Used 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid Consumer Reviews

Hybrid 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (7 reviews )

Do Not Buy, stick with Toyota
By Sad

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I bought this car to Have the Benefits of the Hybrid, but I also liked and preferred the sporty style over the Camry ( have been a Toyota guy and got off that wagon to get a sporty, more fuel efficient Hybrid....I have regretted it ever since). As far as I know, 2012 was the first year Kia did the Hybrid, and with anything new, there are going to be flaws. I should have done more research prior. I bought this 2012 Hybrid with 64,000 miles. Before I even got my plates, the transmission started skipping. I took it to the dealer here in SLC, UT and the dealer could not diagnose the problem for 3 days. You would think something this messed up would not be blamed on the driver - especially at only 66,000 miles. The dealer had to call the main factory in CA, and after a few more days it was determined that the transmission was messed up due to the fact that it was a Hybrid, it was not engaging correctly with the engine. This was a $3500 fix. Here is where it would be nice for a manufacturer to step up, admit their flaws and faults and fix the problem - not charging the consumer. Too many times manufactures try to duplicate their competition and in so doing have to figure out the kinks and problems - like every manufacturer does...the problem here is Kia expects the consumers to not only tell them what is wrong (by bringing the car into the dealer to get fixed), but they expect the consumer to pay for it as well. Kia is basically getting their research paid for by consumers so that the next year they can fix the flaws and have a better car...this seems messed up and backwards to me. I would have been loyal for life if Kia would have accepted responsibility and resolved the issue. They need to have a recall on the transmissions for the 2012 Hybrids, but unless something kills someone in today's society, no one admits to anything. Again, I should have done more research, I thought that I would not have any problems with a car that only had 66,000 miles. I will never own or trust Kia again, I will stick to Toyota.

Worst decision for a first time car buyer
By Ashli

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I'm do disappointed with colonial Kia I bought a used 2012 Kia Optima lx at 25,000 miles I've had to replace tires twice since I bought it last year really had in rain and snow. Just recently for state inspection had to buy a whole new set of tires! Then tonight I actually made it home thank god but my car now will not start! I've poured a lot of money into this car this is my first car that I bought and it has been a horrible experience my Jetta vw that was given to me from my mom lasted longer than this :(

Transmission went out at 60,400 miles!
By Tim

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We've have had this car since new, and didn't have any issues until it was out of manufacturers warranty. While driving approximately 55mph the vehicle went into "limp mode" and told us to "pull over and safely exit the vehicle" (this was displayed on the dash). If I tried to put it in drive it would make a very hard jump, and would not accelerate. Upon contacting Kia I was told that there was no road side assistance because our car was out of warranty. So we loaded the vehicle up on my parents flat bed and hauled it to the dealership it was purchased from in Ocala, Fl (we were in Jax, Fl and insurance wouldn't transport it that far). Thank God for the extended warranty! Because after sitting in the dealership for over two weeks while they were "waiting to hear back from Korea, because we've never seen this problem" the car needed a new transmission and new electric motor. If we wouldn't have had the extended warranty I would have set the damn thing on fire because I can't imagine what the cost of that was (our repair bill did not give a price). On top of the transmission and electronic motor going out, the buttons to change the station on the steering wheel do not work properly, and the steering wheel itself is peeling apart. Front air damn fell off going down the road. According to Kia it was because my wife couldn't park, but I think it was never put on properly. Steering wheel makes a clicking noise if you barely turn it while the vehicle is stopped. I'm sure it will break while we're on the highway. Fit and finish are decent but the car does not live up to its price tag or its estimated fuel economy. Our warranty goes out at 100k so at that time we'll trade it in for $1,500 and put that towards a Honda.

Zero Problems in 50,000 miles of driving!
By heyguy

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My wife and I both drive Optima Hybrids and we both traded in Lexus' for these cars.
While not luxury laden like our old cars (and we do miss the wood, quality leather, and quieter drive, our cars have almost all the bells and whistles and have performed flawlessly for 2+ years and combined 50,000+ miles of driving.

Love the 6 speed shiftable transmission, great radio,
and heated and cooled seats.
Love to the 35-40 mpg we get on long drives!

TRansmission, 200hp, large interior, great sound system.

Nav system does not compute traffic in the driving time prediction.

So far so good...
By bykdude

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Great car and great value. First 1000 miles ok. Only complaint would be the seats. Dude...you might as well be seating on a park bench. Other than that, this vehicle has all the features of any other luxury car. We'll just have to see how it stands up over time.

Hyrbrid performance is acceptable. Getting around 33 mpg all city driving. You never get what they claim. Great styling.

Factory stereo sucks. Seats suck. If you don't have hemorroids you will after riding in this thing for awhile.