Used 2005 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used 3 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Over 320,000 miles still going

Lori, 10/21/2015
s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Mazda 3, I have over 320,000 miles on the engine still going strong. I wouldn't own another car! 2005 model 2.3

Not Bad!

flow_motion, 01/17/2011

I bought a used automatic Mazda 3 Sedan January of last year. It had about 103,000 KM. One year later, it's now at 123,000 KMS +... This car rocks! It's been very reliable, has caused me no trouble. The dealership have been extremely curtious, and polite. I'll definitely buy another Mazda! I agree with one person though, the accessories at the dealership are way over priced. Nonetheless, this car definitely packs in the "zoom zoom". The auto transmission should've been 5 speed rather then 4. Gas mileage in the city isn't good for a 4 cyl engine. Those are the negs... The pos outweigh the negs 10 fold! Love the red interior lights!

A Sad Day

Mike C, 11/28/2009

This is my 3rd review here for this car and my last. I just traded it in last week with 184,000 miles. I couldn't have asked any more of this gem. Here is my list of maintenance and repairs over the last 4 years: 47 oil changes, 2 sets of spark plugs, 4 air filters, 2 sets of rubber, 1 radiator flush, 1 transmission flush, 1 set of brake pads, 2 head lights bulbs and 1 battery. All but the transmission flush was done myself. Unexpected repairs: Zero

Super fun little car!

Sam, 02/12/2018
SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car is super cute and so fun to drive. It has no problem getting up to speed, and at 201,000 miles it still has no issue. It gets a little louder at 90mph. I love going fast in it which may or may not be a good thing haha. It takes corners so well, and shifts super smoothly with the manual 5 speed. I bought it with 160,000 miles on it, and it was in nearly perfect condition then. I've repaired the normal parts like brakes, water pump, serpentine belt, and some front end stuff. The only bad thing I can say about it is I have almost put as much into it in repairs as I bought it for. Granted it is over 200,000 miles now, but none of the repairs have been major. I also have had an issue with headlights going out constantly. The plastic covers are very foggy too, so it is difficult to see at night. Besides those two things, I would drive my Mazda forever if I could! It gets decent gas mileage at 26 mpg, which I love! The seat warmers are amazing, bose speakers never let me down, and the 6 CD player is great. At this point, I just want to see how many miles it can go! I commute about an hour round trip per day, so the miles are accumulating quickly. I have faith in it :)

All in the details

Ben MazdaSP, 11/18/2009

I got my Mazda SP after spending months researching and test driving sport sedans from EVERY other manufacturer. I was very meticulous and demanding. I then knew exactly what I wanted: a charcoal Mazda3 S manual. It took me weeks to find and was floored when I did. Great car! Transmission is superior to all others that I drove. The interior is designed very well; you can tell a great deal of thought went into every detail on this car. This car feels as though it should be 2-3 times more expensive than it is. I don't ever feel that I have to drive somewhere, I GET to drive somewhere! I've had it for awhile and still love it.It's done great both in the hot summer and on snowy mountain passes.

Work of Beauty!

Victor, 03/19/2010

The Mazda3 is just a fun drive. It doesn't just get you from point A to point B, it makes you want to go to point B. while some might see that as a problem, i think the worst part about this car is that you just want to keep driving. A lot of the reviews you read online say that they don't like the engine noise when your accelerating. But i see this as a plus, since it only gets loud when your trying to go fast. The Mazda3 makes 120mph feel like 40 and handles like it to. Great car great buy, I'd recommend it to anyone.

