Used 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Discovery Sport for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Discovery Sport 2016

Lindy Friedman, 11/23/2015
HSE 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

I never envisioned myself in a Discovery Sport, until I drove one. Originally I went to Land Rover to test drive the Evoque. I spotted a white and black Discovery Sport and basically, it was over for the Evoque. I had previously read about all the "issues" with the Discovery and found not one complaint to be true. I had no trouble with acceleration or rough starts. All questions and concerns were answered and reviewed with the salesperson. One test drive, in the rain, was over 2 hours long. I wanted to drive the vehicle in bad weather. Incredible response to the road in the pouring rain. I could not be happier with my Discovery Sport.

After 4.5 years we still love our 2016 Discovery

Fazz Powell, 10/17/2015
SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Update 2021: I bought my wife a Jag iPace EV for her 60th. It's an amazing car! But she wouldn't let me drive it. So I sold my Discovery for $27,500 (private) and bought my own iPace. One thing that was interesting is the Discovery buyer wanted to buy a warranty plan but no company would offer them on LR. He did finally find one for $3700 for 3 years, so I had to adjust my sale price $500. But since I now own 2 Jags, and plan to keep them a long time, this is of concern. I'd never want to go out of warrantee on an EV. Update 2020: Edmunds wanted me to update my review. Not sure how this works with my old review, but I'll still loving this car. No complaints or issues since my last review. I have seen the new version of the Discovery and I can't say I like the view of the boot. Just not as sexy as before. These 2016s seem to be holding value pretty well. In 2016 I paid $41K off the lot w/tax, it's worth $29.6K today (Private sale). Update 2018: After 2.5 years, 6K miles had my battery go up, but that's normal for Florida. Even tho I only I have 6K miles at 2.5 yrs I had the 30K mile check-up: $750. Original: We took delivery of a 2016 Discovery Sport this week and have to say we couldn’t be happier with this purchase. While waiting 3 months for delivery I was reading the reviews and frankly had been quite worried by the bad press. We also test drove the full-size Sport before buying the Discovery and found the almost twice as expensive Sport to have clunky breaking, albeit a luxurious interior. I had a Mercedes GL450, which we found too hard to get in and out of and quite a sterile interior, and compared to the Discovery it was not nearly as comfortable and the transmission was more cumbersome/computerized than the Discovery…by far. So I don’t get the bad reviews. The Discovery Sport in sports mode is super smooth in acceleration and I have not experienced any of the down-shifting issues mentioned in the many reviews. Granted I live in a small town and I didn’t buy the car based on its 0-60 rating. When I first test drove the Discovery I was taken a bit back by the sparse interior by Land Rover standards, but all the dealer had was black. One also has to consider this is a low-cost Land Rover product. I ordered an SE with a Glacier Brushed Aluminum interior and it was very nice and the steering wheel is much more comfortable than the $75K GL450 with the premium 2 upgrade package I had. On the SE the two-tone roof option was only $350 which really sets it off from the competition for look and feel. We looked at every car in this price range and would recommend it to anyone in this market. Fingers crossed on maintenance, but my CPO GL450 had to have a leaking shock absorber replaced with only 28,000 miles and it was not covered by the Benz CPO and cost $900, so I don’t think Mercedes offers any better in quality.

Fun, Practical, & Capable!!!

Galonzow, 08/08/2016
HSE LUX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Overall excellent performance on road & off road. Transmission shifts are rough & unpredictable. Normally drive in Sports mode, tends to smooth out transmission shifts & acceleration. Cargo space is great! Electronics are sometimes a bit quirky. (for example: side view mirrors don't fold out automatically sometimes when they should, get fault that auto high beam sensor is blocked when it is not, rendering auto high beam inoperable).

Ad
Build Your Discovery Sport
At a Glance:
  • 10 Colors
  • 5 Trims
  • $37,795starting MSRP

Discovery Sport 2016 a winner for the driver!

Pat Kudo, 12/08/2015
HSE 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Before buying the 2016 Discovery Sport HSE, I had gone months of research and pricing with many dealers. I am new to the brand as I have been a BMW customer for 15 years. Strayed away from mass German brand and found the smaller production British car to be what I was looking for. I test drove: Audi Q5, Porsche Macan S, BMW X3 & X4, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, and Mercedes GLE300. After the test drives, I knew the car that connected me to the road: Land Rover Discovery Sport. Be aware that JLR dealers outside your "market area" may not sell to you so you have to ask before negotiating. I did all my negotiating between 2 dealers via phone, email and text. Did not have to step inside the dealer's lot - I had already test drove the 2015 model earlier.. As for the dealer, you have to find the one that matches you - they are all different - just like people. Some dealers are snobby, snooty, rude, and others are very helpful, professional and patient. If you are financing or leasing, it pays to find out what are the best bank rates before you negotiate Some dealers are forthcoming and will tell you the finance rate or lease residual/money factors. I dealt with 2 dealers that were very transparent in their sales approach. The car has a bit stiffer suspension than the other cars I test drove, but the connection to the road is more important and the suspension is not jarring - it has manners.... The most important feature standard on this car that makes the drive so good: Torque Vectoring by braking. Torque vectoring makes high speed turns, power acceleration into turns, and off road handling a must have for confidence if you are the driver type. I love the car - it makes me smile again - like I remember when I had my first 4WD BMW. The Discovery Sport is definitely for someone or a family that wants to travel almost anywhere safely and comfortably. UPDATE: 2016 - New software loaded for the Powertrain and Infotainment has changed the car entirely. Engine is now very quick to engage with no more laggy acceleration. The navigation is reliable 100% of the time. Fuel tank reading is now accurate. I LOVE THIS CAR ! UPDATE: 2017 - Updates for the seat rattles, In Touch controls, Navigation, Auto Start Stop, and service reminder all done at no cost was EXCELLENT. Good to see JLR changing their way of listening to customers and addressing issues with factory campaigns. Service dept was very receptive to customer concerns. Good followup after the service work by JLR in England via written survey returned by post. Since I have less than a year left on my lease, I am considering another JLR product to replace the Discovery Sport. Whilst at the dealer for service, I had a chance to speak to my sales advisor and he pointed towards the Range Rover Velar or the full sized Discovery that replaced the LR4. Both look very appealing and a great way to step a customer from the Discovery Sport. So far very happy with the Discovery Sport and would highly recommend to anyone looking for a driver's car (not a mushy soft car like everyone else).....

Three things

Amy, 06/02/2016
HSE 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

After debating for months between this car, the Mercedes GLC and the BMW X3 I went with this car and overall I am happy with it. It has a unique style that people notice (doesn't look like a glorified stationwagon-hatchback), the seats recline in the back & thus are comfortable for adults to sit in for longer than 20 minutes and the interior is not full of superfluous touchpads-mouses-etc so you actually have a place, that isn't the passenger seat, to set something down. I have had the car for about 2-ish weeks and only have 3 issues with the car 1. There is no compass...for a car designed for off-the-beaten-path driving the only way to know which cardinal direction you are heading is to cue up the navigation. I miss the simple N/NE/E/S/SE/W/NW display I had on my rear view mirror in my Nissan. 2. The Heads-Up display is not bright enough to be seen on a Sunny day, but you will definitely see the reflection/glare of the screen that is generating it. 3. The left-right arrow buttons on the steering wheel do not chose between the 18 preset radio stations instead they act like a radio tuner. (I.e. you end up going thru every single radio station that comes in, instead of the ones you know you want to listen to) Kind of undermines the idea of convenience that goes with preprogramming your radio stations or putting buttons on the wheel to control the radio. (If I am wrong on this, please someone tell me how to change it)