Used 2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used GS 300 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Don't die before you drive a Lexus !

Tony, 06/16/2017
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well, you can spend all your life time driving other cars and your life goes on , or you can drive a Lexus and every day you will be waiting for the moment you get in your Lexus to drive home after work- wow what a feeling being in a Lexus after a long day at work on a heavy traffic day- this is a meditation in a car, and you will be wondering why other drivers around you are yelling and stressed- because they don't drive a Lexus- look at any Lexus drivers around you and you will see them just enjoying being united with their Lexus. Its been stated multiple times that driving a Lexus is therapeutic, makes you wonder is it still a car? Try a 27 years old LS400 with 300K miles and you wont believe its a car- BMW and Mercedes must be worried, seriously- if you reading that review, get yourself a Lexus, PERIOD.

Lexus G300 230,000

Philip, 04/13/2016
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car used. Had an accident that did NOT show up in Car Fax Report. None-the-less, I've had it since under 25,000 miles and it's run nearly flawless. Air conditioning went, wheel bearings on only one wheel (accident) but we figured that out and repaired it. Taking it to a quarter million.....

6 months in, very happy

mrljacobs, 01/21/2012

I purchased my GS300 with 92,000 miles on it 6 months ago. So far I am very happy. Car is very nice, has great features, and has been problem free. When I purchased there was some rattling coming from near the right front tire. Took to mechanic, replaced front strut mounts, and rattle was taken care of. Cost me $350, but now I enjoy a smooth quiet ride. Average 22mpg, and get much better on long freeway drives. Will upgrade to LS430 in a few years.

A great car to own

mylexgs300, 07/18/2011

This my 3rd GS300, the previous being a '93 and an '00. When the opportunity came along to purchase this vehicle again, this time from my uncle, I couldn't resist. Besides, the normal routine maintenance, the car has required nothing bus gas. Its amazing to drive and feels like a pillow on the road. I can't see myself owning any other brand of car besides a Lexus.

The quality Lexus experience

HC Barnes, 06/15/2007

My second Lexus. I had the first, a 1991 SC 300, for ten years. I bought the GS 300 as a certified used car with one year and 25,000 miles. I now have 124,000 miles on it and it still looks and drives like a brand new car. Service has not been that expensive considering the car and treatment has been perfect. Highway mileage consistently in mid 20s, not bad. I replaced the terrible OEM tires with Yokohama Avids and have been happy with the handling ever since, although the car will never stir the emotions on a visceral level. Bottom line: an ultra- high quality luxury car with competent, but not exciting handling.

Value Performance

driver108, 11/28/2011

At the price point, it can't be beat. 65K miles, one owner, $9K. The straight six is super smooth and the automatic shifts predictably and powerfully. The interior is very cush and the entire car has a very solid feel. It has very strong passing power, but could be faster 0-20. Also, the auto gets momentarily befuddled when shifting into 1st when coasting at around 5mph when you then hit the gas. If you want a car that is all about performance, the GS300 is not for you. However, if you want a comfortable ride, nice appointments, a smooth and powerful engine that gets to 110mph pretty fast, its a good choice. Average 25 mpg on the freeway

Lexus-Finally Mine!

lhester, 03/08/2002

This car has been a treasure to drive. I've not had a bad time in it. The only downside is I couldn't afford the 8 cylinder GS430.

My GS

JimS, 12/28/2009

I have been driving my 01 GS for 3 months now. The car drives so well and so comfortable that I have been driving really slow so I can enjoy spending more time driving.

GS 300

TJ1, 08/07/2002

What can I say. It's a Lexus! I am not in the least bit disappointed. It handles like a dream and is quick, safe and comfortable.

IT'S A LEX

KANE, 05/18/2005

I have only had this car for 2.5 weeks but I love it so much. Even though the style for this car has been redesigned because it was seven years old, it's still a headturner, it's a good feeling. This car is marketed as a luxury sport sedan but I think it's still more luxury than sport. I prefer luxury over sport anyway that's why I bought a Lexus, but the car might not be that appealing to people that want to feel the road. It feels like you're riding on a cloud when you drive this car, like you're separated from the rest of the world. The car is loaded with an abundance of features. It's a great car and I know it will last as long as I need it to.

Old Faithful

AtlantaSpeeder, 07/17/2017
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my GS 300 almost 7 years. It has been an extremely reliable car, and one of the most dependable cars I've ever owned in my whole life. Mine now has 112,600 miles on it. The interior quality is excellent; my car still looks relatively new and rather modern on the inside. Its a little bit cramped in the cabin--especially if you're tall. Its almost like driving a roller coaster seat--very snug and tight. This car is really ideal for people under 5'8". I have one of the less common models that features a GPS system, which was rare in 2001. STILL WORKS, although getting an update can be tricky for such an old system. Performance is not super fast, but this car hugs the road. Body roll is nonexistent in this thing. Exterior appearance still turns heads. This body still is 20 years old, but its still striking. The engine is a gladiator. Premium fuel is required so its not a gas saver at all, and that's one of the car's few cons. Consistent, predictable, and absolutely reliable. If you get one that's been taken care of, it'll be hard for you to ever consider selling it.

Pre-Owned Perfection

Lorraine, 08/02/2017
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in 2005 with ;58,009 miles on it. Have only had ONE repair, under $200, just last year. Kept up annual maintenance, oil changes, etc. and have had normal replacement of battery and tires. Car is now almost 17 years old and the styling has held. I'm just now needing some exhaust work but I've had a long run with no work needed. Would buy this car again with less milage (128,500 now).

