Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 408 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Love this little car
By Ry

2005 Honda Civic LX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

My family has had this car since we bought it (almost) new in 2005. Since then, it has been nothing but good to us. We're not hard on the car by any means, but I definitely don't baby it. It's acceleration is as good as you could expect from a 13 yr old Honda (i.e. pretty bad), but it's not so slow that it's unsafe when you're trying to pass someone. The engine doesn't mind hitting the occasional 6k on the tachometer - Hondas are just build for that kind of thing. The gas mileage is incredible. Obviously when you buy a Honda you're not paying for its bells and whistles - you're paying for a good, reliable, and dependable vehicle. So as far as the quality of the interior/options go, it's not great. You could easily find a car in the same category as the civic with more options, but you'll usually compromise on reliability (not always, of course). However there is one thing I have seen frequently happen with these cars somewhere between 160k and 200k miles. The head gasket usually starts leaking/blows. If you have a honda with this generation of it's 1.7L inline 4 engine and you notice an oil leak as you get close to 200k miles, you should seriously consider getting the head gasket replaced (depending on how long you want to keep the car). Most people that I've seen who do this (including myself) can get their civic up into the 300k miles if they want. All in all, this car is great. I'm going to run the wheels off of this thing, which I know might take me a while - and I'm fine with that!

Our Honda Civic worker.
By Ose R. Cloin

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Vehicle is dependable, quick and agile, economical to maintain. We drive it for our errands and we drive it a little less as we are getting older. only has 74000 miles on it and it is 13 years old. We have actually had people offer to buy it when they see it. The vehicle is never out of the garage unless we are driving it. It has value to us and as long as it looks good we will keep it. It has alloy wheels and is in good mechanical condition. Air condition system is good. We did not give it to our eldest granddaughter as she has turned 16. felt that it was a little small and she was inexperienced for this car.

Best car ill ever own
By Nikki

2005 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This car is so great! Sets your expectations on vehicles so high that its hard to find anything else as good, especially for the price! Does great on road trips. The gas usage.. amazing! The performance is pretty surprising for such a small car too! As for working on them, at times its a little cramped but defiantly more room than other compact cars that I've worked on and the parts are very reasonably priced when you consider how often you would need to replace them which I've found that once you replace a part your never need to do it again unless you keep it for another 10 years. All around I think this is the best car to have if you need something a little fun, great on gas and long trips, and really, really reliable!

Great little car
By Paul Rebholz

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

best value EVER

Quiet little car
By Megan Matney

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

It's very quiet and overall a great first car, wish it would have been my first car. :) The gas mileage is excellent. I hate to get rid of her, but I need something bigger. If you have a teenage daughter, (I'm a young lady, myself,) I would most definitely suggest this little companion.