Used 2018 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Sorento for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

If it didn't say Kia on the grille....

HTD, 07/05/2018
SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

If it didn't say Kia on the grille, you would have it at the top of your list. My sister bought a 1972 Toyota Corolla as her first car (used) and EVERYONE doubted Japanese cars. She sold it with 211,000 miles, at a time when 100,000 was considered outstanding. I think the same is now true for Korean cars... they need to prove themselves. But take the badge off and overall the Sorento trails no one. Drove the 2018 Audi Q5 and there's nothing not to like but for $15,000 more than the Kia all it had was the really cool display and a faster 0-60. Drove the Lexus RX350. Again, really nice but $12,000 more than the Kia and no Apple CarPlay and only the base engine was same HP. Drove Acura RDX. Again really nice and only 2k more but way smaller in size. Drove the Honda Pilot but after driving the Acura, it was quickly dismissed. Toyota Highlander a bit larger than Kia but an extra $9,000 for same equipment, and again the Toyota/Lexus clunky infotainment system with no Google or Apple. Then we drove the 2019 Kia Sorento. For $40,000 we received AWD and all the safety and entertainment features currently available. The interior was equal or better than everyone except the Audi. Capacity better than anyone except Toyota and Honda but enough for us. With the 3.3L V6 and the 8 speed trans on the 2019, performance is at least equal to everyone except Audi. Safety, it's the only IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus in the group. Reliability is yet to be seen for 2019 but the warranty (60/60,000 and 120/100) is by far the best and, based on past reliability, it's better than all but Lexus and Toyota. So when you put together: value #1, performance #2/3, interior quality #2, infotainment #1 and safety #1: the Kia wins. You just have to get over the fact that it says Kia on the badge.

Lots of luxury features in mainstream prices

Ashgreen, 01/10/2018
EX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

We shopped around for Mid size/compact SUV. After trying CRV, CX-5, Tiguan, Pilot, Highlander we settled down on Kia Sorento. The size is just right with lots of room for front and mid row passengers. The third row is good to have. The V6 engine is perfect for the weight of the vehicle to accelerate. The car handling is very nice with active safety features. The warranty is just great, gives peace of mind for 5 years bumper to bumper and 10yrs/100K on transmission. We have owned Toyota's and Lexus cars before and change to Kia brand was a big decision, we are glad we did make that right.

Edmunds readers like it. So do I.

Howard Gabennesch, 01/10/2018
SX Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

In January 2018, I compared the average consumer ratings on Edmunds for midsize SUVs with at least 20 ratings in the 2017 model year. Acadia trailed the pack at 3.7. Grand Cherokee, Explorer, Highlander, Murano, and Pilot fell in a narrow 4.1- 4.3 range. Edge came in at 4.4. Sorento, Santa Fe, and CX-9 topped the list at 4.6. (By the way, there is often little relationship between consumer ratings and expert reviews of the same vehicle. For example, both Acadia and Sorento received 3.5 stars from the Edmunds expert.) While the Sorento is unchanged in 2018, some of the others are now in new editions and their 2018 ratings may turn out to be different. But it's safe to say that the current Sorento has been well received by the owners who submitted reviews to Edmunds. And this satisfaction mirrors my own. High-quality interior, quiet ride, excellent safety technology, superior warranty, peppy V6 on regular gas, Android Auto, thoughtful touches throughout (e.g., AC outlet). Shoppers should be aware that several competitors are roomier, but so far I can't find much else I'd change. Oh, I did replace the front and rear Kia badges with the more stylish “K” logo displayed on Kias sold in Korea. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this vehicle. UPDATE 9/12/20 -- I still love my 2018 Sorento, but Kia seems to have a problem with the 2019 model. Currently, Edmunds consumer ratings of the Sorento have dropped from 4.5 in both '17 and '18 to 3.9 for the 2019 model year. However, ratings of the 2020 model seem to be rebounding. UPDATE 10/5/20 -- How have the Edmunds consumer ratings of popular 2018 midsize SUVs fared after a couple of years on the road? To date, average ratings of Traverse, Acadia, Enclave, Explorer, Pilot, XT5, and Grand Cherokee are unimpressive at 3.3-3.8, while Forrester, Outlander, Durango, Murano, Sorento, and Santa Fe score well at 4.4-4.5. CX-9 leads the league with 4.6. All vehicles have at least 24 ratings. Variations in sample size and other factors require caution when interpreting small differences.

My first SUV. VERY pleased!

