Used 2014 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Almost ready for a new one
By Bill

2014 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My third CRV. No problems with any of them. Looking at my fourth one.

Honda quality
By Chris

2014 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Great practical vehicle

Very disappointing MPG
By Colorado Gal

2014 Honda CR-V EX-L w/Navigation 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I read a lot of reviews and did a lot of research before deciding to buy the 2014 CR-V in late 2014. I had wanted a navigation system, heated leather seats, and sunroof and the model at the dealership had it. All in all it's a quality vehicle, solid, spacious and comfortable, drives and handles well, and I feel safe in it. Living in Colorado I wanted a 4WD or AWD to navigate winter weather. My challenges with the vehicle begin with the horrible gas mileage. I was expecting 25 mpg in town but have never gotten that. In talking with my dealer, I was told to try different brands of gas (don't buy at certain locations etc.) and to try with the Econ button both on and off. I actually got worse mileage using the Econ button. I have only driven on a few longer trips (maybe 120 miles) as the Honda is my commuter car and has low mileage. After 3-1/2 years and 23,500 miles, my overall average is only 19.9 mpg! Definitely disappointing and not at all what I expected from a Honda. Another complaint is with the navigation system. I find it very cumbersome to enter a place or address and once when I searched for the closest grocery store, it gave me the location of one that I knew had been closed for several years. Therefore I never paid to upgrade the system and instead use a GPS program on my phone that's much more user-friendly. Lastly, I found that using the voice commands to do anything - dial a phone number, turn down the temp, turn up the fan - required too many steps to make it convenient to use, so I never use it. I can definitely recommend the 2014 CR-V overall and maybe mine's a lemon as far as gas mileage, but you could forego the extra cost for the navigation system.

I'll never get the Honda mystique
By Lacy Robertson

2014 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Our CR-V has been a disappointment since the day we drove it (new) off the dealer lot: The Intermediate shaft has rattled all the time (but remarkably our local Honda dealer is never able to replicate). The blower motor for the a/c fan never worked right, finally dying right after the warranty expired. The gas mileage is pathetic -- my father's V6 engine in his Ford Escape got comparable mileage to the 4-cylinder CR-V. Cargo space is lacking compared to other vehicles in this segment. We rented a Rav-4 one time while another car was being fixed after an accident. The rear capacity, which appears smaller, is significantly bigger. Technology is lacking: Since a recent iOS update, the bluetooth can no longer display the name on the Caller ID on phone calls (yet it manages to when displaying text messages). (Honda blames Apple; yet my friends with other cars from other manufacturers don't seem to have the same problem after an iOS update). The power locks are failing at four years and 80,000 miles. Replaced the right rear door and back tailgate in January 2018. It is now March 2018 and the rear tailgate has failed again. (There is no option to open it when the locks fail.) All in all, I'll never understand why people pay extra for Honda. The car isn't well-built (fit and trim rattles, it's noisy on the road -- good luck listening to the radio and driving at highway speeds). The service department at Honda dealers in the Dallas area, where I live, leave a lot to be desired. All in all, you'd be better off with any other SUV.

Senior
By Steve

2014 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Good pickup onto highway. Smooth ride. Comfortable driver's seat. Just wish the passenger seat had the same electronic adjustments that the drivers seat has. Smooth riding with acceleration to match. Just enough electronics for a novice like me. Plenty of storage, seating and headroom for rear seating. Dealer was great from the sales pitch to the registration of the vehicle. Only had the vehicle for 9 months but would buy another in the future.