Used 2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used 2 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Love it!

Jen!, 11/23/2010

I bought this car to replace an '03 Civic coupe, I was initially torn between the Nissan Versa, Scion xd and Honda Fit, this one is way better. I had never even heard of this car before but after driving it I was sold. It handles well, has features I didn't know I could afford, and is spacious enough to meet my needs. I recommend the touring model, the extra features are worth the slight jump in price and make the car stand out a lot more. I'm no longer embarrassed when I drive to work, I'm getting really awesome gas mileage, and I'm having a lot of fun with all of the features.

2 Times the Fun, 1/2 The Cost

armrobc, 03/20/2011

After doing a considerable amount of research on a variety of small cars, I settled on a Mazda2 for a variety of reasons. Chiefly, the styling, fuel efficacy and cost; while not truly being great in any one category, the Mazda2 is very good in many. Many of the reviews and comments I read referred to the 2’s small, 100 hp engine and “slow” starts off the line. Frankly, it is a bit slow; however, if I had wanted a spirited performer, I would have bought a VW GTI. With gasoline prices increasing, the need for a reliable and gas efficient vehicle more than eclipsed my need to go from 0 to 60 in five seconds.

Like a big 'ol Go Kart!!

robtech34, 11/03/2011

Fun, fun,fun! (5 speed manual) I've read some 10.2 second 0-60 numbers on the 5 speed to which I can only say, learn how to drive pal. This car is like driving a comfortable, Go Kart!! Tooling around town is so much fun because 35 MPH feels fast in this car. On the Highway, 80 MPH no problem. Very good build feel inside. Lacks some Bells and whistles, but I have zero use for blue tooth and own a much better GPS than is offered in other competing models.

Drove one in Australia

segesta, 05/14/2010

In May 2010 I visited family in Sydney and drove the Mazda 2. Right hand drive aside, it was a fun car, roomy, even fit my big international-traveler suitcase in the back. Seemed well built, the doors thunked nicely. They've had no reliability problems with it.

Excellent Commuter - Fun and Economical

ljt813, 04/05/2011

I commute about 100 miles per day. I was looking for an economical yet fun car. I decided on the Mazda 2 w/5sp based on reviews, and past experience with Mazda products. This car is comfortable, is responsive and economical. My commute is 60% highway, 40% local and I have been averaging 38-40mpg. I can't recommend it enough.

Why can't they sell more of these?

ksonic, 04/12/2011

In the U.S., the 2 must be one of the great automotive secrets. Since buying mine more than a month ago, I've seen all of one other on the road, and I live in a metro area where subcompacts are common. It's such a great, satisfying car at a low price that it's hard to understand why Mazda dealerships can't seem to give them away. The 2 may seem to be just a cheap economy car for those on budget, but I beg to differ. As a fan of Euro-style small, quick hatches (last car was a Ford SVT Focus), I had to give the 2 a try. It's amazingly fun to drive. It's not fast in a straight line, but it's quick enough. And the features, fuel mileage, and practicality make it a great all-arounder.

Awesome little car!

bigkampe, 08/15/2010

I recently purchased this car and enjoy its quick and responsive handling. For a 100 hp, this little car can move. I could not disagree with edmunds assessment of this car more. I drove the Fiesta and was a little disappointed. Plus, while the Fit is a nice car with more storage, the drive is not a pleasant and its styling is less attractive to me.

Fun with a few flaws

dp1, 09/18/2010

Bought this to replace a 12 year old clunker. I love driving the car. The engine does feel peppy. The lower horse power forces you work the gears. The shifter and gear box are great -- exactly what I expect from Mazda. It is always fun to drive a slow car fast. I bought the base Touring model. It had all the features I wanted; cruise, upgraded stereo, trip computer, etc. I would love to see a center console. I have no where to put my right arm on longer freeway drives.

Nice B Segment Alternative

arevee, 10/14/2010

I read a lot about this car before the purchase and find the following to be true. The car handles very well, but does have some roll. The steering and brakes are great and the engine has enough pep for me. I had a Yaris prior to this car and find this an all around better vehicle.

2 for the Money

gabagooo1, 06/29/2011

With 4000 mile gone, I must say that the Mazda2 is a great car. You will read that it only has a 100 hp engine. You will read that it is small. Yup, both are true. But the 2 is a blast to drive, is peppy and economical. We are averaging 38 mpg in mixed driving. If I had wanted a packet rocket, I would have bought a Mazdaspeed3. The 2 has tons of personality, storage space and room for driver/passengers. I am 5'11" - 340 pounds and I fit in it fine. Great car. Love it.

51050