Used 2009 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews

2009 GMC Yukon XL

Pros
Cons

An okay SUV

JustADriver, 01/30/2010

Bought the 09 to replace my 05. My biggest complaints relate to interior space use usability. There are no storage spaces for things like sunglasses. The 05 wasn't great, but it has thee good storage spaces in the dash. For some reason GMC decided to go with tiny buttons to control climate and radio. It has taken me a while to get used to the new layout, but the buttons are just bad, especially if you have gloves on. I am looking forward to towing my 30' camper. The 05 did well, I hope the 09 does better.

Unexplained Sudden Acceleration

emzomarja, 01/14/2013

Purchased our vehicle new in 2009. Generally satisfied with the SUV. In December 2012 the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated without explanation. The car was towed to dealer - who could not re-create the defect. The vehicle has a bulletin out on a throttle defect but claim that it is due to a loss of power rather than a sudden acceleration. The manufacturer declined to pay for the cost of analysis of the defect, in spite of the throttle bulletin indicating they will pay the cost of the repair. Have 75K mi. on car but now wrestling with keeping it due to the concern. Expected another 2 years out of the vehicle, especially at this price for car - but now may have to find another option.

Love it

Will, 10/09/2009

Wife drives an '07 Suburban, and I traded my '08 MDX in on this Denali XL when we had baby #4 (too hard to use the 3rd row). Love the Denali, but have to say the '07 Suburban is faster off the line by a considerable amount, even after giving up about 90 HP. Must be the AWD and 20" wheels on the Denali. And as much as I love the exhaust note on the Denali, some folks may not appreciate that and go for the relatively quiet 5.3L engine in the Suburban or Yukon XL.

For the most part it's a great vehicle!

Mrs. Lee, 03/28/2018
SLT2 2500 4dr SUV 4WD (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

We love our Yukon XL, we've owned it for 4 years and it has done great through our midwest winters. My only warnings to people are minor. In the extreme cold the rear cargo door won't work, you have to shut off the motor too it and manually open it. Not the end of the world but it's helpful to know. Also our engine light is on. It's apparently something to do with the emissions system, a $500 fix. Unfortunately this issue disables the remote start on the vehicle, a little more annoying. I have a few friends with similar Yukons/Suburbans and these issues are common in them. Otherwise we don't have any major complaints. It tows our 32' camper wonderfully and hauls the kids around too. Gas mileage isn't the best but what do you expect??

Love It!

PeakLover, 06/03/2009

I recently traded in my 2001 Yukon XL Denali (which I really enjoyed) for a 2009, because I wanted the latest safety features (side air bags, stability control, and digital OnStar). This Denali is well-made (thanks, American auto-workers!) and has many new features (such as rain- sensing blades). Yes, I know it doesn't get the politically-correct mileage (14 in town/17 highway) but at least now I've consolidated down to only one vehicle. I bought now because I assume the now-Government owned GM would force fuel-savings changes into the design that consumers don't want (e.g., no more spare tires).