Used 2009 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews - 198 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Great reliability
By Rob

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Other than some road noise, all positives on this vehicle.

7yr review
By Byron Wilsom

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have 57000 miles on the exl pilot.This SUV is the smoothest running vehicle I've ever owned.I use it as a work car mostly.It has 4wheel drive.I really wish we would get a lot of snow so I can see how well this works.The amount of snow in central Ohio is very limited.I bought the extended warranty at the dealer and wouldn't do it again.I replaced the battery and replaced the heating element in both front seats.I paid $1300 for extended warranty and have not broke even yet.I have heard these pilots can easily reach 200,000 miles.If you don't drive a lot of miles I wouldn't purchase it.The pilot has the 3 set of airbags on driver and passenger side.It will seat 8 and both seats in back will fold flat on the floor.I would buy this vehicle again.No remorse.

Great reliable vehicle but poor gas milege and acc
By Mike jones

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I read some of the bad reviews but I guess I ended up with a good one. So far I have 108k miles and never had any problems. Just regular oil change and That's it. There was a recall on the front suspension making noise. Just gotta take it in to the dealer to get it fixed for free. Its roomy and it's a great family car, has enough space for all your stuff for long road trips. But, lol Yea there's always something. Its a great family vehicle but when u are driving by yourself and u wanna have some fun, nope. The acceleration is horrible esp if your trying to merge on to free way. Handling is less than sub par. Feels like drving a bus. Bottom line: great family vehicle, but very boring car. Gas mileage could improve.

"It's suppose to burn that much oil!"
By Cheeky

2009 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well, I have had my pilot since 09. I have enjoyed it so far, with a few exceptions. Around 80,000 miles my engine started misfiring. And I got a check engine light that came on. I took it to autozone were they pulled a code. The code confirmed my thoughts, it was a missfire in two of my spark plugs.

I decided to save a little money and replace them myself. Figured how much trouble could it be. I pulled the plugs and two of the plugs seem to have been worn excessively.
I started to do some research online only to find out that a lawsuit against Honda about this problem. Apparently the piston rings would shift and allow oil to enter the piston chamber, causing pre mature wear on the plugs and excessive oil consumption. Honda knows of the problem and is supposed to fix it.

I brought this to the attention of dealership I frequently visit. I was told because I replaced the plugs and code was cleared I just had to wait until it happens again.

Since that incident both catalic converters have failed, why you ask well because they have been coated with oil. By the way that will be a $1400 job please. Also, my Honda pilot if it sits running while parked for over a minute , and then I press the accelerator it blows out a large amount of smoke. I have since brought that up to the dealership. The mechanic told me I needed a new engine! Well, I brought up the leaking piston rings, the lawsuit etc. I was then told " That now I need to do an oil consumption test". Apparently burning three quarts of oil between oil changes is "normal" according to Gunn Honda.

I haven't changed the catalic converters on my pilot yet because I figured it would be a waste of money if they are going to get covered with oil and go out again ;I may want to wait. By not changing them keeps my fuel management system from working properly. For those who need further explanation if you see the green "ECO" light on! You are running on three cylinders and not six, which is "supposed" to be increasing your gas mileage.

So if you are thinking of buying a used one understand this might be what you are getting.

I will say other than that problem I have really enjoyed the ride and comfort of the pilot. If the new ones didn't look like the Honda Odyssey so much I might have upgraded.

2009 Honda Pilot Review
By captainbull

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2009 Honda Pilot as new from a Honda dealership here are our assessments:

1. Cheap interior design. Cheap plastic and adhesive. The "skin" for the club compartment peels off easy.
2. Cheap glasses. Just one little hit of a little rock the windshield just cracked. It's so thin.
3. Noisy driving (windows not tight seal).
4. Cheap paint (scratch and dent easily)
5. Incorrect gas mileage (they lied) we only get 18MPG on HW and 16MPG city.
6. Stupid trailer light system design. They just want their dealers to make extra cash (so many steps to install it) and the kit cost over $200!)
7. Only one key entry from driver side.
8. Windshield wiper fluid pump failed too early (not even one year).
====
Overall: Would prefer a Toyota 4-Runner next time.
===
Has gone through two alternators already! My 2001 Toyota Tundra still has the original. The paint is terrible. You could scratch it with your finger nails! Very poor paint job!!! The front suspension looks like needs work now.

*** TWO BIGGEST PROBLEMS:
1. PATHETIC PAINT JOB
2. CHEAP INTERIOR MATERIALS.

Get you a 4-Runner.