Used 2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Sonata for Sale
Select your model:
12345...14

Pros
Cons

An amazing value

George T, 09/28/2017
GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car, not really knowing what to expect. It was four years old with 100,000 miles on it - just beyond the manufacturer's warranty. With that many miles in that short period of time, I figured it was a road car. I've put another 130,000 miles on the car in the last seven years with no major repairs needed to the vehicle. I've changed the brakes twice. I've put new shocks on it. I've put two batteries in it. Tire wear is normal; I'm on my second set. Amazing reliability for an unknown vehicle. The car is quiet on the road. The six cylinder engine still has lots of pep and doesn't strain going over the mountains in my area. Transmission shifts reliably. I only have three minor complaints. 1) Shortly after I got the car, the windshield visors began falling down - a complaint that was the only one I found in my research before buying the car. The dealer took care of these for about $250. It was too much, but what are you going to do? 2) The selector controlling air flow direction is sluggish and always has been. Sometimes it will switch from vents to feet (for heat), but it usually takes its time. 3) The antenna for the radio is sub-par. It's a windshield antenna; again, something I expect of this type of antenna.

230,000 mile road dog

guest101, 01/09/2014

I bought my Sonata in 07 with 22,000 miles (previous rental). Overall I have LOVED my car, very dependable! There have been some little issues with sensors going off along the way, but just annoyances. My car has a ton of highway time, it has been a commuter for the last five years and never let me down. The only major mechanical fix $400 alternator repair at 217,000 miles. Otherwise just brakes battery, oil, tire maintenance. I give the interior a little lower rating as the quality seems a bit too plastic and I have broken visors, cup holder, center console etc-but my car takes a beating. Interior just hasn't held up as well as I had hoped.Seats are a bit uncomfortable for long drive

Excellent in Crash

Julie, 11/08/2010

We bought our Sonata used almost 2 years ago. This past weekend, we were hit from behind, with the other person going around 70 mph. My Sonata flipped end over end, landing on the top. My daughter I both got out alive, and I believe my Sonata is the reason for this. It was a very sturdy car, and I don't think we would have fared as well in another car its size.

Hyundai Changed My Whole Opinion On Their Cars

Jay C, 03/27/2016
GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Very surprised with this vehicle. I was sketchy before I got this car because of Hyundai's previous reputation, but after driving it and owning it for a few months, I am very impressed. I want to start off with my absolute favorite thing about this car - it rides so incredibly smooth, and the road noise is minimal inside of the cabin. Seriously, the smoothness of the ride is right up there with GM's more luxurious brands (Buick, Cadillac). The acceleration is impressive (I have the 3.3L V6), and the breaking is great. Another thing I'd like to note is how great the overall visibility this vehicle provides. As for the interior, the layout of the radio, AC controls, and the car controls (turn signals, wipers, etc.) is pretty simple and easy to learn relatively quick. However, while I do enjoy the simplicity of the layout, I have to say I don't care for how basic this car is. I know it isn't the LX, but still, this car seriously lacks some features that other cars in its class (Accord and Camry) have. The backseat provides decent leg room and is somewhat roomy for the passengers. This car is 10 years old now, and I'm still impressed with the driving characteristics of this vehicle, and my opinion of Hyundai has absolutely changed.

Great car and great warranty!!!

dwhitie, 01/08/2012

I have owned my Hyundai Sonata for 4 years. It has been a great car ever since. The only issue I had was the visor broke, but they replaced it under warranty no questions asked. I love the way it drives and it's reliability. I would definately recommend it. I currently have 98,000 miles on it and trust it will go many more miles.

Been a Great car!!

Djsasha211, 02/22/2018
GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Make sure the timing chain tensioners either have been repaired or aren't making noise, unfortunately Hyundai didn't recall and it's a costly repair. Beside`s that it's been a great car I hate having to sell it.