You'll never want to buy another car!

hmarie23, 11/10/2012

I owned my 2005 Mazda3i for just over a year before it was totaled. I'm still mourning the loss of this car & with any luck will purchase another soon. I bought my mazdda3 used with 100,000 miles and drove it for 22,000 more. This car is extremely reliable, never had any problems with it (which is great since it had been in 2 minor accidents before I got it). Gas mileage was excellent -mostly highway driving usually got around 30 mpg which is great for a college student's budget! My only complaint (aside from the lack of any real space needed when I was moving) was that around 110,000 miles it began to shake when it idled, before that it was smooth sailing. You can't go wrong buying this car

I Love This 3

LA DRIVER, 06/12/2008

My wife and I bought this car back in 2005 when her Honda went out. Almost 3 years later I still love it. At about 300 miles per tank city/hwy driving can't complain. I just love the performance for such a compact car, leather seats, GPS, 6 disc CD, 5 speed man., when sitting inside it reminds me of my BMW at half the cost. Great power and lots of trunk space esp when rear seats are folded down. The 3 is truly a car in it's own, with aftermarket performance tires it handles as well as my BMW and is great to drive through corners and the straights. Over all this is a great car to drive in the city as well as the hwy. avg. of about 32 mpg hwy we make it from LA to San Jose in 1 tank. LOVE my 3.

my wifes other man

KING OF NY IN VEGAS, 02/11/2009

My wife and I purchased our metalic red 3 new .Granted her commute to work is 7 miles round trip , this car has performed flawlessly.no squeaks or weird noises at all.All I've ever done to it was change the oil and rotate the tires .Thats's all it ever needed. Maintenance is very inexpensive. It's a little cramped for me at 6'4 305 lbs butit drives very well . It's quiet but very sporty. The handling in off the chain!The tranny has been reliable but needs another gear,the engine needs another 20-30 hp. MY wife picked it over the coblt because of it's cheezy interior,it has better styling cues than the civic which to her is a me too car.I highly recommend this car to anyone, its that good.

VERY FUN CAR

Christopher Hester, 10/03/2017
i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i bought this car from a buy here pay here lot not expecting much. during the test drive i noticed it likes to move! i drive this car daily and not a day goes by that im just not thrilled to jump in it and drive it to work! i took it on a road trip to see my mom about 500 miles away non stop driving and i couldn't have been happier with a car that has 180k miles on the clock. i took it to the race track by the house and for a cheap daily...it grips! i call it my green rocket. by far the best car ive ever owned! i will drive this car until the wheels fall off and then glue them back on and drive it some more =) wow! such a thrill to drive! p.s. i only paid $1900 usd for this car ;)

Tough Car to Like

John Taylor, 07/17/2015
i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a commuter but also a father with 2 smaller children and a wife. Therefore, I needed something reliable that would handle the challenges of our lives. With all the hoopla about this car, I expected to get almost 200,000 miles or 12 years of this vehicle, which I had purchased used at 30,000 miles for $12,000 almost 7 years ago (2008). While the first four years were non eventful, the following three were very painful. Specifically, the car would unexplainably turn off or, more commonly, just not start. I changed the battery, everything. I brought it to my mechanic; nothing. I needed reliability and this car was unreliable. I thought for a while that maybe this was a one shot experience. Perhaps. However, I found on the web similar stories of Mazda 3s from 2005 which suddenly don't start. This makes me wonder. At 143,000, I chose to give up. I am selling the car via a trade in to a dealer and getting a 2005 Prius with 112K miles.

Great car

Lee, 02/09/2016
i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a pleasure owning this car, just wish it held its value better for trade in/ resale. Have moved on, now into a 2016 VW Passat. It was time.

Awesome!

Kristina, 06/10/2008

I have absolutely loved this car! It is fun to drive, pulls uturns on a dime and is so comfortable that 3 people for 15 hours in the car was no problem. I am so happy with this purchase!

Fun, Hot, Reliable, Good buy!

mazdaisgreat, 07/15/2008

I love this car to death. It's such a great buy for what what you get. It's stylish and fun to drive. I've never had one problem with it. The only complaints are that the trunk doesn't open with the remote. The AC/heater is a little weak too. But I live in San Diego so this is not really a big problem for me.

