Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great car!
By Heather L.

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car since 2001 and it has been great! Relatively few repairs over the years - very dependable, especially for the price! Would recommend Hyundais to anyone looking for a great car at a reasonable price!

Amazing Car. Tons of cool upgrades!
By Da-Mi-An

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a 2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS. The car is fantastic on gas mileage and is rather cheap to fill up! I love how easy the steering is along with how fun it is to drive. My brakes work great. The interior is rather ugly as is in most Elantras the good part about that is they come with so many cool options for seats and dash kits that you can purchase to really make the car feel like your own. It is a great buy and I would recommend all of my friends and family to purchase one just so they can see how comfortable and smooth driving the elantra gls really is. I do plan on purchasing a newer one this year and turning mine into a rally car. So if you wanna race lets be in touch haha.

my little friend
By Frank

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

136000 and still going strong. I drive it easy and give it tlc.everything works. it is a good little car. I love it. cassette player died but I got a after mart that's sounds good. I don't know what these other people knock it for. it ony cost me 13000 dollars new.maybe I got a good one but I still love it. 15 winters so far and runs like a champ. rustproofing does pay off. body has none and paint still sines because I wax it often. so there

Has been a GREAT little car
By paulnbedford

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Elantra new in 2001 and maybe that's the difference from everyone else's experiences on here, as there seems to be a lot of negative reviews on these little cars, but ours has been a great little car only letting us down once. Turned out to be the spark plugs and wires needed to be replaced. I've never seen a car jerk back and forth and act that way before in my life, nor since. Sure enough the dealership said it replaced those parts and it ran great afterwards. The car now has over 177k on it and I have only had to replace the plugs and wires once since the originals went out on us some 12/13 years ago. Unfortunately at the time it was bad enough you couldn't even drive the car though and had to be towed in. Fortunately though it was under warranty! We've both said we'd buy another new Hyundai again without hesitation. It's been the best car we've ever owned other than our old Dodge's/Plymouth's from the 70's.
Hyundai's do seem to be very sensitive to their engine parts, preferring genuine Hyundai replacement parts rather than after market stuff. This can be a bit expensive when it comes to sensors, although I have found some OEM parts on the internet rather cheap. A lot cheaper than what my local dealer sells them at anyway.
Fuel mileage for this car has never been stellar and one would expect better mileage from a car/engine this size. Sorry, haven't figured it out recently and can't remember what it was, but it was low 20's in the city where you'd expect at least 25 mpg.
This isn't really a trip car in my opinion. Seats can get uncomfortable on trips that take several hours. We've only used it once to go out of state and that was because our van decided to act up that weekend and riding in this for several hours was rough. It's a good little car for around town, but not comfortable enough for trips.
Door seals seem to wear out prematurely on these Hyundai's. Don't know if it's a cheap rubber they use or what, but our drivers side door seal has been coming apart for years and I have noticed when looking at other Hyundai's some suffer the same problem. They also don't seem to have used any sealant to keep the rear door seals on the fame of the car as both sides of ours have come away repeatedly and the only way to stop it from happening was for me to apply my own sealant.
Despite all of this we have loved this little car. It's been reliable and in the end that's been the most important part to owning any car. We would still buy another one if we had to do it over again and we will be buying an other Hyundai to replace this one when the time comes.

wouldnt want anything else
By drvn2mddnss

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

bought mine used in 2010 it had 175,000 miles on it. i change the oil every 3k it now sits at 221,200 miles and is still going strong, ive only had to replace both the front drive axles at around 75 bucks a piece and the transmission sensors that were a little salty at around 180.00 for both. but still is an awesome running vehicle i use it to commute to work. looking at a 2004 model 5 speed now to upgrade. i would recommend this car to anyone.

very roomy, my dogs love the back seat, and i can fold them down to give them both more room.