Skip to main content

Used Elantra for Sale
Select your model:
12345...28

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

151,000 miles. Still pleased with car.

Bradley Wood, 02/05/2016
updated 08/18/2021
2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've seen that some people have gotten lemons, but most buyers are satisfied. I drive over 90 miles a day very aggressively. Appreciate the gas mileage rebate, but the way I drive I wouldn't ever expect anything near 40 mpg.. The interior is noisy and lacks a cushion-like feel, but the sound system with nav. is great. At 70 thousand I needed new tires, wipers and brakes. I exceeded recommendations and had to buy rotors, but that was my fault. I change the oil about every 4500 miles because all my miles are on the highway. No mechanical issues that I can fairly complain about. Had the dealer replace the serpentine belt at 75 thousand just to be safe. Update- 96,000 miles. I did as recommended and allowed Hyundai dealer service dept. to change engine coolant and transmission fluid at 85,000 miles. Got slammed with a bill for 550 bucks! Feel like that was excessive. Still, no repairs have been required - not even a bad light bulb. Update- 104,000 miles. Had a taillight bulb burn out. Had brake pads checked for wear. I don't want to buy rotors again, like I did at 70,000 due to my neglect. Pads are still good. Had to get all the tire pressure sensors replaced - two recently. These are fifty bucks apiece plus labor. I don't appreciate having to spend so much for what I think is unnecessary technology. I can tell by looking if a tire is soft. I think this is a widespread inconvenience not unique to this make and model car. I will need new tires again, in the next 5 or 10 thousand miles. Update: 134,000 miles. Have had to replace battery, another brake rotor and all brake pads. One ignition coil pack. A bunch of light bulbs and long piece of brake line. The ice melt chemical the state puts on the roads in the winter rotted out the brake rotors and the brake line. I was able to replace most of these items myself, so the expense wasn't too bad. Still running great! Update: 144,000 plus a few more. Bought new tires right after last review. Having trouble connecting cell phone. My phone is getting old, so maybe a software update disabled my connection. Will check the web about this. No other difficulties at this time. Update: 151,000 miles - Phone connection works most of the time, now. Otherwise, car as a whole working great. Two oil changes performed since 144 thousand.

4.75 out of 5 stars

No buyers remorse!!

topoerman, 09/12/2011
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We put our first 1000 miles on our 2012 Elantra GLS after downsizing from a 2007 Sonata LTD. No regrets yet. The interior space is comparable to the Sonata giving me plenty of leg and head room for my 6'2" frame. Back seat space comfortably accommodates 2 adults. The new 148 hp 4 cylinder has plenty of pop and the 6 speed transmission operates smoothly. The eye-catching design is a real head turner. We did get the preferred package which adds a few extras. After reading a few reviews, I was concerned about the gas mileage being overstated, but we recently got over 41 mpg on a road trip and average about 36-38 on our first 3 tanks of gas. This is according to the on board avg indicator.

1.75 out of 5 stars

Can NOT reccomend this car

veevolt, 03/20/2013
2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I hope a ton of people read Edmunds reviews and will not be lured in by Hynundais pleasing designs and high option content. I see there are others here that are dissapointed! I had TWO 2012 Elantras, the first one bought back due a intermitent "no start" problem that the dealership cound not fix. We had car #1 for about 3 months. Car #2 has suffered from several stall outs, this happens in the City, or on the Highway. My bluetooth has never worked right, cruise control worked when it wanted to, had a clunk in the front suspension from 8k miles, the engine developed a nasty ticking sound at idle, and of course the fuel mileage, I've seen best 28 mpg while drafting a semi in Montana. avg is 25

Quality dropping

Thomas Klose, 03/27/2017
updated 09/27/2017
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have had 5 Hyundai's in my family in the past 10 years. All experienced issues with rusting underside, and around all the brakes. The most recent 2012 Elantra went in with a value tap, and they replaced the engine. All the other models are known to have engine issues, but they were in denial on this model. They also pointed out the accelerated rust on the undercarriage. Speaking to other Hyundai/Kia owners, there is an obvious pattern where some cars had this rust issue, others did not. My local mechanic said the underside looked like a car that is frequently parked over the grass, but this car was always on pavement. There is something wrong with their undercoating or lack of in manufacturing. The dealer wanted to charge to fix it. When we got the car back, with the new engine....we immediately traded it in for another new car...not a Hyundai this time. Update 9/2017. Many of our friends with Hyundai's says dealerships trying to blame owners for the excessive rust issues on the undercarriage. Said its our fault when its likely lack of rustproofing or bad/cheap metal used in body. FYI: Car always parked on pavement. Also, everyone I know also had the engine replaced. They traded cars in for other brands.

Wont buy a Huyndai again

Lisa C, 07/26/2018
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My biggest issue is that periodically my car won't start because the gear gets stuck in park. I've called a tow truck several times until I was finally able to get the manual gear button pressed and get it out of gear. Sometimes pressing it doesn't always work and it takes awhile to get it to work, and I've been stuck for a while before getting my car started again. This is extremely frustrating, and has never happened with any other brand of car I've owned, ridiculous. Also, you have to constantly correct the steering wheel when driving on the highway - I've had the car aligned several times, and this never gets any better, fine in the city, but at faster speeds its very annoying. Then, the windows are very narrow, which makes seeing out around you more difficult. The steering wheel is placed right in front of the air vents, so most of the air gets blocked and doesn't reach the driver, extremely frustrating, because I have to move my head to the left of the right to get any air on my face. For the price which was new when I bought the car in 2012, their were other brands that I could've chosen but instead tried a Hyundai Elantra, and I wish I had gotten a different brand. For what I paid which was comparable to other mid range cars, I feel these problems are not acceptable. I therefore am leery about any other Hyundais in the future after my current Elantra, and wouldn't buy this brand again because of my current experience. For the price, there are better cars in the same price range.

12345...28