3 year 60000 mile test drive

mzdvr, 08/22/2008

Been driving this car for 3 yrs now and still think it's the best car under $25,000. I haven't had any mechanical problems. Had a brake job at 50,000 and new tires. I live in the city and get a combined 27 mpg. I have a gas gauge which commonly reports mpg in the middle to upper 30s on the highway. There is minimal wear on the car after 60k such as a small area of the stitching on the leather seat has come out, a few exterior issues due to things happening to it.

Zoom Zoom, indeed!

Michigan_guy, 12/11/2008

I've owned an '89 Toyota Tercel, an '02 Chevy Prism and now the Mazda. Love. It. It's got a lot longer gear ratio than most 4-cylinder cars and at highway speeds can very capably accelerate past everyone else who's not having as much fun in their car. The interior has an excellent design, the exterior looks fluid and lean and all of the mechanics seem above average on dependability and ergonomics. I might never buy a different car.

Already Rusting???

Nae, 10/07/2009

I purchased my 2005 Mazda the winter of 2004 love everything about the car, the feel of the car on the road, the suspension is tight, it has great get up and go for 2.0 and great gas mileage. It could use better interior lighting i.e. the window controls need more lighting and the my cigarette lighter light went out already? In 2007 I noticed my 2005 mazda 3i was beginning to rust around rear wheel wells and the undercarriage. I have taken my car into numerous Mazda dealerships for rust problem and have been told due to environmental factors they will not fix the corrosion? I highly doubt I will purchase another due to exterior quality it sad everything else is great about this little car.

Well Done!

J Delo, 07/27/2010

I have an 05 Mazda 3 S and I just hit 170,000 miles. I purchased my Mazda new in Nov of 04. I am a rough on the vehicles I use and I needed something that could handle my "abuse". The Mazda 3 stood up to the test. I have literally run the engine to its limits. Note that even though I am bad about performing regular maintenance, the Mazda still survived and continued to run well. I thought in the beginning that this vehicle may not handle me as an owner. I am proud to say Bravo Mazda 3! Well done!

Been great so far!

nathanh2, 01/22/2011

I bought it used with 46,000. It now has 58,000 and I have had no problems with it what so ever. Gas mileage has been pretty good although the car is small and I would expect it to get better. But other than that it has been golden. No mechanical problems. Turns on a dime. Rides beautifully on the highway. Put good tires on it if you haven't already. I had the Eagle RS-A and as soon as I switched them out the car was much quieter and rode a lot smoother. A/C can be a little weak. But it seems to do fine if you turn it up another notch. All around a very good car. I am very happy with it and I don't expect that to change

Mazda3 fun

doc, 04/18/2005

This is a well designed car which strikes a fine balance betwen the competing demands of an economy car. The performance is well above that expected and is equivalent to a 2 litre Alfa Romeo with better economy and reliablity. It looks like a little BMW at a fraction of the price and runing cost. Economy is excellent 45mpg on highway at 60 - 75 mph. Only the sound proofing could be better. Handling, brakes and active safety are excellent. I would however like a six-speed to lower the revs at cruising speeds.

mazda3 by Katie

jeromy, 05/30/2005

A totally great little car. Mine is a stick shift and it's my first car. Easy and fun to drive. The only thing that was a little weak was the horn. It was like a circus clowns car. My Dad changed it for an Air Horn like a Ferrari.

How fast am I driving?

Waldemar, 06/29/2005

The Mazda3 is fun to drive and gets good mileage. I bought it fully loaded with automatic, ABS, and side air bags. I like the car's handling, feel for the road, and the manual mode on the automatic transmission. On the other hand, a nearly fatal flaw is that the speedometer and other gauges are so far recessed into the instrument panel and unlit that they're extremely difficult and tiresome to read on sunny days within 3 hours of sunrise/set or driving in and out of shade. I have to stare at the instrument panel for a second or two to let my eyes adjust to the darkness before I know how fast I'm going. The gauges are fine on cloudy days and fantastic at night.

