Used 2009 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

For the most part it's a great vehicle!
By Mrs. Lee

2009 GMC Yukon XL SLT2 2500 4dr SUV 4WD (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

We love our Yukon XL, we've owned it for 4 years and it has done great through our midwest winters. My only warnings to people are minor. In the extreme cold the rear cargo door won't work, you have to shut off the motor too it and manually open it. Not the end of the world but it's helpful to know. Also our engine light is on. It's apparently something to do with the emissions system, a $500 fix. Unfortunately this issue disables the remote start on the vehicle, a little more annoying. I have a few friends with similar Yukons/Suburbans and these issues are common in them. Otherwise we don't have any major complaints. It tows our 32' camper wonderfully and hauls the kids around too. Gas mileage isn't the best but what do you expect??

King of full size SUV's!
By Keith Rigsby

2009 GMC Yukon XL SLT2 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

There is no real comparable full size SUV to challenge General Motors, but that hasn't kept GM from continuously improving the Yukon XL. We traded an 2004 Suburban for this brand new and now with 155,000 miles on it, this baby still runs and drives like a new one. Being totally honest, there are two weaknesses for these trucks. 1st is the displacement on demand or active fuel management. This is supposed to increase your gas mileage, but it causes your motor to consume oil after about 60,000 miles or so. And if you're not the type that keeps an eye on your oil level, you can run too low and burn your motor up. I have always kept a close eye on this and finally had the dod deleted and I've had zero problems. My mileage is the same, maybe even a little better, and no more oil consumption. 2nd weakness is the transmission torque converter design. Due to a design issue, these 6 speed trannys will give you problems between 100k and 125k miles. Mine made it to 153k and then it cost approximately $1300 to have the fix done. The good thing is my guy went through the entire tranny and all was good except the torque converter and another part, the name of which slips my mind. A complete rebuild would have cost $2500-$3500, but because my tranny guy is honest, he fixed only what needed fixing. Bad part is that the design flaw is still there and in another 120k miles, I'll be looking at doing it again. Overall, this vehicle is awesome. Still looks good and haven't had any other issues with it except for what I've mentioned. Granted, some people will drive them even when they know there's a problem and this will wind up costing them a lot more in the long run. But for those that get luckier and catch these two issues quickly, this vehicle will give you many, many trouble free miles and will do so efficiently and in style.

Unexplained Sudden Acceleration
By emzomarja

2009 GMC Yukon XL SLT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased our vehicle new in 2009.
Generally satisfied with the SUV.
In December 2012 the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated without explanation.
The car was towed to dealer - who could not re-create the defect.
The vehicle has a bulletin out on a throttle defect but claim that it is due to a loss of power rather than a sudden acceleration. The manufacturer declined to pay for the cost of analysis of the defect, in spite of the throttle bulletin indicating they will pay the cost of the repair.
Have 75K mi. on car but now wrestling with keeping it due to the concern.
Expected another 2 years out of the vehicle, especially at this price for car - but now may have to find another option.

Great Size and Power
By j_stew

2009 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV AWD (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

We bought this vehicle purely for the size and passenger capacity.
From that aspect, the vehicle is great - love all the room, the overall design, and general looks of the vehicle.
Also love the power and "go anywhere" feel of the vehicle.
We have, however, had this car in the shop more than any vehicle we've owned.
Constant accessory / electrical issues (power seats, vented seats, heated seats, power door locks, driver air, power mirror).
It still looks great and we still enjoy taking it on long trips when it's working, but if there was another good option with this much space and power, we'd take it.

Space, space, space. ...and Power. Pass-through middle row is great for larger 3rd row passengers. Overall options are nice (DVD, NAV, Power Everything, Heated/Cooled Front Seats, Reverse Camera, Remote Start, etc). Also still love the overall look of the vehicle.

Larger Nav and DVD screens. More reliability with accessories and electrical components. Flat-folding 2nd and 3rd rows. USB/IPOD integration. More cupholders.

An okay SUV
By JustADriver

2009 GMC Yukon XL SLT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Bought the 09 to replace my 05. My biggest complaints relate to interior space use usability. There are no storage spaces for things like sunglasses. The 05 wasn't great, but it has thee good storage spaces in the dash. For some reason GMC decided to go with tiny buttons to control climate and radio. It has taken me a while to get used to the new layout, but the buttons are just bad, especially if you have gloves on. I am looking forward to towing my 30' camper. The 05 did well, I hope the 09 does better.

Pretty comfortable seats, kids love the second row heated seats. I think the built in trailer brake controller will be good, but need to wait for spring to try it out with my trailer. Folding in the mirrors is way easier on the 09 than it was on the 05.

Storage space it desperately needed. The tiny buttons are just awful. I really wish I could combine my old 05 with the new 09. I had no problems with button in the 05.