2014 Honda Accord Consumer Review: Great enthusiasts car

2014 Honda Accord - Consumer Review

Sport Sedan (2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Great enthusiasts car
By bgsntth on

2014 Honda Accord Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

3-3-2017 Update: Just turned the Sport in at the end of the 3 year lease. It was an entertaining, fun to drive, frugal, comfortable, and ungodly well built. It was primarily a commute car taking me from Marin to downtown Oakland on a daily basis. Driving very enthusiastically I average between 28 - 30 mpg on 89 octane and full synthetic. The manual transmission was a joy, and it made the commute more enjoyable - never regretted it for a minute. After 3 years I did not have one warranty claim, creak or rattle. I put Nokian Z-Line high-performance tires on at 1K, as the stock tires were really poor on wet roads. The Nokians made the Sport a much more enjoyable car, and still passed the post-lease inspection with 29K miles on the odo.

Things I'd changed. The head rest hit me at the base of the neck, so I flipped them around. Even with the Nokians, I would get a lot of wheelspin with one wheel when accelerating moderately in the wet and aggressively in the dry - had to back-off the throttle a lot. It needs a limited slip. The back seats have a lot of room, but the seats are very deep; hence, even my teenagers complained about driving in a cave and feeling like a little kid. The rear seats do not fold even close to flat, so loading a bike or surfboard was difficult - sport-wagon please. While I really liked the Sport, it is a great appliance, but did not invoke my passions. Like my prior Miata, WRX or Cayman - different mission. I'm replacing my Sport with a very lightily optioned Cayman.

I only have 1K miles on it.
I bought the Sport because it was one of the few vehicles that was offered in a Manual transmission, was fun to drive, had enough room in the rear seats for teenagers, and I could fit comfortably (6'3" and 210lbs). It is a lot of fun to drive - even with a good portion of my 60 mile round trip commute being in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Gear change and clutch is one of the best I have experienced - slightly behind my old Miata, but better than my prior Cayman.
It does not like to be rushed, however.

Handling is a surprise. Very taunt with little bodyroll, but will begin to understeer at the limits. The ride is perfect - firm, but soaks up all bumps.

• Purchase cost
  • Fuel economy
  • Resale value
  • Maintenance cost
  • Warranty

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review