2005 3 S With Automatic Tranny

Sandy, 07/07/2005

Just got this car last Saturday, and it's pretty awesome. Took about 4 days to get the car in the color we wanted...Sunlight Silver. The 3 with the 2.3 L engine has plenty of power and it shifts so smoothly. The interior looks like it came from a more upscale car. The two tone seating fabric is pretty grippy and the leather steering wheel and shifter just add to the upscale feeling. This is our 1st Mazda and we are thrilled with the car since we've had it. Zoom Zoom!

Love our SP 2.3 Sedan

pats1, 08/17/2005

Bought this car 5 weeks ago and have 2500+ miles on it already - lots of highway driving. What a great car!! Love the carbon gray mica with the black leather (don't see any like it) and this one is loaded with most everything except NAV. Last tank was 29.2 MPG. Very fun to drive - handles like a dream. Acceleration was a pleasant surprise. Added another SP 2.3 badge to the trunk lid - makes it look that much better. Bose is awesome. The rain-sensing wipers work great. The car rides and handles much better than the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic (yuk) we test drove.

BEST car in class

Sergio, 09/29/2005

Easily best car for the money (reliability to be seen). The car is very quick with excellent handling with 205/55R16 tires. I opted for the 2.0 for the mileage (28 MPG city driving on 1700 miles). Very nice and roomy interior. I will echo the complaints about the weak A/C, and the remote trunk opening, but they are not show stoppers. Seats are a little hard and the doors do not auto-lock when the car is started.

ZOOM-ZOOM

JUICE88, 06/07/2006

I've owned the car for ten months, so far a pleasant experience. Great value for the money. Definitely a set of snow tires in the winter solves any traction problems.This car is fun to drive.

Miata-class fun, Audi A4 practicality

Bryan in Central VA, 06/16/2005

Plenty of creature comforts (heated leather, Bose, Xenons, ABS, steering wheel controls)...looks like a little BMW 325. I wanted something japanses to replace my service issues on my last three Audis and two Passats. This car is smaller and less expensive but even more fun to drive. Strong engine (w/5- spd) loses steam at 65 mph+ 9great around town baut looses punch on highway. SP23 was ltd edition and I have not seen another in 3 months of ownership. I would not have considered its "peer economy" competitors. Buy it for style & handling - not price. SP23 thinks its all grown up. A relative bargain for a "euro" sedan. Combination of Jetta/A4 and Miata. Practical fun with reliability.

Mazda Sp 2.3

culinarykid, 09/21/2005

I love my Mazda3 SP 2.3. I have the navigation, Bose system, 18 inch rims and brown leather. I am telling you for the price of the car and the things you get, it's a awesome car. I can not tell you how many people roll the windows down on their car to tell me how sharp my car is. The color is great too. The color on the SP you can not get on any other Mazda car. That's what also makes it special. If I had to tell anyone who was looking into a new car I would totally tell them to look at the 3.

Has everything for little money

zoomer, 08/02/2008

This car had everything I was looking for: wonderful manual transmission that is extremely fun to drive, enough oomph, horsepower, great gas mileage, cool looks, plenty of space for the family of four, great value for the dollar. I still love it.

Great Outside, Cheap Inside

Good but Cheap, 07/28/2009

I have owned this Mazda for 3 years. Its a good car. Engine is quite and peppy. Very reliable. Just add gas, change to oil regulary and go. The thing that gets me about it the cheap and tough to clean interrior. In typical Japanese automotive fashion, its cheap and plastic. The cloth on the sests attract any dirt and I always have to use a sweater shaver on them to get rid of the fuzzballs the fabric makes. The fabric trim on the door came loose. (Repaired under warranty) The carpet is difficult to vacuum, hold objects like velcro. The air conditioning could use more power. The horn needs a boost too. The windshield wipers need a intermittent adj. The tires wore out at 30,000 miles.

Zoom Zoom

M DAlessandro, 10/12/2004

Great Car!!!!