Oh Hyundai...You've come a long way

asb81689, 03/20/2011

This is my second Sonata, my first one was a 04. I have a LX with leather, and I must say, what an excellent car.. I'm beyond happy I bought his over a Accord. It's been a problem free car and rides like it's on clouds. My friends are amazed at the ride quality, how smooth and quite the 3.3 V6 is. It's not the fastest sedan out there, but it gets the job done. I really do like the styling of each Sonata generation, starting from 2002 and up. My Sonata is almost at 70K miles, and feels new. A teenager texting on his phone rear ended me, he had to be going 15-20mph, his air bags deployed, yet mine didn't (Thank god), and the best part is, there wasn't a dent on my bumper! Just a paint chip

Outstanding value, power and handling

aseries, 03/23/2013

Our 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX has 68,000 miles. My wife used it for daily commuting for 5 years with an occasional road trip. We are both retired now and it is mostly used for road trips around Minnesota and one or two long trips to Arizona and other vacation spots. It is by far the best family car I have owned. I have it regularly serviced at our local Hyundai dealer and I have experienced only one minor issue with rear brakes. Otherwise...zero problems. It is a joy to drive on the highway or twisty back roads. I am on my second set of tires and brakes. This week I will replace the original battery. We fully intend to keep this car forever, God willing.

Very Dissapointed! Wanted a Reliable Beautiful car

Linda Goodwin, 12/31/2015
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Fell in love with my 2006 Sonata. Beautiful metal-flake Cherry Coke color with beige interior and wood trim on dash. Looks very elegant. To date both front doors are peeling like crazy for NO reason....and any black paint ie: windshield wipers, posts between windows has faded dreadfully... looks terrible! Have had several issues with the check engine light coming on. Have replaced modules, timing chain, tensioners, you name it. This car has been driven less than any vehicle I have owned and has been the worse for wear. When new you couldn't hear the car idle at all and now it just knocks all the time. Dealer is of little help..even told me all the re-call work had been done when I knew it had not. Will not purchase another Hyundai....

Must have family sedan

tommyc, 11/19/2006

My family has always bought Honda/Acura for the last 10 years. This year the Hyundai Sonata earned my money. Yes, Accord and Camry are great cars but when you compare the price and option, the new Sonata wins hands down. Before I buy, I drove all 3 models and here is my conclusion. Performance on all 3 models 2.4L are comparable, not much more or less of each other. Options are great on all, however the Sonata has ESC = Electronic Stability Control standard on all model. Comparing price, options and warranty, the Sonata wins the final round. This car broke the Honda buying history in my family. Based on the performance and options, this car is underpriced when compared to the Camry and Honda. Similar performance and options but better price and warranty = YOU CAN'T LOSE.

10 years on....

chris, 10/27/2015
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my black Sonata brand new on March 13, 2006. It had just came off the truck and had all the plastic on the outside and inside. They hadn't even checked the car in yet. I drove the V6, but decided on the 4cyl and I have NEVER regretted that still after 10 years. I have had no problems and this is my 3rd Hyundai. 2 previous were Elantras(99, & 04), which were trouble free as well. I still love driving my car and nothing has ceased to work and it still like new even at 10 years old. I only have 62,000 miles on it. My family has a variety of makes of cars (Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Nissan) and I still love getting back into my car as the quality is just as good as the others and mine is older than any of theirs. It shows how Hyundai just got it right with the 06 Sonata at the time. I feel the newer ones may be better in areas where mine was "lacking", but there is something about the newer ones that I just don't like. Im not sure if there are way more plastics than softer material on the inside or what. Gas mileage is fantastic as well. It never changes and I get pretty much the same each trip. The best I got was a 10 hr round trip to OC, MD and back at 600 miles to a tank of gas. Yes, the gas light was on, but I still had 30 miles to empty reading on the computer. How can you beat that.....I have never had really any issues with any of the Hyundai's that I have had, yet people still think these cars are not that great...If you maintain them and service them they will last just as long as any other...Interesting that people are starting to realize that Hyundais are competitive and really great cars...Something I new about the company for 16 years now since I've had my 99 Elantra.

a car for all reasons

m. Fitzgerald, 06/12/2016
GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

great ride;roomy;road warrior;low road noise.

