Used 2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Best use of money!
By Surajit Sen

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 6 speed manual Elantra in Sept 2011 (2012 model). I have had zero problems in Buffalo. The big problem I had was the car was too light and the original tires were not good for Buffalo snow. So all summer I use good radials and for 8 months I use snows, and that makes for a perfect drive. The car is mostly city driven, now it's at 55k miles. It does about 2 long drives per year, typically between 1000 and 1500 miles each. It is dealer maintained. I had to do the coolant flush and the brake fluid replacement at 55000 or so, about $500 overall (very steep). I have replaced by 4 brakes after 6 years. I still use the original battery. Car is noiseless, rides very well. City mileage on radials is about 27 mpg, on highway is about 36-37 mpg. City miledage on snows is about 24-26 mpg, on highway is about 32-34 mpg. This car has been very reliable so far. I had to replace a tail light this year, $12.

Love it
By Nate

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Has been a very economical and reliable and practical car as well as fun to drive.

Wont buy a Huyndai again
By Lisa C

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My biggest issue is that periodically my car won't start because the gear gets stuck in park. I've called a tow truck several times until I was finally able to get the manual gear button pressed and get it out of gear. Sometimes pressing it doesn't always work and it takes awhile to get it to work, and I've been stuck for a while before getting my car started again. This is extremely frustrating, and has never happened with any other brand of car I've owned, ridiculous. Also, you have to constantly correct the steering wheel when driving on the highway - I've had the car aligned several times, and this never gets any better, fine in the city, but at faster speeds its very annoying. Then, the windows are very narrow, which makes seeing out around you more difficult. The steering wheel is placed right in front of the air vents, so most of the air gets blocked and doesn't reach the driver, extremely frustrating, because I have to move my head to the left of the right to get any air on my face. For the price which was new when I bought the car in 2012, their were other brands that I could've chosen but instead tried a Hyundai Elantra, and I wish I had gotten a different brand. For what I paid which was comparable to other mid range cars, I feel these problems are not acceptable. I therefore am leery about any other Hyundais in the future after my current Elantra, and wouldn't buy this brand again because of my current experience. For the price, there are better cars in the same price range.

New to Hyundai
By Rick L.

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Great car, will buy again! A lot of features for the money, comfortable. Spacious, fuel economy, and reliability has been key points to owning the car.

quality of interior materials extremely poo
By Tatyana

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Replaced stirring wheel twice in 6 years - starts to peel off after some time. Driver leather seat - leather on interiorr back deteriorated quickly and eventually broke split right in the middle. Mind you I am not a construction worker driving in this car in rough working close. I am a lady wearing nice clothes to office. And I always put a wind shield screen up! I don't think interior materials should be deteriorating to such level only 6 years later on a vehicle.