Has everything

dodo, 12/05/2010

Purchased this car new. Has everything one could want: -Great gas mileage avg 32mpg -Room for the family -Slick -and I mean slick!- manual shifter -Fun to drive -Reliable (have not had a single problem)

GREAT car

Jason, 03/02/2005

My partner and I bougt a new Mazda 3s (FULLY LOADED) and it's been just the best car I've ever owned. Love the styling inside & out.

Faster than you'd think

JT, 03/29/2005

I have had this car for about 2 months now. The first month spent breaking it in, while the second was more agressive driving. If you want a comfortable, fuel efficient, family sedan, buy this car. You can't beat it for the price. If you want an import racer... BUY THIS CAR. So far my brothers EX Civic with mods can't keep up. My brother-in-law's Integra GS-R modded out doesn't pull away like you'd think. Oh yeah, a 98 Mustang V-6 doesn't even compare. And OH YEAH... I have the 2.0 that doesn't have any mods other than I took the air silencer off. I plan on getting a cat- back and CAI VERY soon.

No Brainer

cal, 06/12/2005

Hands down the best value on the market. Fun to drive, turns heads, and provides plenty of bang for the buck. One test drive and you won't leave the lot without it. Looks and feels great. Low points; loud turn signal. That's it.

FUN CAR!!

Mike C., 10/30/2005

I bought an "i" model for an outside sales job 3 months ago and have over 10k on it already. This car has had no problems at all. Interior, stereo, handling and exterior are all better than I had in my '01 Civic. It really carves up the road if you push it. At many speeds it will not downshift without use of the manumatic and that gets a little frustrating, it has very little torque. Produces a lot of brake dust but only on the rear wheels. I am very disappointed in the gas mileage. 90% of my driving is highway and I get between 28-29 miles per gallon. My Civic alway got over 36. If you want the feel of a Bimmer on the cheap, this is the car for you!

What a LEMON!

Ihatethiscar, 01/23/2005

My engine light keeps going on.The dealer fixed it three times and the engine light went off again. I think the car can't handle the cold. With 10 months & 4,000 miles, I should be ok. Car slides all over the road and won't stop on snow covered surface; mechanic blames 17 inch tires. Don't buy this lemon!

i love my car!

amanda, 06/07/2005

I purchased my Mazda 3 about 6 months ago and have had no problems with it to date. I have found the manual trasmission to be extremelly fun to drive. I think that the ride is much smoother than a civic or corrolla... and I love the unique exterior design!

Car lighter fuse blow out

Sara, 08/22/2005

I bought my new Mazda 3s on Friday and by Sunday I had no turn lights, power locks, stereo console lights, tachometer lights, working keyless entry, rear defrost or A/C, and it said my parking brakes were on even though it was disengaged. The service man said "Don't go blaming the car now, this is a common problem if you plug in an ac adapter into a Pontiac, Subaru, GMC car...." All this because I used a car charger to charge my phone?!

After 4 SUVs I fell in love

Kristen, 06/05/2008

I have previously owned 4 SUVs (2 Fords and 2 Jeeps), so I was more than a little hesitant to exchange my 4x4s for a compact sedan. That is until I drove the Mazda3. I drive 50+ miles to school and back 5 days a week, and this car makes the commute fun. I love on-ramps and passing. The car has so much zip. I love, love, love the fuel economy! I record my average for every tank, and it's always been around 35mpg (33-36). The driver's seat offers great visability-something that I was afraid of missing after driving SUVs. Regular oil changes, and you are good to go! I get complements on my car all of the time. I couldn't be happier with my Mazda! Civic beware!

I love my Mazda!

Kec5142, 06/21/2008

I haven't had a single problem with this car. It runs like a champ and looks great. I have kept my car in excellent condition and I keep up with routine maintenece so it runs like it does. I love this car.