Amazing Car

dog32, 04/25/2011

This car is amazing, we bought it brand new and I'm glad I bought it. This car has never let me down, the winters are tough around here and the car can handle it better than any other car we've ever owned, The backseat cupholder did break and the pouch in the rear seat ripped, but other than that it's in pretty good conditon for being a four year old car, not even any rust! I would so buy it again, it,s AWESOME!

Great Value, Great Car, Well Kept Secret

2006sonata, 02/23/2013

We bought our Sonata new in Pittsburgh. It's been a really fantastic vehicle. In 2006 they changed the body style, and it still looks fresh. We got the V6, and this car will really move. Mechanically we've had no issues, but we haven't hit the 60K mile mark yet. If you need a good second car, or a first car for a new driver, you won't regret buying one of these. Been fantastic. (I only hope it can go as long as my 2001 Jeep Cherokee - truly an awesome SUV if ever there were one).

Six Years and Still Happy Customer

danbro1, 03/21/2013

Overall, I am VERY pleased with my 2006 Sonata LX. I purchased it new in 2006 and have had two minor warranty repairs, a power window malfunction and an ignition key issue. I change the oil and rotate the tires every 4M miles. I have about 55M miles on the car.

13 years on the road, still like new!!!

Amkor, 10/12/2015
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new 13 years ago, when Hyundai still had a shady reputation... But I fell in love with the design, and took a chance.... This model of the Sonata was the FIRST real quality car coming from Hyundai, and it sure turned things around for that company... Though I have only 65k on the odometer now (I know couple friends with over 150k, still love their Sonata), the car rides like new, smooth, quiet, adequately powerful (even with a 4-cyl engine), stable, reliable, NO PROBLEM. We have owned Accords as well, and I must admit there isn't much difference in built quality (but huge difference in price, at least when I bought this car).... Bottom line: this is a good car.

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX V6 FWD Plush Ride not Firm

mogulprinceton, 09/25/2012

Lets make something clear the 2006-2010 Hyundai Sonata's are not sports cars, its more of a luxury car. It has a very smooth plush ride but the suspension is the worst. It's not a good car to cut corners fast in at all. A lot of body roll. It seems as if when taking off from a red light to a green light at full throttle the front wheels can't really handle the power the engine is giving off so it makes the wheels burn rubber on the pavement which I hate. The ESC kicks in very quick when on wet or slippy roads. I was driving and turned a left at a 15 degree angle at 20mph and the ESC did its job even though I didnt need it to save me at that time. It should have daytime running lights.

love this car

ED, 09/18/2015
GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

brought this car new in 2006 have been one of the greatest , havent had no major problems with it an have replace nothing but brakes, bulbs , so far got 342,000 miles on it now, still run like a champ love this car.

Perfect no, but better than expected

Advancing, 04/21/2010

I like this car. It has been very dependable (65K no problems at all) and does everything I want it to do. V6 is better than expected, smooth, quiet and peppy. Not a screamer but I didn't pay for a race car. One minor complaint is the tranny hesitates when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear just slightly. I was told this is normal, I don't buy it but it hasn't proved to be a problem. Interior is functional and initial critiques questioned the durability of the cloth seats, well they were wrong, good stuff. I bought this car to be functional and dependable, and it has been rock solid. Yea the front end can float a little but it was not a BMW. Bought with 14K for $13.5K. Best car for $.

Not your average Hyundai

SG, 05/14/2005

Many people have a stereotype of Hyundai cars for decades when it comes down to its built quailty or reliabity. Hyundai has been working hard and improved their product quality dramatically since late 90's. They say the new Sonata is a conerstone of their company's new image and the future. I was very impressed by its design when I saw the car in the showroom. It had Japanese sharp looking and European- like elegance at the same time. I was very impressed again by its Toyota and Honda like built quality when I test drove the car. Yet, class leading powerful V6 3.3L engine was more than surprising. Now manufacturing in New State-of-the-Art plant in Alabama, Hyundai is really moving forward.