NICE CAR BUT

RHPCPA, 12/27/2003

REALLY LIKED THE CAR AFTER DRIVING LINCOLNS FOR SEVERAL YEARS. BUT I HAVE HAD IT IN THE SH0P FOR FOUR PROBLEMS. NONE SERIOUS(I.E. RADIO WENT OUT, DIMMING SWITCH WENT OUT, BATTERY DIED. REAR VIEW MIRROR BROKE. DEALERSHIP FIXED ALL BUT DISAPPOINTED THAT I HAD TO TAKE IT IN SEVERAL TIMES.

Best Car

TJS, 06/03/2006

This is the best car I've ever owned, not perfect but very good. Runs great - no problems, great road car. I have a problem with the straight six engine, I would like a V-6. Truthfully, I didn't know it was a straight six but its the Solara engine. It is fine but I prefer v-6s and V-8s as a personal thing.

Best Car Ever I'm selling my to buy a new one

Brad Crosley, 12/04/2015
4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Reliable, dependable, Fun, and Fast!!!

Great Car

Vrankenstein, 04/11/2002

This is the most reliable and most fun car to drive that Lexus came out with, except the SC430 which is way out of my price range, but still, the GS300 is fully equipped an comes with the most satisfactory.

GS 300 Just as good the second time

ggwes, 05/29/2002

This is teh second GS 300 Lexus we have owned, and it is just as wonderful as the first one. (The first one was a 1998)

Pleasant, reliable ride

bflobk, 01/25/2008

After owning several German cars (Audi, Mercedes, BMW) we purchased a used GS. The styling is very sporty. Powertrain is silky smooth, however the mileage as not that good for the 6 cylinder. Aside from oil changes and brakes, no service problems. That's a relief.

my lexus story

jose torres, 10/09/2002

I WAS IMPRESSED WITH MY FIRST JAPANESE CAR. THE APPEARANCE AND ENGINEERING FAR SURPASSED THE AMERICAN DESIGNS.I AN SOLD ON LEXUS.

GS 300---WHAT A GREAT AUTOMOBILE!!!

Jack Burke HHI, 10/06/2002

The GS 300 is a solid, reliable, stunning car which is extremely comfortable and fun to drive. Exterior styling is supurb, a real "Head Turner". It drives beautifully, and I feel totally safe driving the car. Plenty of head, leg, and trunk room. I love the car!!!

Very nice luxury car, but a little bland

Dallasguy, 04/17/2002

I have a Mystic Sea Opalescent 2001 GS 300 with Navigation/Levinson package, chrome wheels, spoiler, and tint. Very sharp car. The Levinson stereo is top shelf, and I love the navigation system. It's very user friendly, and extremely accurate. Car is very reliable and runs well. Nice, cushy ride, and ample power. I would recommend this car to anyone, unless they want high performance, or more of an exhilerating ride.

01 GS 300 Florida

abockstein, 01/31/2003

best car ever owned...beautiful, still looks brand new, people still comment on it everyday, no mech problems in 2.5years...However, it is NOT a german car. After owning three Audi's before, my next car definitely will be a 5 series BMW, I need more firmness and better handling...Too sum it up, great car, but MUSH!!!!

I Love it!!!!

Elliott138, 02/24/2003

I have been dying to get one of these since 1998, but was stuck in a lease until 2001. I am on 24k now and it is just like I only had it for a couple of months (minus the new car smell) Lexus service is the best I have even been exposed to and that includes Mercedes and Infiniti. Being a Lexus owner is pleasure and look forward to the next purchase in 2005

01 GS300 Fla car

Boca Drew, 09/07/2003

After 3 years and 50K,this was the first vehicle (after 10 others) that I have never had one major problem/complaint After owning Audis (3), all had major and multiple problems, 2 Mitsu's both had problems, My new 03 Acccccura TL-S, 3 problems already. But this thing is built bullet-proof. owever, I really miss feeling the road when I drive, No this is not a euro ride, it is true Japanese MUSH. But not the finish of a Merc/BMW or even Audi. The outside metal-tin like a corolla. So If you really want a great comfy reliable mushy car get this. I will say for the last 3 years all I want is to feel the road again....

GS 300 "The One"

Bear Inc, 11/08/2003

This car is great. After owning various cars including BMW 5 series, Mercedes Benz Clk, and Audi I would still choose the LEX. This car is great in every respect and the Lexus service can't be beat. Truly this car is a keeper.

best luxury car ever own

dj2002, 01/13/2004

excellent, best sport sedan out there .. way better than the E class of mercedez...or BMW 5 series..

Great Car

Bill Ayotte, 03/16/2004

I have enjoyed this car a lot and would recommend it to anyone. We now own the Lexus SUV as well.

Luxury at a bargain price!

DrMFT, 02/23/2007

Just purchased this 2001 GS 300 with 108k miles. Got it for a great price but am settling in for the higher maintenance costs. Just ordered a new key fob to the tune of $290. Ouch! Every 15k mile service is BIG bucks! Other than this, I am blessed to have such a great car!

GS300

tie, 06/30/2003

great car, really reliable. Especially for those that have long commutes.

2001 Lexus GS 300

2001 Lexus GS 300, 03/26/2008

Have been driving this car for 4 years and there are no issues whatsoever just regular maint. Very quiet ride inside the car, they used top materials to build it. Very impressed and don't want to sell. Definitely would buy again.

51050