Happy driver, 03/06/2018
LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

This 2018 Kia Sorento LX V-6 is perfect for me. I didn't want a large SUV, and found this vehicle provided 'just right' passenger and storage room. Plenty of cubbyholes for various gear, enough USB and power receptacles, rear-seat passenger HVAC controls, ease of entry and exit front and rear, lots of passenger room, comfortable seats, plenty of power from the V-6 engine. I found the 4 cyl just too anemic, and I don't care for turbos. Interior finish and quality of materials are excellent. I didn't need a lot of high-tech options which are available, settling instead for a backup camera, but forgoing most of the other technology. My GPS links perfectly well and displays on the vehicle's screen so no need for navigation. U.S. News ranks the 2018 Sorento #2 in their list of the top 19 mid-sized SUVs, and I agree wholeheartedly. I shopped the GMC Acadia, Toyota Highlander, GMC Terrain, Ford Edge, and Hyundai Santa Fe, and in the end, felt the Sorento was the best value for the money spent. Build and materials quality are top-notch. So far, I am VERY pleased with my choice. Can't imagine needing or desiring any more than this vehicle offers. I received an email request from Edmunds today, asking that I update the original review of my 2018 Kia Sorento LX. I am now 8 months into the ownership and daily use of this vehicle. I have owned many different vehicles in the 60 years I have been driving. I still contend that this one is my all-time favorite. This SUV is just right for my needs; roomy enough, very comfortable, quiet, smooth, and V-6 power which never ceases to surprise me. I have read some reviews which find fault with this SUV's handling. I have never experienced any traffic or road conditions in which my Sorento handled in any manner other than perfectly. Considering the price I paid and the options included in the LX model, I cannot think of another better vehicle for me. I plan to keep this SUV for a long time, but given my satisfaction level, I would certainly seriously consider replacing it with another Sorento, should the need arise. 9/7/19 Once again, I am responding to an Edmunds request for an update on my 2018 Kia Sorento LX. During the year and-a-half in which I have owned this vehicle, I have had only one service problem. Some Sorentos of varying years have developed a 'sticky steering' situation. It is as though the tires have caught in a groove on the road, and you must exert a little steering wheel pressure to break the wheel free. It was irritating, but not a major deal for me. My Kia dealership took care of the situation. Two service visits were necessary, but even though I live a 130-mile round trip from the dealer, that wasn't a problem for me. The service department handled my complaint very well, and the dealership even gave me a nice loaner vehicle each time. I STILL love this Sorento! Quiet, smooth, great V-6 power, nice handling, plenty of room. exceptional build and material quality. I am as happy as ever with my purchase of this SUV, and plan to keep it for many more miles. 3/9/20 Once again, I am responding to Edmunds request that I update my posts of ownership of my 2018 Kia Sorento LX v-6. Everything I have posted above still holds true, including my complete satisfaction with this SUV. I currently have right at 17,000 miles logged. I have zero problems with any aspect of this vehicle. I am as satisfied with the quality of the build, ride, performance, comfort, room, and materials as with any vehicle I have ever owned, and that covers a lot of territory. I feel that I received excellent value for the money spent. Since I plan to drive this vehicle for a number of more years, I am hopeful it will remain one of my favorites. So far it has met all of my considerable expectations. As an aside, I was reading the Edmunds review of the 2020 Sorentos, and was shocked to see one comment from the testers. In their assessment they stated that even with the V-6 engine, the acceleration was lackluster. I strongly disagree. My 2018 V-6 Sorento has surprised not only me, but several passengers in situations where it became necessary to 'get on it.' It will SCOOT when needed! It is now 9/11/20, and I am answering a request from Edmunds to once again update my earlier posts regarding my opinion of my 2018 Kia Sorento LX v-6 SUV. At this point, I have 20,000 miles on this vehicle, which I purchased new in early 2018. Each positive comment I have made in my posts above, still holds true. I am just as pleased and satisfied with this SUV now, as I was when it was first purchased. Quiet, smooth, handles well, roomy, comfortable, excellent quality and performance. Absolutely zero complaints. Plan to keep it for many more miles and years. 3/14/21 Here we are three years into ownership of our 2018 Kia Sorento LX V-6. I am just as satisfied with this vehicle as I was when we purchased it new in 2018. I have no complaints, and still regard it as one of the best vehicles we have owned.