BANG for the BUCK

Peter Ginakos, 09/05/2005

I have owned and driven many diferent European and American makes, this is my first asian purhace(although this car is made in the states),the 2006 Sonata Clearly is the BANG for the Buck in its Category.

You should test drive this car!

Pete Roddy, 06/08/2006

My wife and I love this car. We have only had it for a short time but so far it's been great. For a mid size car it is very smooth and quiet. The V6 engine is very strong and is a delight to drive around town and on the open highway. We drove the new car to San Antonio,Texas from Corpus Christi about 160 miles on our first road trip. I didn't drive fast... about 65 and we got 32 miles per gal. The next day on the way back home we drove against a very strong head wind and the mpg fell to 28. I would like to have more but you can't always have your cake and eat it too. If you want more miles per gal. go for the 4 cyl. But don't expect the same power as the V6.

Happy after a year

Mars, 09/29/2006

I have owned my Sonata for almost a year now. I have nothing but praise for this vehicle. We traded in our Ford Explorer and have never looked back. My parents own a Honda Accord and were jealous of the Sonata when the rode in it. They paid more than I did for their 4 cylinder Honda with less features. The only problem we had with our car was a loose driver side mirror. When you take your car into the dealer for maintenance, don't forget to ask them to enable the in motion door autolocking feature which for some reason is disabled when you purchase a Sonata.

Classy Efficient Car

Melinda Lane, 10/31/2006

I love this car! You get all the extras for thousands less than Toyota or Honda.The heated leather seats & climate control are very nice. I sold a Jeep Grand Laredo for the Sonata and it was the best decission I ever made. Drives like a dream and gets 24mph locally and averages 31mph on the highway. It has more room than the Honda or Camry as well. This car is definetely a keeper

LOVE THIS CAR!!!

Blaine, 10/09/2015
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 3 years ago with 60,000 miles on it. I now have 148,000 and still runs great. Front seats can be uncomfortable at times. Powerful V6 and fun to drive. Replaced the fuel pump at 127,000 miles, other than that, just brakes, rotors, tune up, oil change ect....got a aftermarket radio so I could have us plug in and aux cord plug in. Get about 22mpg city and 26mpg highway.

Great First Car

Sam, 07/29/2017
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for two years now and have had no issues with it. It has a sporty appearance that hides the age of the car well. It fits in great with the newer cars on the road. Acceleration is great (most of the time) and has a smooth ride overall. There is plenty of leg room for drivers and passengers making long drives comfortable. It has 155,000 miles and I'm sure it will run strong for a while longer. When I buy a new car, the only reason would be to have more technology (back up camera, Apple CarPlay, push button start, etc.) that cars from the 2000's didn't have. The base sound system is actually very good and has a lot of bass which is important to me. It sounds better than most newer cars sound systems. If I only drive on the highway, I can get 29 mpg, but mixed driving yields around 24. If you're looking for a great car that won't cost a lot to buy or maintain, this is the car for you. Update- It’s been nearly two years since I sold this car now. I sold it for something newer with less miles. It was very hard for me to let the car go, but I know the person I sold it to and they are still loving the car as well. They have had no problems with it either. This car is a great and reliable one to have!

Could have kept forever

H. S. Fullerton, 02/05/2018
GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was the best car I had ever owned to that time (I have owned cars for 60+ years). It was fairly priced. required almost no repairs in 190,000 miles, and was a pleasure to drive, especially on the open highway. So good I replaced it , after 12 years of ownership, with a newer Sonata, which has the great qualities of the old ones, plus is more up-to-date.

