Used 2012 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Liberty for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

A good choice

jeffinhawaii, 02/02/2012

I recently purchased the 2012 Liberty Jet edition. Over the past two weeks that I have had the vehicle, I have found it to exceed my expectations from what I have read in other reviews on line. I bought it based primarily on an emotional response - I had a 2002 Jeep Liberty that finally died. I was looking at other vehicles and then test drove the Jet. If you are looking for a vehicle that has the power, capability and look to plow through rough terrain, but then transition nicely to a luxurious ride, the Jet does it in spades. The seating is comfortable, the cabin well equipped and understandable and it really performs on and off the road. No complaints thus far.

Farmer Owned and Approved

Aaron S., 06/03/2016
Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I went from a Ford Truck to this 2012 Jeep Liberty 3 years ago because I wanted a reliable 4wd that could sit 4 people comfortably with a 5,000 pound towing capacity. I bought it a year old with 29,000 miles. I too was skeptical because of the expert reviews, however the customer reviews were very positive and I was impressed on my test drives. Now that I have owned it for several years, this is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have towed extremely heavy trailers and put it in places that I should not have been able to drive away from. It has literally saved my life a time or two. I have never had one thing go wrong with it. The 4 speed auto is ancient, but it is reliable. The 3.7 engine is the same way. Fuel mileage sucks, but you are paying for a capable SPORT UTILITY, not an SUV body on a Honda Fit. This was made to be a sport utility from the ground up. Only complaints I have: The backseat leg room is somewhat cramped, the front foot leg room is cramped, and the trip button on the steering wheel oddly only works half the time, however i just use the other trip button on the dash. Also, the fuel mileage but as stated earlier, it is expected. Here are my fuel mileage numbers: Average 17.04 Highest 21.81 Lowest 12.74 Overall, great vehicle for someone who wants a more capable sport utility that the status quo. Just understand what you are sacrificing in return.

The best vehicle I have ever purchased

dealer7, 04/25/2012

Being 55 years old I have purchased many, many vehicles the Jeep Liberty is by far the best most logical I have ever purchased. The MPG is alot better than advertised, the ride is alot smoother than I expected ,the exterior and interior styling is great. This Jeep is built to last it will most likely last me the rest of my life. I test drove every mid size SUV on the market and found that no other manufacturer comes close to the Jeep Liberty. I let some friends take it for a trip they loved it and are now in the market for one. The Liberty was a great surprise and I am very happy I bought one.

It's not a compromise

jsib, 08/15/2013
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Never a compromise, a pack leader. Show me another "comparable" vehicle that can tow 5000lbs, great 4x4 for my excursions and snow, looks like a royal and is a snap to clean up!?! I towed 3000lbs from Tulsa to Indianapolis at 19.1 mpg and 65mph. My friend has a V8 Tahoe and never gets better than 15 around town with some highway added in. Roomy, easy to use and a classic elegant design inside and out. Extremely happy with it and it kills me that the replacement is awful and ugly (2014 Cherokee). Jeep forums are filled with Jeep loyalist that actually love to help out. **Update** While the Jeep hasn't grown on me more than the initial months it hasn't diminished either. I went into the purchase knowing the downfalls and the only glaring unfixed downfall to mention is the suspension. After not driving the Jeep for a while I jump in and am appalled by the suspension. I am currently in a rental (2015 200C) and the same downfall exist, horrible suspension characteristics. Everything else I can attest the Jeep lives up to it's name. It hasn't been a pavement queen and getting into the Rockies is an uneventful proposition. We do not drive to the extreme but have easily driven the stock Jeep through a myriad of environments: deep sand/mud/rivers, steep ascents/descents, and pushed our level of rock crawling to hang some wheels. We do all of this loaded to the max with gear, family of four, and the dog all stuffed in or on the Jeep. The first aftermarket addition was the air filter housing which is poorly made. The next addition is an aftermarket lift/suspension upgrade from some Old Man out there. With the added benefit of a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty my boys will be driving this in ten years easy. If I am not.