Luxury car without luxury badge

Eric, 04/07/2018
SX Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

The Sorento is an outstanding SUV, especially for the price. I'm completely satisfied with my choice. Pros: The best infotainment system we saw. Everything is easy to use and it has Apple Carplay/Android Auto; Luxury interior; quiet ride; great adaptive cruise control; great safety technology; small footprint is easy to maneuver in urban parking lots. Cons: steering and handling is not sporty; third row access could be better; fuel economy is poor, especially relative to the wagon I had before; it's a handsome car but not exciting to look at; Kia doesn't have the cache of a luxury brand and many people still see it as a cheap car. In addition to the Sorento we test drove an Audi Q7, Volvo XC90, and Mazda CX-9. We originally thought we would get a luxury brand but decided the premium we would pay for the Audi could be used to fund some pretty nice vacations and the Sorento is close enough in quality that it wasn't worth an extra 20k. The Volvo is a beautiful car and not as expensive as the Audi, but the Kia drives better, has a better infotainment system and controls, and doesn't have all the reliability red flags. The Mazda is also sexier than the Kia but it also has some reliability issues, weaker technology, and no apple Carplay. Now that I have Apple Carplay I will never own a car without it again. My wife also hated the heads up display in the Mazda. Fuel economy: we live in a hilly urban area where we get 9 mpg city. With our 4 cylinder Acura wagon we were getting about 14 mpg city. On the highway, if I set cruise control to 70 mph I get 26-28 mpg.

THERE IS A REASON......

Scott Ray, 06/11/2018
LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

.........Why the Kia Sorento gets such high marks for quality. I have owned this for three weeks and I am truly impressed with the level of finish and the outstanding quality of the vehicle. It's incredibly smooth and so quiet for an SUV. The 6 cylinder engine is a must for a mid-size AWD SUV such as this. The acceleration is great. And let's not forget the ten year powertrain warranty. My dealer actually DOUBLED it too. 20 years and 200K miles! I know that there are other dealers that do the same. It says a lot (to me) when a manufacturer has that much faith in their product. Thanks KIA!!!!!!

Second Sorento

Mark, 11/19/2018
LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd Kia Sorento. Just traded in my 2013 with over 110,000 miles on it. In the 6 years that I owned it I had no major issues. Bought another one without hesitation.

sleeping power steering pump

Robert USNR, 10/30/2018
LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I have noticed that while driving over 50 MPH on a hi way I'll be going straight and move the steering wheel a millimeter and it jumps left or right. this startles me and I almost jerk the wheel to hard to regain control. I read where someone posted that Kia has had this problem for years and won't fix it because it's not a life threatening problem. Ha Ha i almost jerked the wheel out of control. It's very annoying when you can't relax your hand on the steering wheel with out it jumping right to left. Ask drivers of Kia what they think, or better yet test drive one on the freeway at 65 mph

Surprize! It's a KIA

Mike McNamara, 03/25/2018
EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I usually buy a 2 year old car and drive it 8-10 years. So, I started a year ago looking for a replacement for a 2006 Lexus RX330. I wanted all the new safety devices. I loved the Lexus, but didn't like the newer "big mouth bass" look. So, the Highlander, Forrester and Sorento were the final 3 on my list. However, after driving the Sorento and being amazed at its Lexus-like comfort and quiet, but with better handling, I was sold. After an extensive Internet search, the 2016 Sorento I was considering was only $7000-8000 less than the deal we negotiated on a new 2018. So, I pulled the trigger on a new one! I've driven it under various road and weather conditions and am still amazed at what a terrific car it is. It has a little more space than the RX330, which is good for the volunteer work I do and it has the emergency 3rd row for the grand kids, although they stay stowed flat most of the time. The Apple Car-Play is a plus. So, if you're looking for that right-sized SUV and want great handling, quiet and comfort, you should drive a Sorento. It is also a lot less money than an RX350 or Highlander. Now, after 2 years of ownership and 24,000 miles, I'm happy to report that I've only followed the scheduled maintenance recommendations, and enjoyed 100% reliability. It carries everything I need for volunteer work, as well as our annual 2 month trip to Florida. Looking forward to mny more years of reliable driving.

Pleased with my choice

Granny, 12/18/2017
EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

This seems like a really nice car. Only have had it a couple weeks, but it drives easily, very smooth comfortable ride.. and I test drove a couple others. Very easy to get in and out. Even 2nd row seats are comfortable and easily accessible, and recline (and I am tall). I love that it takes regular grade gasoline and I have been averaging about 19 mpg in the city. Now it's 7 months old and I am still very pleased. We drove it from Pittsburgh to Florida and back last winter and had no complaints at all. Heater/AC excellent.

