2017 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Blown away
By Unhappy camper

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Take it out on the interstate and run it at highway speeds, because the wind noise it HORRIBLE!!!! I commute for work and seriously get stressed out by the noise. Sounds as if you are in a really bad wind storm all of the time. I have taken it back to the dealer and they say it's the design of the car! I love the way it looks and handles but if I had it to do over probably would shop for something else because of this.

What a difference 30 years makes
By singledad

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

In 1986 Hyundai introduced the Excel. It was cheap. It came with automatic transmission, air conditioning and a radio. Basic transportation for $5k. They were made in Korea and I had to wait weeks to get one. What a piece of junk. That car almost put an end to Hyundai in the US. We take for granted reliable cars today but Hyundai was a junk car and that stigma lasts to this day. No more. First my personal opinion. I don't like Korean cars. They are disposable transportation appliances. As they age they become unreliable. So my daughter wants a new car. After learning on a beater. So we shop. I advised her that this is the kind of car you lease. It's a transportation appliance. So she leases this one and I have to say it's a nice car. Roomy and good on gas. Power everything. Quiet ride and engine. The radio connects to her iphone easily and it sounds good. It includes oil changes and washes too, A good deal. Now time will tell if it holds up to a 20 year old's hard driving.

Awesome compact
By Steve franklin

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

VERY NICE CAR! Younger people don't know that in the 70s 80s that small cars had no options to speak of .A/C was a huge option. No power windows ,door locks ,cruise control etc.... My first new car was a1979 Toyota Celica. Those were great cars and sold like hotcakes! Little 22 r 4 cyl 5 speed stick and dealer added Ac. Hp rating 91!! Oh and Manuel steering. Loved it! Drove it everywhere including 3 trips from so cal to the east coast. Up mountain roads, no problem fast forward to 2016 and people bemoan a compact with only 147 Hp. Really? And all the options any one could want. And reiewers complain it has a little wind noise,some road noise. They do know this is a moving car right?. And some say it rides ok at 55 .please it drives just fine at 80 85 mph all day long! It sure does on my trips to Vegas and back! In this owners opinion, it is an awesome well equipped comfortable competent car, an economy car that's light years ahead of those that came before them. Not one thing that man ever built is perfect. Just buy it. Enjoy it take care of it.and it should serve you well for many many years.

Doesn't feel or look anything like old compacts
By Steve W

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

First thing is the SE trim is amazingly well equipped inside if you add the tech package. This is the best infotainment I have seen in an economy car or really any luxury car that was 2013 or prior. Large prominent full color display with seemless Pandora integration using Bluetooth or Android auto. Full phone navigation on the display is great as well even if potentially buggy depending on the phone. Cloth seats in 2017 models have come a long way even in the last few years. Usually cloth looks cheap and a little out of place. In this case the cloth looks durable and we'll suited to the clean new look of the car. The patterns are taste full and sharp while the added leather center console and wheel on the upgraded SE make the overall interior feel rich for such a budget car. The base sound system is also surprisingly punchy. My wife's 2013 sonata standard system doesn't have nearly as much body or as clear highs. The sound may not touch a premium set of speakers, but having turned down the limited trim with its upgradable speakers I have to say I am plenty happy with the base system. It seems like they must be pushing more wattage than older base head units because it gets loud enough to make your ears ring with only minor distortion. It reminds me of the difference of adding aftermarket speakers and a custom head unit without an amplifier. So better than expected. This car drives a lot more like my 2013 sonata with better electronic steering, than what I used to consider a compact car. I really happen to love the new feel of their steering and also the very quite ride compared to older models. I feel like the car has plenty of power especially in sport mode. I have no doubt a civic especially a si would destroy it but my car only cost 18k after tax and tag and both base packages with the base trim. Honda doesn't offer any breaks to compete with that price. Though I will say the car can cruise at 80 to 90 and still feel smooth and ready to go. Sport mode gives you passing power enough to feel confident in normal city driving so you are not a punching bag. The only time I would want more passing power would be to drive like a jerk. The car also feels very solid on high speed banks. Overall this is the most refined budget compact car I have ever driven. I also find the new civic extremely appealing but the price on the hyundai is infinitely better with all their incentives.

The Small Car of the Future
By Don

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Originally I was looking at A Toyota Prius, because of the mileage. However they were out of my price range. I started looking at the Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Toyota Carrolla, and Nissan Sentra (No KIA's, don't like their styling). Other Brand cars left out due to mileage ratings.. After looking, and driving these cars, I settled on A 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited for its styling, mileage ratings, smooth ride, and good interior setup. The car has a leather interior which is very comfortable. The setup of the interior is very nice, with all the controls within easy reach.
The second day we had the car, we headed out on a small trip (265 miles round trip). The ride was smooth, except my wife said the front passenger seat had too much vibration to it (I will have this looked at by the Dealership). I felt very comfortable during the ride to and from our destination. The mileage was great. I averaged 44.5 MPG going to our destination, and then with driving around the Wildlife refuge (start and stop many times), we ended up for the whole trip with a combined mileage average of 42.3 MPG. I have repeated these numbers time after time going to and from work (30 miles each way. I travel about 24 miles on the freeway, and 6 miles in city.
They had a great price, and the dealership was willing to come down substantially on the price. I found this very good, since their main concentration was selling their prior years stock of 2016’s. The experience with the salesman was great (His name is Woody – Streetsboro, Ohio). I would definitely buy a car from him again.
I will end this by saying I look forward to getting in this car and driving to work every day.