2019 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2019 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

Way to fun to drive!!!
By Jerrianne Collins

2019 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 2.0 Premium 3dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have only had this car (2019) for about 2 month. I LOVE it. I love cars to begin with and had a 1999 Cougar for about 20 years that I loved. I turned it in (couldn't find a part to fix it) and got a Ford focus, manual tranny. It was good. I liked it. Had power. But the Velostar I LOVE! It is me. I am over 50 but have always loved sportier cars. The handling is great. I took it down the coast route, Hwy 101 in Oregon which has quite a few sharp turns. It did great. Smiled all the way home. I thought Hyundai's were cheap cars but I think this is better than my Ford focus. It does have a short 'back door' (if it had one) window on the drivers side so is a little hard to see out of but I don't have too much trouble seeing behind me. Maybe because I am tall. I don't think I can think of any problems. I know that I am so glad I bought this car. I think Ron Fox (another review) said it all.

2019 Turbo Ultimate was a great pick!
By Jim Rebeta

2019 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Turbo Ultimate 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I chose the Turbo Ultimate because of the extra features, Android Auto, Apple Car play, Hyundai Bluelink, etc. Believe me they are great. In addition this is a good looking and fun to drive car. The unexpected bonus was that my wife finds this more comfortable than our RAV4.

Exactly what I wanted
By Ron Fox

2019 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Turbo 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

This car gets left out of a lot of interesting comparisons for some reason. Maybe it's because Hyundai hasn't had the reputation like some of the other manufacturers, or because the third door puts it in between a sedan and a coupe. It doesn't matter, this is a really great car that I'm guessing most people won't find. I chose it over the Mazda 3 because for the same price, it had far more options, was more efficient and had way more pop on the throttle. I also felt that the interior quality was much higher particularly at the the joints and seams of the trim. The warranty was also out of this world. Actual driving usage puts this car much higher than EPA estimate MPG ratings. I routinely get 39mpg in mixed traffic on normal driving mode. Smart (eco) sees even higher efficiency numbers at the expense of acceleration. Sport mode is just a blast. I do not fully understand how to drive this car with the paddle shifters, however. This car is my commuter and provides great comfort for me (a larger guy) and enough room to comfortably fit (and access) a child seat in the back for morning school drop off. All of the doors shut with a very solid, sealing, "thunk" akin to german car manufacture and quality. The Inifinity stereo system is perfect in this car with a high degree of clarity across multiple genres of music and audio indications. Blind spot monitoring is far less spastic than other cars I've driven, maybe 10 -15' zone of interest rather than 40'. I think the thing that you're not going to see in a lot of these reviews is the fact that this car has absolute soul. When you sit in the driver seat, you feel in total control - completely connected to the car. You're in a cockpit designed to give the driver everything you need. Some of it is modern convenience. The rest of it is feel. I love the red accents, from the bottom air scoop in the front of the car to the seat trim, to the steering wheel. The leather is high quality, firm to the touch. The plastic (which gets highly criticized in reviews) on the door panels is hard and firm - it does not bend when you push it even in the broad areas. The DCT with the turbo provide instantaneous power when passing on a highway. I find myself still waiting for the downshift and still being surprised when it just happens without the delay. Android auto on the 8" touchscreen is great - you can actually split screen the thing to look at two things at once. The rear visibility is probably the worst thing about the car - on the highway it's not an issue, but backing out of my driveway, I feel like I can't see much. The backup camera does a great job of providing a broad field of view however, I'm just not used to it yet. Otherwise, I wish it had a built in garage door opener.

Love this 2.0 premium
By Philip Elliott

2019 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 2.0 Premium 3dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Ereryone is smacking down the 2.0 , put it in Sport mode ,this car rakes off , love everything about this car ,

Get the hatch while it's hot!
By Chris Holt

Coming from a couple of Ford Focus models, first a Titanium then an ST. The Veloster turbo is a step down in power, but a very well tuned suspension and superior electronics, safety features, entertainment and nav system more than make up for a few missing ponies. Don't get me wrong, the Veloster still has enough power to be fun, but the ST was a beast. Steering is great, especially in sport mode and it holds corners very well. Sound system is excellent as is the nav. Driver information abounds and lane assist is actually really good, subtle corrections that seem more like a banked road than any sort of computerized assistance.