Great SUV

Lee C, 01/29/2019
LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd SUV after my VW Tiguan crapped out at 150k. What an upgrade! Never thought I’d have a more comfortable and exceptional road handling vehicle but the Kia Sorento with 6 cylinder engine outperforms with a luxuriously quiet smooth ride. I would call this vehicle perfect except for two things. Kia puts hankook tires on the lx with awd and they suck. They have poor traction in wet and snowy conditions. This leaves me wondering how Kia could create such a gem of a vehicle which they know people are buying for the all wheel drive ability and mount poor performing tires on it. Kia should start paying attention to customer reviews. I immediately bought Michelin Premier tires and the issue is fixed but at an $850 cost. Trust me it’s money well spent. The second item is minor but not fixable. The stereo controls on the steering wheel are poorly designed and while turning I’m constantly changing the volume and switching stations by accident. Kia needs to change that in their next version. Overall I love this Sorrntoand would buy it again in a second.

Our Second Sorento...Just Couldn't Resist

Stephen Hendricks, 05/15/2018
SX Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

We had a 2012 Sorento that was mainly my wife's daily driver and the trip vehicle for our family of three plus our large dog. It had been a completely reliable ride for 70K miles but with so many safety improvements in recent years we felt it was time to look around again. We considered just about every SUV/Crossover with an MSRP of $50K or less. Frankly we couldn't find a better set of features, a more comfortable and quiet ride, and a "just right" size in any other vehicle. The excellent price combined with a generous trade-in at the local KIA dealer meant we came home with a 2018 SXL AWD model. Update: (5/22/19) We're up to 17,000 miles on our 2018 Sorento and just as happy as when we bought it in the first quarter of 2018. It's my wife's daily driver and the family's trip vehicle. In the 13 months we've owned the vehicle we've been on trips to the Washington coast, to the Cascades to ski, and on several trips to the Oregon coast. All without a single issue. We would, of course, like to get better fuel economy but at 23 mpg we meet or exceed EPA estimates for mixed driving and with literally no repairs of any kind required.

Awesome

Amber Key, 06/25/2019
LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I have been in the Mountains for over a week now and it is a great ride on and off road

Korean fit

luis p, 02/09/2018
SX Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

Being 6.2 and heavy, found out this vehicle is not for long trips, for unless size/weight is average person from Korea, it gets cumbersome on a long haul. As to the back being comfy, not really. Seats do not adjust properly, and passengers have complained about lack of comfort. Admittedly, these individuals are older, and previous to this vehicle, we had a Honda Odyssey Elite. Why did I buy it then? A blunder, in my case. Performance is good, and the adaptive cruise control works like clockwork. Storage spaces throughout the cabin is quite limited. Ours has under 3000 miles, and for those more on the average/petite size this SUV should be more pleasing. I must tilt my head a little when boarding the vehicle. Stereo is average, and CD player heats up rapidly, hate to play it too much during hot weather. 3.5 Stars. PS Upon further driving, the vehicle grows on you. Comfort level remains iffy, unless you are a small person. For those sitting in the back is not a comfortable situation. No reclining of seats, and basically one position. Myself I have to tilt my head to enter (my chiropractic is quite thrilled about it), just because I am over 6 feet. So far the vehicle appear sturdier than most, and relatively quiet. 4 Stars. 2-14-2019: This vehicle had been reliable, and in that sense, more satisfying than initially thought, but I have bought a Telluride instead.

Pleasant surprise!

Richard, 03/12/2018
EX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I had just turned in a 2015 Acura RDX for the new Sorrento. I was not expecting the same amount of car for the price of a new RDX. Boy was I surprised. This is more car for nearly the same amount we were paying before. The only thing I gave up was the sun roof which a do miss a bit. However, I am impressed with the way the Sorrento handles and the engine response. I keep finding things it can do that I was unaware of. I am puzzled as to why KIA did not put in day-time running lights. I have to turn on the parking lights to be seen by other drivers. (??????????)

Great buy

Phil Norman, 01/17/2019
EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

The is a great car with several upscale features not provided by other mfg.s Love the dash board and front seat layout. The passenger seats behind the fount are very roomy. Passengers love the amenity. The car as third row seating I don't plan on using but are great to have in case. Third row has temp controls. Great for when we have kids with grand kids along for ride. Cargo is very generous. overall Love the car. Gas mileage is a draw back in city. highway MPG is very acceptable for this type of car. Combined mileage, I'm getting avg. 21 MPG. Great Value. We got towing package and roof cross bars. I would buy again.

luv this suv

angie, 04/30/2019
LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

so far so good! very comfy ride. no complaints

Good car but brake rotors suck

Bryan, 08/22/2020
EX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I really like my Sorento and have only had one issue - the front brake rotors warped at 28,000 miles. Thought the 5 year 60k warranty would cover it and much to my surprise it was on me. Rotors are considered a wear item and only warrantied for 12,000 miles. Read the fine print. 3rd Kia and dissapointed on them. Probably be my last.

