestly the design of the Mazda 3 is the best looking and the interior is sleek and great. It is the best bank for your buck and it honestly is a great car.

Not my type of Car

pj_flygare, 12/29/2014

Bought a brand new 2014 Sport3I with 35 demo miles ODO Dec 19 2014. After some 100+ miles testing in various environment I found the seats uncomfortable, long miles is not for this car, even after the few miles I driven. Mpg's not to what estamimatied, but lower. It is very underpowered, overtaking another car in left lane demands a lot of considerations. Interior noise very loud. My wife Rav4 (2005) is quieter (more responsive). The Cx5 was quieter at test drive, the streets are very raw. Missing back up camera, (not required by law, but will be) from my 2006 Lexus. Stereo system not upgradable except in-mount speakers. Rattling noise around windows at idle. ??

Great Kids first car

joe mayor, 05/24/2017

Great car for the money

Loved it at first.

Brittany J, 12/28/2016
s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I really loved my Mazda3 at first. After 20,000 miles, however, I started having problems with it. This car is super comfortable and gets great gas mileage. That's about it. Almost every warning light is on in my dashboard, although nothing is actually wrong with the car. The power seats stopped working randomly. The entertainment navigation (round dial) FELL THROUGH the interior of the car. I hardly even use it, I don't know how this is even possible. Luckily, my hand is small enough to fit through the hole that it fell through. This just shows that the car was very cheaply made. The car is very, very slow when accelerating as well. I'm having all sorts of technical problems with it, and I just don't like this sedan as much as I thought I would.

51050