Used 2005 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used XJ-Series for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

2005 XJ8L Review

Jaguar lover, 12/06/2006

This is my third Jaguar and by far the best. The quality of this car is outstanding. Owning a Jag always meant you had to have a back up auto to drive when your Jag was in the shop. But, not anymore. Class, comfort, reliability and prestige you can't get from a German or Japanese mark. Four good sized adults can fit easily in this car and everyone is happy. The aluminum body, V8 and six speed transmission are light years ahead of the previous design. I love this car. If you're looking for the whole luxury package in a full sized car, check it out.

Best used car value ever

nate93460, 09/04/2014

We purchased this car 2 years ago with just over 90k on the odometer, and couldn't be happier with it. now with over 100k on it it still looks and drives like it just rolled out of the showroom. The leather seats hardly show any wear at all, there aren't any odd squeaks or rattles, everything works exactly as it should. The only thing that may need attention in the future is the headliner, as it is pulling away from it's backing in a couple small patches around the sun visors. not really noticeable unless you look for it. Fast, smooth, nimble, outrageously comfortable, and thus far, exceedingly reliable as well.

Love It

Bill, 02/17/2016
XJ8 L 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have enjoyed it for a year so far. It has been very reliable. It has surprised me on performance and fuel mileage. City about 17 and I made a trip from Atlanta to Birmingham last summer with the A/C on and got 29.3 mpg! On the trip computer B I keep up with the oil change, but it also shows MPG. On the first 5000 mile run it averaged 21.5. Not bad for a big car. It is not a slouch either. My previous car was a Chrysler 300C with the 5.7L HEMI. Look up the specs and compare, they are the same. You can feel it too. 0-60 in 6.3. Being an all aluminum car helps too. It only weighs 3750 lbs. 300 lbs lighter than the 300C. I'm on the look out for another one, but an '08 or '09 this time. The next generation up from my '05 XJ8-L has a few additional things that I would like. Like HID headlights, Bluetooth and factory satellite radio. I'll look for a Super 8, an R or Vanden Plas this time. The Supercharged version would be very nice. I hope the next one is as good as this one.

Great old Barge

Jeremy Bell, 02/20/2018
Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle at 123k mi / 15 years old. Its come along way down the Depreciation Curve - from $85k to $6.5k It rides extremely well - its a large comfortable car. The trick (for me) is finding a good long-term previous owner ! Many of these are on a one-way trip to a 'Buy Here/Pay Here' lot... There's an Arab saying : When buying a Camel, look closer at the Seller than the Beast. I've changed the brakes (pads and rotors ) as well as most of the suspension components. Although the body is all aluminum, it's still a large heavy car. OEM Parts are very inexpensive from aftermarket vendors, not from Jaguars Main Dealers.

vanden plas rah rah

mike g, 07/02/2010

The 2005 Vanden Plas XJ8 is the autobahn beater that should be considered by anyone looking to combine luxury with size and power. Jaguar's flagship matches up with the S-Class and the 700 Series very well. Less weight (aluminum) equals speed and agility you would not expect from such a large auto. The additional costs for he German cars can only leave you wondering why would you spend more to get less? Compare the three. The car will sell itself. Tally Ho

Luxury, Performance, Beauty, Value

David T., 05/18/2006

I've compared specs with small-block MBs, BMWs, Audis, VWs. The XJ VDP is the roomiest, best ride, highest hp/ton of them all and the best compromise between comfort and sport in the luxury vehicles. It's so quiet and comfortable, yet I can drive it aggressively whenever I need to or want. Rear knee room is huge 'cause the wheelbase is longer than even a Bentley! The riv-bonded aluminum frame is state-of-the-art, so my VDP weighs only about 200 lbs more than my 2000 Firebird. Imagine that! A limo that responds like a sports sedan. My wife loves this car for the comfort and big back seat. All this for much less than the others. This Jag is a very fine automobile.

ABSOLUTELY "THE BOSS"

WARREN STEINMAN, 09/05/2016
XJ8 L 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I just purchased the almost Identical (2004 XJ8) car for my fiance. Market is still soft so I stole it for $2,900. It runs and looks as good as my first one. (Hers is white.) Purchased 6 months ago with 160k now has 190k. It is smooth, comfortable, quick, agile, frugal (avg hwy 27mpg @75mph). I dropped in a new radio head unit with backup camera, nav, sirius, bluetooth etc. Now it has all the bells and whistles you can get from a newer version. Car looks like new, runs like new and the best part, including the new head unit, - $3950 on the used market. It is by far the best car I have ever owned. My Cadillac SLS was a not so close 2nd. (previous cars - 3 Mercedes, 3 Caddy's , Chrysler 300, Prius + many many more.) right now it is an excellent buyers market for one of the truly superb vehicles you could own and enjoy.

Beautiful car

charlyn, 03/24/2005

We have had only one problem with this car, a door handle. It has been replaced, but still is not completely fixed. It works.We have had trouble with the service dept. where we purchased it. That is our biggest complaint. The car is a wonderful car. I don't think it looks as classy as Jaguar used to, but it's still distinctive.

BEST VALUE in the WORLD !!!

Anthony, 07/07/2016
XJ8 L 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

SEXY + GORGEOUS + FAST + RELIBLE !!! NOTHING BETTER as far as VALUE and I have owned and driven EVERYTHING else !!! Anthony, Temecula, SoCal

Absolute BEST car in it's class

#1 Luxury Sedan , 06/24/2005

I recently bought this car after test driving a BMW 750Li, Lexus LS, and a Mercedes S500. Let me tell you, when I test drove my car (05' Vanden Plas) for the first time, it was a great feeling. The V8 is smooth yet very fast.. sounds like a cat growling when accelerating which I love! I think, if you're going to buy an XJ, you simply MUST buy the Vanden Plas. The wood and leather piping alone add SO much to the cars appearance. People do not give Jaguar enough love. This car beats out every other car in its class by far. The steering and suspension are absolutely wonderful. If feels like your floating on air. The GPS Navigation System is the easiest one I've used.

51050