Overall. nice and comfortable ride, but....

SJ, 04/05/2018
LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

This is my second Sorento. Overall I like them both, but I hear a lot of air leaking in from the front passenger door or back passenger door, not sure which door. I made sure that I slammed the doors shut, but there is still a whistle of air coming from the doors. The door seals are tight, because there's no water leakage coming into the vehicle. I had a 5 passenger 2016 Sorento and bought a plastic cargo tray for the back. I was told that the cargo tray would fit the 7 passenger 2018 Sorento, THIS IS TOTALLY NOT THE CASE. I have to now cut and try to fit the cargo tray into the back of the vehicle. What a pain!!!!

Ridiculous car

Ryan, 12/29/2020
LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

Check reviews ... 75000 miles already new engine needed and this is not isolated event, as i have seen many with same issues. Kia vehicles look nice, but are garbage

More than a bargain

Scott Munro, 04/11/2020
EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2018 Kia Sorrento based upon its towing rating and the value the vehicle offered. I haven’t owned the car for almost 2 years I’ve learned to truly appreciate its comfort reliability and easy to live with characteristics. I did not have very high expectations for the Kia. brand and perhaps that is why I am so impressed by it confident and comfortable nature.

Top Value!!!

ALAN PORTER, 11/08/2017
EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

One of the best values on the road!

Great SUV

John D. Amherst, 01/27/2019
EX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 8A)

This is the fourth Sorento I have leased. Each model has been more improved over the previous one. For the price, the size, the comfort you can't beat it.

My Sangria Kia

My Sangria Kia, 01/18/2018
EX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

Love the vehicle so far. Not too many miles on it yet due to icy roads. I love how it handles and hugs the road. I still have many features to explore.

Not so bad!

mike, 01/08/2018
EX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

Good infotainment panel. Excellent warranty. Google maps on phone will display on screen.

I liked it because it a mid size SUV

CNelson, 12/05/2019
LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

It has a lot or room for it to be a mid size SUV plus the cargo space is really big Best I have had yet😍 never had a 4 cycle but this is Perfect

Computer and Electronic issues

Lori Carter, 09/12/2019
EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Poor shifting between 35 and 45 mph. Slipped out of gear while in park in my driveway. High speed steering alert @ 55 mph Doors shut with a loud thump that shakes the car. Will not buy again

How is it possible to love and hate the same car.

JAMES SMITH, 08/14/2020
EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our Sorento brand new, and love it--sort of.. We have had a recurring electrical problem since the first year. Have had it into the dealer around 10 times - some of which they kept if for a week trying to isolate the problem--which is still occurring. Not as often, but we still get the error message. Now we are having a/c problems and have taken it to the dealer for the 3rd time. They are sure there is a freon leak, but cannot find it. Last time they added a dye to the freon.. It is at the dealers now..Too many problems for a brand new car.. We love and hate it at the same time..It was exactly what we wanted when we bought it...If they can't get it fixed -- it's gone.

Too many little problems for a NEW car!

Kristine Daniels, 09/30/2018
LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We’ve brought our Kia Sorento in so many times for so many different issues! We never bring our other muchbokder car into the shop.

4 cycle NYC good on ECO, SPORT is Power if needed

WShams, 02/25/2021
LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We just bought a Certified 2018 Sorento LX (2.4) AWD with some 44k for $16,850. With a remainder of 60k power and 100k/10year warranty this larger than CRV/RAV is a pretty good deal for our family of two adults and 2 kids. We can haul two more souls comfortably with middle row sliding and creating extra space for third row. Power was in SPORT mode when needed, else ECO is all we needed on our trip from Albany to NYC and back on single gas tank ($44). Kids reclined seats for their grandmother and we even carried a 92" long rolled carpet tucked right in between their seats (with mid section rolled down). Our first vehicle is a sedan and this vehicle makes big difference in space on long trips. We can pack bags, suitcases and still have space to recline middle seats. Multiple USBs make life easier for us and kids. Android phone display helps a lot in using phone maps and other apps. NYC drive is constant stop and go, and Sorento performed very well in ALL traffic conditions. The only thing I did not like was it's two notch down shifting during cruise setting. Unlike the smooth up-shifting it felt like transmission was going down to 2nd gear at hill climbs and it jumped a lot in between. The vehicle drives excellent and always feels in control. Body is solid like a German machine and feels reliable like a Japanese machine.

51050