Used 2008 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

want a newer car but dont want to trade mine in
By Kim Lane

2008 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car has great acceleration , it is a nice looking car and have had no problems with it at all I want a newer car but like this so well that I have become super picky and I really don't want to trade it in I don't understand why the trade in value is not higher . I bought it for the handling and my husband loved the safety ratings . I had owned several jeeps but this car is at least if not much better built. This vehicle is not a car and doesn't drive like one but is more similar to a combo car/truck .What made me want to buy one in the first place was outstanding warranty and appearance of the Sorento and have been very happy . I would recommend this car to everyone interested .

Very Jeep-like
By Anthony

2008 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Despite some short comings, I like this SUV.
Pros:

4WD, space and comfort, good cargo room, good engine power, great traction. 127600 miles on the odo and still on the original spark plugs and suspension!

Cons:

An annoying rattle that no one can find. We have been over the SUV with a fine toothed comb, MANY times and cannot find the rattle.
Very sensitive accelerator.
Thirsty V-6 engine, but who buys a 4WD SUV for the MPGs?
Owner's manual states that 87 octane gas/petrol is minimum. That is a lie! This vehicle needs 89 and if you want it running right, it needs premium fuel. I have been using premium for years and never had a problem. When I used 87 or 89, the engine knocks, pings and becomes very hesitant.
Engine has always had an annoying whining when starting and accelerating, but it does not cause any problems.
Get any other color than bright silver. For some reason people tend not to see it! I have had to stick red and white reflectors on the bumper and back door to increase its visibility for other drivers.
Brakes have always been too soft, even when new. Stopping distance is long so brake accordingly.

100,000 miles in and all's well
By kudosk9

2008 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Now that I've written this review everything's probably going to go the heck.
I purchased this brand new, off the lot, with less than 100 miles on the clock.
It now has over 100K. This car has been a solid work horse for me.
I've had to have it in for just one service that I wouldn't be considered wear and tear, and that was when a sensor went out at about 4mon and essentially meant the gas pedal wouldn't work.
Apart from that, it's been the usual things that happen to a 6 year old car that has 100k on the clock.

This has been a dog hauling vehicle. I can fit my two SUV sized crates in the car. It offered the best size and value. Any other car with this kind of capacity would have cost another 6k+, or I'd have had to go for a minivan. It's comfortable, has a firm ride (I prefer that as a 'boaty' feeling makes me sick). Good solid array of entry level features and is surprisingly solid in snowy/icy weather for a RWD vehicle.

Gas mileage, yeah, it sucks. I downloaded an App and started recording the $/# and found it to be 15/21 downhill, with the wind behind me, sticking firmly to the speed limits. High speed and A/C will kill that mileage. An additional cup holder in the front doors would be handy and I'd really like to see a compass in the mirror as standard. The road noise is high, but I recently found my friend's Ford to be much higher, so I guess it's not so bad.

Gas Cap - Escape light / check engine light
By terry137

2008 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2008 Sorrento used about 6 weeks ago. Check engine light/escape light has started coming on and vehicle will not run over 20 miles per hr. I have bought a gas cap and it still has not fixed the problem for more than a day. This is described in the book as a reason the check engine light to come on. A mechanic said the vents that vent the gas vapors can collapse. That is the next thing to have checked. I was looking online to see if any recalls but did not find any. Surely, this is not an isolated problem.

Comfortable to drive and ride in

less rattles

a lemon
By notveryhappy3

2008 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2008 Kia Sorento brand new. After 6 months i had to take back to dealer and the rotors had to be resurfaced so $150 later I had to take it back a couple of months later the throttle sensor went out. From there was every sensor in the car. I had to take it back to the dealersip every 3 months for a year, It has been 1 problem after another with this car. I started haveing a problem with the car when I would crank it of a morning it sounded like the motor was gonna come out of the car. I took it to the dealership and they told me it wsa just over due for an oil change (not) then they put some oil additavies in the car told me to drive it for a week and it would be fine (not) took

the car back told them to keep it over night and crack it the next morning which they did and finally heard the noise. They found metal shaving in the oil pan and yes I needed a new motor due to manufactoring errors then 6 months later the computer went out had to replace that and now they have had it in the shop for 2 weeks for the gas pedal and sensor that has been replace 5 times now. I have not owned the car 4 years yet and I am scared to drive it very far.I am waiting to hear from the regional office as I have filed a legal complaint for a faulty car..

The whole car