Best Car I ever owned (Ten Year Original Owner)

mikeinmemphis, 12/29/2015
GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car off the show room floor in North Los Angeles and drove it home 130 miles south to San Diego. I t was a great trip. New Car, New Car smell and acceleration galore. Car is fast. I moved to the mid south a year later and have been there ever since. Car is great in snow and ice. Car has 175K miles and is still on original spark plugs. Still on original transmission fluid and original radiator fluid. I get an oil change religiously every 3000 miles (I think thats the secret to long life). Car has had no major trouble. I tow with it all the time. (5x8 utility trailer 1000 lbs not a problem). Minor problems include: Sun Visor, brake pedal switch, rear 3rd brake lamp, replace headlamps 3 times, drivers window when wet and rear brake lamps bulbs. I have driven the car at 130 miles an hour in the Southern California desert just to see if cruise control works at over 100 mph (it does). Best Feature: Reliability. I would buy another but they don't offer that V-6 in a sonata, It is available in the Santa Fe and it now produces almost 300 hp. I like this brand and will stick with it. They need to hurry up and make the Santa Cruz cause I need a new vehicle...10 years time for a change. And yes I will keep the old sonota as a second car until she dies.

Value for A to B drivers

jake013, 05/16/2014

If you're looking for a car to get you from point A to point B that's reliable, cheap to own and decent looking, you've found the right car. If you're looking for handling, performance or fun, go somewhere else. Safe, reliable and cheap! Over 250,000km's and still going strong. No rust, heck, the car still looks new. It's never even been rustproofed and I live in Canada.

Love it and Hate it

rrankin90, 04/23/2015
LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car since 2011. It only had 7,000 miles when I purchased it. Obviously Grandma Moses owned it first! I love the ride, drive, and comfort of seats for rides lasting less than four hours. Anything over that and my back begins to hurt. The only thing I can actually say that I HATE about the car is the constant need to replace light bulbs. From headlight bulbs, break lights, and the bulbs over the license plate. Ugh!!! Many are easy to change and I've made my own way of changing them. Others... Not so much. Almost two hours to change the high mount bulb in the back window. Other than that I love it and will definitely buy another!!!

Love our Sonata!

2hyundaiowners, 08/10/2012

We bought it in 2007 w/ 20K miles-it now has 100,000 miles and looks & runs great. Only had a couple of maintenance recalls & broken sun-visor covered under warranty. After warranty expired, one sensor went out, it was covered by our extended warranty. We have only replaced tires, oil, battery & brakes-NO OTHER MAINTENANCE! My husband commutes 75 miles daily & averages 26mpg on highway, 21 in town. It has great acceleration needed for freeway. We got a great car with many upscale features for a reasonable price. Liked this so much, we purchased a 2008 Hyundai Azera for the family car. We are passing this down to our daughter; it has great safety ratings & we trust it for her and her baby.

Sonata is awesome!

Sonata Guy, 07/23/2010

I bought my 06 GLS v6 used with 20k, I now have 103k on it. Stock rotors will warp, replace them with EBC rotors and Akebono pads HUGE improvement over OEM. I haven't had any problems, I've changed all fluids out. Only let down is fuel mileage, city driving not so good, highway driving has dropped too, avg is around 23-25, on the highway I can get around 26-30 depending on speed. If you do all city with V6 you will be in teens. For those griping about replacing strut mount bushing at 130k, LOL please thats a lot of miles stop whining. I wish I would have gone with the 4 cylinder seems fuel mileage is better and more consistent.

Best Car Yet I Have Ever Owned.

Lynette Hart, 06/27/2005

I Have owned many cars before but when i tried this car out on a test car and found that the power was outstanding cornering was exeptional and comfort was past comparison to anything I have owned before. I was sold before I exited the freeway, I will buy another sonata again without a doubt. Its about time a good car was made and to high priced.

No Brainer

Jack, 12/31/2005

This car was among the most fun to drive of the mid-sized sedans. When the safety features, warranty and value are considered this was the product for us.

Had to buy one!!!!

manofsteel2k6, 05/22/2005

I traded in my 02' Sonata last night for an 06'. This car is fantastic. It is soo quiet you cant hear the car running with the windows up at a stop sign. The exterior is a bit plain, but the shape of the car is very nice. There is soo much power and torque its almost hard not to chirp tires on start ups. The interior is the best Ive seen, and I mean for any make. Ours is a LX and if not for the Hyundai symbol on the steering wheel, you would swear you were in a Lexus. Great job Hyundai. I hope the reliabilty is as good as my 02'. If it is, this may well be the new midsize leader in the US.