First nice car for wife in a long while

Pastor Bo Higby, 02/15/2016
Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We just bought a 2012 Trail Rated Liberty with the full sunroof about a month and a half ago. We are 2nd owners and we bought it with about 35k on it. We just drove it with our kids from Boise to San Diego (and all over San Diego for a week) and are now 3/4 of the way home. This thing is built solid. Drives smooth and has done decent on gas. Below 80mph increases the mpg's. Best we have calculated was just under 22mpg. The transmission in this thing is incredibly smooth. Edmunds says the engine is sluggish, but I think it just isn't as jerky as some other motor/tranny combos. We love the exterior design and the way it drives. The full sunroof is really cool and a neat feature. I will say this; I am 6' tall and weigh about 250 and the driver's compartment does feel 'snug', so if you are much bigger than me, ya might want something a bit bigger. Overall, we are thrilled with it. I'm 47 and my wife is 6 years younger. We have 2 kids (9 & 4) and all of us love this car, so far. Interior is a little chincey, but hey, it's a Jeep not some foo-foo high end suv. If you get one of these, I think you'll be glad you did, just like we are. - August, 2016: We still love this Jeep. We have taken several more road trips including a few from Boise, Idaho to Trego, Montana, where we now live. The Jeep is performing well and now that we drive a mile down a dirt road to get into and out of our new house, we are really pleased we have it. We are looking forward to our first north woods winter in it.

Best choice for the money

keno90, 02/23/2012

This vehicle is the best choice for people who are on a budget, actually need a 4x4, towing and have children. Edmunds is crazy to say otherwise. I wonder sometimes where these guys live and if they have a budget. There is no other vehicle in this class, at this price that even comes close. We just traded our 2008 Liberty in on a 2012 because they were selling them so cheap. We got a very well equiped (4x4, V6, towing package, sunroof) Liberty for $23,700. That was the dealer price folks, not with anything down or traded. We were actually upside down on our trade but it was worth trading because it lowered our payment $50 a month.

12 months and no regrets

krisiam, 11/28/2012

First and foremost I love this car because of the value -- an unbelievable deal at the time I got it at the end of '11 taking advantage of mfg. incentives left me with a 4x4 with popular option group for 22K. That's so low for a 6 cylinder 4x4 SUV it's unreal. Front seats are supportive and would be comfortable except for the placement of the driver's side seat belt the metal part digs into my hip and becomes painful on long rides. Stereo has decent sound and the output to hook up the mp3 player is a nice. Have had some electrical issues which affect the horn and audio controls, have had it in 4x for the same problem(s). Holding out hope they'll resolve it, want to keep it forever.

Owners Review 3 years (35k miles)

PAF20, 12/21/2015
Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car review people don't know what they are talking about. They don't live in Colorado. The Liberty has adequate power to get you on I-25 on long on ramps. It is good in city traffic on acceleration. The 4 speed transmission may be outdated, but the newer 7 + speed transmissions on newer Jeeps like the Renegade or Cherokee (not the Grand) designed by Fiat have problems, beware. The 4 speed transmission on the 2012 Liberty is very reliable. Sure it is not a luxury vehicle, but you don't live in it. It is good overall despite it's fuel economy, but most 6-8 bangers don't get that well of gas mileage, especially the Toyota 4-runners, which the Jeep Liberties are supposed to be matched to, not like the Rav-4 or other wimpy crossovers that use 4 bangers. Car critics don't know what they are talking about because they don't own the vehicles they test. It is just their opinion. Talk to ones who own the Liberties and uses them. You will not find very many Jeep liberties on the used car lot. Many are keeping their jeeps.

All exellent consumer reviews Why do the pros not like this vehicle

adrexel, 09/13/2012

I have a 2004 wrangler sport and just traded in a 2009 grand cherokee with a quadra trac 1. Living in maine I wanted a vehicle that was trail rated and could seat 5 and tow 5000lbs This liberty fit the order. My wife and I love it. I being older the crossovers do not appeal to me if I want a soft ride I would by a car. Great vehicle!

Not Recommended for Long Term Ownership

Sam, 01/29/2019
Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My 2012 Jeep Liberty has problems that should not be happening for under 60,000 miles. Bought vehicle brand new in early 2013........Some problems include; the interior dashboard pieces started popping out due to the elements, side plastics on drivers side seat cracking, ignition accculator, one power window motor regulator, power window master switch, and shocks....To make matters worse the tires wear out faster in this type of vehicle regardless of keeping up with the rotations......Not worth owning. Jeeps are only good for short term leases. Not ownership. Too many problems after the first few years.

51050