Used 2004 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 389 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

A minivan that is anything but mini!
By John

2004 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has provided an exemplary ride for its entire life. Plenty of seating for 7. Great cargo room. Fairly smooth ride. Some road noise but not at all intrusive. My only negative is driving in snow, the traction is too sensitive, causing the vehicle to feel like it is towing a heavy weight. With 2-4 inches of snow i would turn traction control off.

Dependable and comfortable
By Giriarao

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Has been a very dependable Van for 14 years. Love it

Good Starter Car
By Parker Jacobs

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Now, before I recently purchased the 2017 Honda CR-V, I drove the 2004 Odyssey for a short period of time. Overall, my mom had used it for years, she was impressed with it when she first purchased it. At the time, it was considered to be one of the hottest minivans on the market. Overall, when I drove it, I did not have any major problems with it. With that being said, later on, there were a few things that I'd have to be critical of. One thing is, one day I was going to drive it, it would not unlock using the key, I tried unlocking it manually, would not work, had to call the shop and check it out. Turns out it was a security issue and I ended up getting it resolved. The only other thing I had to be critical was was when whenever I drove on the freeway, the steering wheel would vibrate going above 70 (now that is probably because I haven't rotated the tires in a while). Other than that, I had no complaints of it, it was TERRIFIC in snow and ice! Since I live in Michigan, it could plow through almost anything. IF you are looking for something cheap, then I would definitely look into buying it used. Had no other problems except for the usual Takata Airbag recalls, but transmission gave power when it needed it, and got almost 29 miles on the freeway and 20 in the city. If you don't jerk the thing out, then you will get better MPGs

The best car you can own!
By Joe

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2004 Honda Odyssey is the best car I've ever owned! Since we bought the van in 2004 it has taken us on many fun adventures and never let us down! I never hesitate to take this car anywhere. Original engine and transmission and the van is 14 years old. I very highly recommend this van! Such a fun car to own!

Great value for $7100 on 88k mile 2013 Odyssey LX
By Matt S

2004 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Became worried about transmission after reading so much negative problems, so have babied it. Have changed and flushed at least 5 or 6 times, and have changed transmission filter(although they say it is lifetime, it may be, and it came out with zero shavings at 130k miles). 1st thing I did was full tune up including timing belt, spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, transmission fluids, etc.....all of it)...cost me about 1000, but have a basically new van for 8100. Changed brake and steering fluids at 125k. New tires at 140k. Oil changes every 5 to 7500 miles, and am switching to full synthetic at 149k). Had to recharge air at 115k with leak test in 2014.....has worked perfectly since and is pretty good considering it went 10 years to my knowledge, and this includes through (Nevada/Utah/Cal's Inland Valley's/Death Valley). Only surprise was a slow leak in power steering at 125k.....fixed and no problem since. I now have 149k miles....so 60k miles in just under 4 years....and really no major problems.....just regular maintenance, but I have changed everything that most people overlook like changing brake and steering fluids. Sometimes if I drive conservatively I can get 27 mpg, but I normally drive about 80-82 mph and get 22 to 23 mpg.....which I consider pretty good. I have a roof rack I will remove and I am sure I will improve another 1 mpg. Really, I cant be happier considering. Hope to get another 4 years out of this, and if I do.....I will be a new one if they can improve the mpg on them. Transmission has been fine on this, but I read that they improved on this after 2002....they apparently had real issues with this and started some pre purchase transmission extras to help, and apparently it worked. This handles extremely well for a van, and has great acceleration for a 14 year old van. Some rust underneath. Oh, I did have to have pipes redone due to rust......I think this is normal after 13 years....did it last year. Seems ready to roll another 100k......so lets hope....that should get me at least 5 years as I drive across country at least twice a year. Safety ratings are very good so feel good about wife or kids driving. Have added dash cam that has back up camera and lane deviation and crash alert......a very nice addition for those with larger family vehicles.