Used 2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-Z model:

Almost has good as a vette,But not as fast
By Walter

2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

You either like the styling,or you don't.Like a sports car that gets overall 35 mpg or settle for something else and a lot more money!!

"Sport Hybrid" That isn't that sporty or efficient
By Aguy

2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback w/Nav (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

I test drove a 2012 CR-Z EX manual transmission with 65K miles . I read every review and long term test in preperation before stepping on the lot. For a little context, I have owned a 02 Accord DX, 93' Civic DX, and a 2010 Honda Fit Base all manual transmissions. I know small Honda's pretty well and hoped the CR-Z would be a moderately zippy 2 seater that could spirit-fully take a turn. What I found was a car that was slower and did not handle as well as my Fit. On the upside, the CR-Z is extremely cheap to insure(Hybrid owners are considered safer) and gets pretty good MPG. The downside, well it's not really GOOD at anything. Again, it's not a good sports car or hybrid. There are a handful of Hondas that can offer a fun driving experience with comparable MPG and more than two seats. So why would you bother? Maybe it's the styling or perhaps the size works well for you in the city or you just want something different. Either way, if you know what you're getting into it's not a bad car it just doesn't make sense.

I love getting in my car each morning!
By kristen21

2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

I love this car! I bought it because I wanted a fuel efficient car that was also fun to drive. This car is definitely fun to drive and I love getting into it each morning.
I've owned my CR-z for about 6 months now. This car is really comfortable-- I love that the seats hug you. I also like all the bells and whistles like blue tooth phone connection, radio adjustment from the steering wheel, and a USB port to hook up my ipod.
I had to rent a Chevy Malibu and every time I got in the car I missed my CR-z. I hated the way the Malibu handled and I didn't like its responsiveness.
I love this car and would definitely recommend it.

I really like the manual transmission as well as the different driving modes. This is the only hybrid I know of with a manual transmission. I usually drive in the eco mode unless I'm having a really bad or a really good day-- then I switch it up to sport which is super fun. I was worried about the size of the car at first, but actually the back of the car is really big. I can fit my bike in my car if I take off the front wheel of my bike.

The hatchback is really tough to see out of. The frame is really bulky making backing up challenging. The fuel efficiency isn't what I hoped. I thought I'd be able to get around 40+ mpg, but it's ended up being 39 in the summer and 36 in the fall. I keep the car in eco mode the vast majority of the time as well as I drive really conservatively to save gas. I can get around 43 mpg when I'm driving on the highway only, but in the city its closer to 34 or 36. I accidentally left my headlights on for about 30 minutes and my battery went dead. Once I jumped it I was able to charge the battery up again, but I feel like it doesn't last as long as a traditional battery.

Great comprimise between sport and milage
By rskdsk

2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I absolutley love this car.
It is sporty, has a cool 3d dash, has some power in sport mode, and has style!
It is not a tire shreader ... but much 1000X better than the veloster I traded in!
The car even handels decent.
Yes, it does not have rear seats and the real mpg is about 35-37mpg in eco mode ... 30-32mpg in sport mode ... but it is perfect as the daily go to work car.

I love the 3D dash, handeling, and looks

More powerful electric motor capable of electric mode only would be nice.

Fun Drive!
By rzmann

2012 Honda CR-Z Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Had this car for 5 months now and can't wait to drive it each day. We live in the Rockies and travel to Salt Lake Utah valley often. Love the ride up and down the mountains. No lost of power coming up. Fuel average is 40 mpg. Sport car all the way!