Used 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

A reliable and low cost maintenance automobile!
By Alice Harnell

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This Honda Civic hybrid, purchased in 2004, is running perfectly. The hybrid battery was replaced once by the dealer at no cost to me. The car is completely dependable. When it hasn't been driven for several weeks, it will still start up immediately. My next car will be another Honda~

cvt transmission not worth the savings
By virginia3881

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had 2 civic hybrids.
while the gas mileage is good the
fact that BOTH of the hybrids transmissions are trash.
and to buy a remanufacture one is not an option. No one wants to
do the work
I have
scoured the country for remanufactured cvt transmission for either with no luck and the savings in gas mileage is not worth the trouble I have now. so think before you buy a vehicle with a cvt transmissionl.

Hybrid in disguise
By illili

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought this car because I commute too many miles a week for a 4.0 v6 to cut it. I drove the car back from Chesapeake VA to the top corner of Pennsylvania and it drove wonderfully.

The gas mileage is superb; I get mid-upper 40's in my area (This will vary greatly for anyone looking to buy one based on elevation changes on driving route, habits, ethanol in gas, etc.) during the dead of winter.

The comfort is just about the same as my truck, however I'm more into functionality than luxury when it comes to vehicles, so if you need clouds to sit on, this isn't your car.

The car has little passing power unless you shift down a few gears, but that's not what it's designed for.

The gas mileage is wonderful. The engine is whisper quiet, however to be fair before this I never owned a car that was newer than 1994. The dash is a very simple, yet effective way of relaying data to the driver. The 5-spd is awesome, shame they got rid of it in later models.

My car is a tad difficult to get into reverse, not sure whether it's because reverse isn't synchronized or it's a pre-existing problem. I would like a firmer clutch pedal, I can push this one with my finger. Better under coating for the body, I live up north so the salt will take its toll if I don't undercoat it myself this spring. I would think that Honda should either make their hybrid lighter to allow the 1.3 liter to be more effective (like the insight), or make the electric motor and engine slightly larger to compensate for the weight to power ratio. But, it's supposed to look like a normal car and be a hybrid, and it does this pretty darn well.

2004 Honda Hybrid
By carol

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This was my first Honda that I ever owned. I currently have over 170,000 miles on it and it still is running strong. I drive 140 miles round trip to work from the mountains at 6,000 feet to sea level 4 days a week. My gas mileage averages about 40 mpg. I did replace the IMA battery at just under 150,000 and the cost was covered under CA law, lucky me! I love this car.

Gas mileage

Can't beat it
By Asti

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Bought the car used, only 16k...Had the gas tank filled up twice, and both times I averaged 49.6 mpg. It probably would have worse gas mileage if driven harder, but I cannot complain about what I get (is a 5 speed one). It would be nice if would have a little more oomph, but...then no mileage. Nice piece of machinery and technology, I enjoy getting almost 600 miles per tank, happy with the residual value down the road...

Nice and simple interior, slightly more pad than a regular civic, safety features, and NO TIMING belt.

none