2021 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews

Save as much as $2,128
Select your model:
12345...11

Pros
Cons

Hammer Time

Jon, 01/07/2021
Elite 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

Assuming consistent build quality on Pilots is a mistake. Test drove a couple Pilots in late ’19, decided on the Pilot, planned to purchase a ‘20 in early ’20 but things happened. December ’20 test drove a couple ‘21’s, told dealer what trim/color I wanted and they transferred from affiliate store to my home on a Friday night. Never drove it before and Assumed same quality as the ones I’d test driven. (Did same in 2015 with a Toyota and no surprises.) The next week I drove it to town and noticed a constant and nagging hammering on right front upon slow to moderate acceleration that lasted from 1100 to 1500 RPM. Not a tick or a thump – hammering like a hammer on concrete, muffled by the car firewall. Got dealer appt., rode with a master Tech who, after a series of slow take-offs, said “That is Loud”. They got a couple other techs involved at dealership when we got back and it seemed none felt this was acceptable engine sound – too loud. Tech contacted Honda Tech line and waited. What he got back was 2 example audio files and both had the same frequency (crank revolutions) hammering – one with a more metallic tone the other more like hammering concrete, like mine - no difference in decibels between the 2 that I heard. The concrete hammering sound, they said, was normal engine operation. No repairs authorized. The writer and the tech both seemed stunned that Honda Tech line could straight-faced pass this hammering off as normal engine operation. But they can’t tear into it for free and Honda ain’t paying. They both seemed to feel badly for me and they didn’t seem to agree that this was normal or acceptable. Many dealers would agree with the Factory and tell you there’s nothing wrong with it. Not these guys. I don't throw fits or brow beat service folks, they get enough of that without me adding to and I'm an old man with better things to do. So I thanked them for their effort and told them respectfully that I didn't pay $45K to listen to a hammering engine for the next 100K mi. That I'd be moving on past this vehicle soon. The fact that Honda had ready audio files of “normal” engine hammering on Pilots was alarming to me. Never noticed any such hammering on the others I drove – why would I buy one if I had? I read these customer comments on the Pilots and Passports on Edmunds religiously for years (9-speed shifting problems, body seam irregular gaps, etc.) and seemed they had improved somewhat. One thing I noticed is regularly there’s a customer experience that doesn’t read anything like the others. That, to me, points to inconsistent build quality of the product and I overlooked that fact in accepting an unfamiliar car delivered to my door. Unfortunately, I got the booby prize model. Advise you test drive a Pilot At Length, look at everything long and hard and put it through all the paces you can think of before you purchase one. If something’s not just right, get in another and maybe it’ll be better. Or maybe compare with another Brand. I’m trading soon and will eat the dollar loss– fighting with Honda or working the Lemon law process both would take Much time and stressful confrontation; and like I said - I got better things to do.

Love Love Love!

JC, 09/09/2020
Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Rear Captain's Chairs (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

We've driven a Pilot for 12 years and wanted to try out the competition for something new but quite frankly, after test driving several midsize SUVs in the Pilots class, we came back to it for its overall roominess in all 3 rows (even my 6' tall husband felt the 3rd row was comfortable), its smooth ride, and its features. We have two teenagers and a medium-large dog so we opted for the 2nd row captain's chairs which only came on the Touring or Elite, even though we didn't need all the features of either, the chairs were important to us. The ride is so quiet and smooth, the handling is nimble, pickup is quick. If I had any negatives it would be, I don't like the absence of a gearshift (pushing a button is so strange) and I wish the center console between the captain chairs could be removed. That's it though, we absolutely love everything else!

I love the car

Ben, 12/13/2020
SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

I traded in my Honda CR-V 2017 for the Pilot 2021 SE and so far I love it. The car is very quiet compared to my CR-V, and my family barely hear wind or tire noise. Riding comfort is in general good, but potentially due to the 20-in wheels, we could feel a bit bumpy on bumpy roads. The car is quite spacious for 6 people (we haven't got a chance to pack 8 people in the car yet). The engine is powerful with a smooth 9 speed transmission mated to it. I only have two complaints about the infotainment system. The touchscreen occasionally stopped responding to any touches for a few seconds. Even switching the touchscreen sensitivity to high, the problem still persists. It doesn't affect use of the screen, but it can be annoying. I'm not sure if the software is at fault, or the screen hardware itself. The other complaint I have is the Apple Carplay, it hung once.

Ad
Build Your Pilot
At a Glance:
  • 9 Colors
  • 7 Trims
  • $32,250starting MSRP

More comfortable than Telluride

Will, 12/28/2020
SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

I narrowed my search down to the Pilot and the Telluride. the Kia was sexier but I found the Honda had a more comfortable seat for my old back. Safety features great, almost self driving. good acceleration when needed. close to 30 mph on flat highway in ECO mode. I chose the SE trim to get the 20" wheels; the shorter sidewalls seemed to be less rolly in the turns.

Outstanding Vehicle For The Money

Class of '74, 12/09/2020
EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

This is my third Honda. It's very comfortable, has lots of extras that would have cost me more with other brands. My previous Honda purchases have been super reliable, and have had excellent resale value. I'm sure this one will be no different. After driving this vehicle for over six months now, I've been impressed with the fuel mileage, the adaptive cruise control, and the comfort of the seats on long drives. This has proven to be an excellent purchase for me!

12345...11