Sonata Manual review

Ksven, 03/03/2006

I've had the manual Sonata for six months now and have put 5000 miles on it both city and highway. It is a great deal for what it has to offer, especially in terms of security, warranty and features. Quiet ride on the highway, a lot of space. But! It has no fun factor at all (I guess I was hoping I would find the fun in it, but never did), and the suspension is rather soft. I am not sure about build quality since a number of rattles have been driving me nuts. Stereo system is so-so as well and gas mileage has been disappointing, although I am a very careful driver.

My 2nd Sonata

david, 10/17/2006

I've only had this car 13 months and already put 31,000 miles on it. Except for oil changes the car has never been in for service. Had a 2002 Sonata that I put 97,000 miles on. No troubles with it either. This time I got the 4 cylinder and I have no problems breaking the speed limit. Gas mileage is better then my V-6 2002 too! Lots of room and a comfortable ride. Huge trunk.

love my Sonata

ksdriver, 10/26/2006

After shopping all of the competition, I settled on the Sonata. It offered hands down the best value for the money. I have lived with it long enough to rate it. After 6 months and 8000 miles it is quiet and comfortable. It has all the power you need. The poor gas mileage claims are bogus. I consistently get around 24 MPG in town and 29 MPG on the highway.

Want to love it but breaking my bank

Azeem, 10/25/2018
GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Great bargain to buy used for the options it has.But the mechanical problems are just one after another. Brakes, rotors, calipers, control arm bushing, valve cover gasket leak, door lock actuators, sunvisors plus the alignment and air bag light.Problems my older GM car has not had.Spent way too much money on it although when it drives fine it's a very likable car specially with the peppy v6 and steptronic transmission and for me it looks classy too.

So far sooo good.

geekfreak32, 01/04/2013

Running on 76k miles now. All I did was oil change, battery change, tire change, filter change and belt change. Six years of owning this car ever since it was bought new, maintenance was minimal. I had a Mitsubishi 3000gt before, gave me all sorts of engine and transmission problems. I'm sticking with Hyundai. Call it luck or whatever it is, my car runs like a champ. Forgot to mention, when I was on the L.I.E(495) coming from Long Island to Queens, a Stony Brook student hit the rear of my car with his Saab. My bumper only had a minor paint chip while his entire front bumper and hood was crushed in. The impact was enough to tilt my head. Unfazed.

Just about perfect!

craiggb, 11/28/2006

It has been a year now since we bought this car - our first Hyundai product - and I must say that after having owned new Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans plus many other brands, none of them have been flawless like this Sonata. Power is excellent (and on regular fuel too, fer crying out loud), very quiet to drive, decent fuel economy, especially considering the size of the car - wow. I still like the looks and the V6 engine is great. The stereo was a bit tinny at first but I guess the speakers needed to break in because it sounds excellent now. Service has been oil/filter changes and that is all. Nice work Hyundai!

Good value for the money

Stekicar, 12/27/2006

For a $16,266.62 OTD price, no-one could come even near this car. Just got 7500 miles on it. Excellent ride. Great MPG for the size of the car. Average 27MPG, worst 23MPG-city (driven by my wife :) ), BEST - 30MPG-freeway (average 65MPH). Just came home from a vacation. On 75MPH (average) had 28MPG. Big trunk, was able to fit all skies except mine + the luggage for family of 4. Mine skies ended up in between the seats. Roomy interior. Flimsy parking brake handle. Soft plastic on the back, bent under pressure. Kick-down very slow, there is some delay. NON fold-a-side rear view mirrors. Driver seat not so supportive. Doesn't have an opening on the rear seats for placing skies in the trunk.

Two engines since coming off the showroom floor in

Jeff, 08/06/2015
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

All I can say is that this car had an electrical system right off the showroom floor. It has also had two engines. The first failed at less than 100,000 and the last one failed at 34,700. Support from the dealer was ok but Hyundai Motors showed nothing but contempt for us and treated us like dirt. Will never ever purchase any other Hyundai product again period. Please do yourself a favor and ask lots of questions and also talk to as many owners and research any car you purchase from these people before hand. The warranty sounds good but its a scam. They Hyundai Motors staff are cotemptable disrespectful trolls.