Friday afternoon car

Allen G, 07/15/2008

Purchased brand new. Looked great, sporty, fun to drive, typical great Mazda clutch. However, I feel my car was built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon, I had nothing but problems with it in the year & a half I owned it. Pieces of trim falling off, just about every sensor/idiot light would come, check engine, air bag, etc. needing a trip to the dealership. One time it would not start and had to be towed to the dealership, luckily it was in my driveway at the time. I was very fortunate that the dealership/Mazda had a loaner car program, which I needed on several occasions, otherwise those expenses would have added up, but I still had to take time off for drop off/pickup.

Awesome Ride!!

Myran22, 05/13/2009

I LOVE this car!! I have not had any problems with it! I bought it used in 2008 I own the 2005 Mazda3 S. I have had it for a little over a year its almost at 49,000 miles. I have a friend who owns an older Mazda626 which has been an awesome car for them which was one of the reasons I actually considered buying it. I had originally wanted to buy a honda accord but I have actually been happier with my Mazda than I think I would have been with the Honda. It was cheaper but I definitely don't believe its cheap quality. Ford makes Mazda and Ford's are usually pretty dependable however this car is like no Ford that I've ever driven.

Great Car

Tbizz H, 06/14/2009

I've had this car for almost 5 years. During that time I've taken it to the dealers to get fixed twice. One time was so they would tighten the wiper blades and the other was a sensor that was throwing faults. They were both before warranty expired and I haven't had a problem since. I drive 40 miles to work everyday and it does it very well. I've used synthetic fuel since 20K every 7 thousand miles. That may have contributed to the reliability but I doubt it. Mine's a manual transmission too.

Best Bang for the buck

mikeabbott, 06/23/2009

After doing a lot of research I bought mine brand new and after 4 years it still puts a smile on my face. I have no plans to sell this car anytime soon. Mechanically the car has been sound. A couple of sensors had to be replaced under warranty, no big deal. Performs well for 4 door sedan and is a blast to drive on the twisties. Interior is fine for a under 20k car and more than one passenger has commented on the lighting and sleek interior design.

No Go in the Snow

RN17, 09/15/2009

I had this car for three years before trading it in for a WRX. There were a couple of reasons for this. First, the WRX is much faster. Now the speed 3 is probably just as fast, but it's only offered in a hatchback, which I just don't like. Second, driving in the snow just plain stinks! From a dead stop I could barely get half way through the intersection before the light would turn red again! Tires make a little bit of difference, but not enough to install confidence while driving in the snow.

Great little car

skyrkt, 10/15/2009

I have the very stripped down and base 3 sedan, that means I don't have A/C or any options. Even without A/C and things like that this car is still amazing. No problems with the car since I bought it new. I love the manual transmission, and the build quality of this car. I love my 3 and my next car will be another Mazda.

I LOVE this car

cyn, 08/23/2010

I bought this car in college over 5 years ago and put 85,000 miles on it - no mechanical problems whatsoever. It's extremely reliable, inexpensive to maintain, handles well, plenty of storage area, and has good gas mileage.

Great Car/Great Value

Tom, 02/03/2008

Bought the SP23 model with manual 5sp. Great fun to drive and has been 100% reliable. 31 MPG on the highway, going 80 MPH (yes, we can do that in Montana). Excellent room, particulary for tall drivers. Rear seat not bad. Seats provide good back and leg support. Relatively quiet until you hit around 70MPH and then you hear more road noise.

I love my Mazda3!

Carrie, 01/11/2005

This is my first car ever, my grandparents bought it for me for my 16th birthday, and I absolutely love it! I have the i 4dr Sedan in silver with a manual transmission. I have had so much fun in this car that I never want to drive an automatic or anything other than a Mazda ever again! My brother, who is 6'1, has more legroom in my Mazda3 than he does in his Honda Civic, and the trunk is as big as my dad's Toyota Camry. All of my friends are jealous of the interior that lights up in red, and the chic design of it. I haven't had a single problem with my Mazda3 (other than stalling out when I was learning how to drive the stick). I named my car Dolce, and it really is very sweet!

51050