Used 2004 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 652 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

14 years and counting
By Satisfied

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my car with 4 miles on it and now am nearing 210,000. Maintenance has been next to nothing. With regular oil changes, check-ups and tires, I would say that I've averaged $300/year maintenance. And, since I paid the car off 10 years ago, this Mazda has been one of the best investments that I have ever made. The last 2 years have brought wear and tear issues on appearance items such as the paint beginning to fail and the seams of the seats coming apart. It is about time to invest in a new car and with no car payment for the last 10 years I have plenty of money saved to pay cash for the next one!

200,000 miles of absolute hate
By Aw

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 100,000 miles on it. It was decent at the time. I hate it. It makes weird noises, the a/c is terrible even with all new equipment. The design of the front bumper is [non-permissible content removed] with the mounting being built into the bumper with plastic so when they break, you have to replace the bumper. The A/C compressor makes noise that make it seem like its going to die. The intake manifold ticks, the SRS system is so poorly designed you can cause your air bag warning light to come on just by adjusting the drivers seat. The A/C controlls are so crappy that sometimes I have to slap the hell out of the panel to get the a/c to click on. The brake system works atleast. The seats are not comfortable on long trips leaving the lumbar support as a non helpful adjustment.

Wish I still had it!
By Antoinette

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Mazda in 2014 with 110k miles. She was a one owner car before me and they took very good care of her. I'm sad to say I totaled her at 140k miles. She never broke down on me. I did treat her well and got routine maintenance done. The worst thing about her was the road noise and she was a little bit of a bumpy ride. When the air bag went off it exploded and filled my car with smoke. I hit a car in front of me on highway 405 going about 35 miles per hour. If i had the choice having her back I would.

201,895 original miles!
By Erika

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the '04 2.3 hatchbck manual brand new. Hwy driving t wrk 100 miles a day 4 the past 11yrs. Yes the ck engine lite does come on alot but that is its job t alert you-usually small fixes. Tires are expensive t replace & the pax headlight. Only major work was recently ignition coils replacement wear & tear.t

Real Zoom Zoom Car
By bks

2004 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a Canadian Version Debut 2004 In Seattle. Very Peppy. Felt like driving a BMW or something no way like an Average Corolla or Sentra or a Civic.
Bought it at 7 years old in 2011 with 116K Kms or 70 K miles approximately.
Power steering hose was leaking. Mechanic could not find the spares from Ford.
Went on and finally locked up in the middle of lane change. stalled.
Replaced a Original OEM PS Pump for 1250. No problems after that. Never changed the Michelin Tires from costco that previous owner had.
Struggles while climbing steep uphill. Pickup is awesome, can easily challenge a Dodge or BMW.
Interiors are great that money can buy. stereo is superior .