Very reliable, annoying however...

Tommy, 03/18/2010

Put 100,000 miles on it. Haven't had ANY mechanical problems, even after not changing the oil for up to 8-9000 miles at a time. Performed regular maintenance (brake pads, oil, filters, etc) and has never broke down once. The center console is terrible!!!! Too much to list here about it, but for instance.. The cup holders... well is really just one big cup holder, and if you have only one drink in there, it will definitely slide and spill into the gear selector. It is now hard to shift gears from the amount of times this has happened. Grey interior is now brown from dirt, even though I keep it clean. Headlights are impossible to replace by yourself without daylight and lots of patience.

2006 Sonata GLS 6 cyl automatic

2006 Hyundai Sonata , 08/23/2010

Turned 76K miles and pleased overall. Excellent value for the quality. Floor shift indicator lamp went out after warranty expired. Have not bothered to have repaired. Vehicle came with free oil change for life every 3500 miles. However, when you add the extra charges associated there was little savings. Does not perform well in snow.

Almost perfect, but...

Bobundai, 11/13/2006

I really like the car - two beefs: it doesn't get the fuel mileage Hyundai advertises and there's a winter problem with the steel wheels. I get about 28 mpg (Canadian - bigger gallons) and Hyundai says I should get 45. It replaces an 02 Accord (4 cyl. 5 spd.) that got 34 mpg. The steel wheels pack with snow (when the car is sitting and the snow drifts in. The snow can't escape and the wheels get horribly out of balance. I carry a special skinny stick with me to unblock the wheels, but it's a design issue that Hyundai needs to address.

Don't trust Hyundai Warranty

kd_singh, 05/25/2011

Despite all the claims by Hyundai on having a great warranty..the Hyundai commitment to service is not trust worthy.. The general guideline to the dealership is avoid accepting the faults in the car..till the warranty runs out..Once its run out they start pointing out faults that you have always been asking them to repair... simply the Hyundai approach is to avoid acceptance of any fault in the cars..temporary fix the problem when customer insists or adamant. Buy it if you just want to keep it for 60, 000 miles..after that it is your risk..no matter how well you kept your car..it will haunt you! whatever was fixed once will break again!

First car I got to drive: loved it!

Jessica, 11/24/2015
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is dependable. Our sonata is 10 years old and has seen its days, but still runs with a bit of noise and other issues. Nothing too major but there's so many issues that we are now buying a new vehicle. I will say this is hard to park because I took my driving test in it and always came close to the cones. If you know the car though parking is fine! I got to know my dads car. lol

My 1996 Escort is Better

mrebate, 04/21/2015
GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This 2006 Shoddyota, aka Sonata, was acquired in 2007 with 14,000 miles. PROBLEMS before 30,000 miles: $1,200 engine repair to replace shoddy timing chain tensioners. Poor quality engine component should have been recall but Hyundai shafted owners by cutting compensation to dealers for doing the repair under warranty, which was essentially negating their much touted warranty. Defective sun visors. More orange peel than my Escort. Escort also has spring loaded side view mirrors unlike Shoddyota. Cruise control stopped working. Glove box door had to be shimmed to prevent rattle. Wiper blades had to be downsized to prevent hopping. Poor city mileage. Hyundai can't even design a cup holder !!

Mix bag

Sinai, 05/29/2016
LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car almost three years ago.First owner was an old guy, so I think he didn't drive it too harsh. during past three years I had to change the whole Starter package, whole AC compressor and accessories, front struts, windshield wipers water pump ( its broken again) and replaced the battery twice. CD player may work only occasionally and can not read half of the tracks for no good reason. I changed the front shock absorbers, and it just got a little better for a while,, its just driving me crazy that how noisy and uncomfortable the car is over small bumps. I took care of the car really good and still its not reliable. when I bought the car it had 93000 miles on it and now its ~ 117000. thats stupid,,, I won't ever but any Hyundai products and will not recommend it to anybody.

12345...14