Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 236 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Great SUV
By Robert Shoult

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The high output V-8 uses a lot of fuel. The ride is stiff, but not harsh.

Got 140,000k miles out of it.
By Gypsy77

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4WD used with 66k miles. I drove it to 140k miles and just sold it in 2018. At around 100k miles it really started going down. The cloth interior was ripping out, power windows, a/c, rear wiper, radio, etc. stopped working. The radiator blew and it had a history of overheating and making clunking noises. The transmission also started slipping. I just couldn’t put anymore money into it. I did enjoy driving it, it had space for a family of 5, 4WD was great during Midwest winters. I wish it would have lasted longer because I’d still be driving it. Jeeps are cool, there’s no doubt about it. My new suv is not a Jeep, I need my vehicles to last longer after paying it off.

War Machine
By Rachel

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife just slid on black ice and took out an entire telephone pole. The telephone pole was literally split in half and was all taken down to the ground, out of the spot it was in. She had no injuries and her jeep is barely damaged. Gonna be a very cheap shop repair like 400$ max. We got the jeep for $2,300 and have had it for about 6 months. Only issue it came with was the steering pump was going out. That's already been fixed. Cheap jeep, no issues, amazing suv, and very safe. Really happy my wife got a jeep it saved her life and seem indestructible. Jeep grand Cherokee limited edition v8 4 door. Has heated seats, very comfortable and spacious. Amazing vehicle. Highly recommended.

GREAT BANG FOR THE BUCK !!
By Joseph George

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Owned my 2002 WJ for 10 years now , still runs great at 185k miles ! great engine (4.0 ) inline 6 , had to replace the starter once , rear main seal was leaking and the rear axle bearings and seals ...which are all typical for this model. It rides and drives great ! , very versatile , decent fuel economy , good looks too ! Had some weird electrical issues once , found the body grounds under the center console were a little loose ...tightened them up and all electrical demons went away .

Good jeep /gets pricey
By Angela

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Where do I begin? I owned this jeep for about 2 years. Only put about 10k on it. It currently has 92,000 on the dot. I replaced radiatier , transmission lines. Put a after market trans cooler on it. New muffler. Outer tie rods. New iac (idle air control valve) new computer. New battery and alternator. New valve cover seal. Does leak oil from rear main seal but I only put a half a quart in every three months. Not a bad leak at all. Ac is still ice cold for being 15 years old. This jeep has never left me stranded. Always broke as soon as I got home which is weird. I love this jeep in the snow. Half the time I don't even need 4wd. When I do use the 4wd it drive threw anything. Things a tank. Great ride but consumes a lot of maintenance. So I advise a machanic to own this type of jeep haha. My machanic is getting sick of it and so is my bank account. Over all a good jeep.