Used 1997 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Adequate truck, good value
By Phil Graf

1997 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the second GMC Sonoma that I've owned (both used). They are solid and a lot less pricey than the Toyota Tacomas. It's a good looking little truck that is pleasant to operate. The 4.3 L engine seems to be this truck's best feature. Shifting (automatic) is sometimes jerky, but not too bad. These trucks have a typical rear leaf spring fracture, and I ended up with a whole new set of rear springs and shocks all around. The plastic GMC uses for their interiors must be made by the Mattel toy company -- cracks easily and is very hard to repair. Sounds like I don't like the truck, but I do. It's been reliable, and is relatively comfortable. Rear jump seats are pretty much useless, and the rear area (extended cab) is difficult to access unless you get the third door -- which I WISH I had held out for! Bought the truck used with under 100K, now have 140K and could sell it for more than I paid. Overall a decent little truck that will haul WAY over its rated load capacity. I get 18.5 around town and 21 - 22 on long highway trips. UPDATE: I put on a set of Hancook tires with a more aggressive (but not too extreme) tread pattern that is pretty good off-road, but not so great on the highway -- a little squirrely tracking, and they have reduced my milage by one to one & a half miles. Great tires, just not fuel efficient, so now I'm getting about 17 around town and probably 20 - 21 hwy. Still like the vehicle, and how have just about 150,000 on it.

terrible build
By Joi

1997 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I do love my truck its looks good. Other than that since I've owned it it has spent more time in a parking spot. One thing after another from a tensioner to the transmission has approx 87,000 miles. the transmission is a good one I've reseached it and it has many many applications I think that the inside apecs should have been researched a bit more this is probally the nost popular transmission the 4L60 just has different for each vehicle Never should have put a 4 cylinder automatic in an extended cab

The color (black),look the stepside

Research the transmission specs. GM really should have thought about installing only 6 cylinder engines. once the A?C is on you loose so much horsepower.

Excellent
By Desert Sonoma

1997 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Extended Cab SB

The current Sonoma I drive has been well cared for and has had few major repairs. I received it from my family in 2003, but was purchased in 9/1997. My experience has been that it requires very little maintence and was well built. Except for regular oil and lube, has endured large amounts of travel in the last 3 years has held up very well. The model I have is not the most comfortable, but I am satisfied with design. The a/c performs well as well a the heater.

The color of the truck and interior, and especially the day running lights!

For the Money, It wasnt too bad
By frynit

1997 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

This was the first car I purchased. GMC did a good thing when they created 4.3 V6 Vortec. This is the most reliable engine that I have ever driven. The body rusts way to easily however, so whoever forgot the clear coat at the assembly plant needs to get smacked. Also, the windshield wiper motor began to short circuit around 110000. Also, the tires recommended by all tire shops are not the ones on the car, which is weird. The suspension is awful. As a result, the interior creaks and squeaks like no other. Also, 2WD, especially in Wisconsin, makes this truck absolutely useless in the winter being that the bed is so light and suspension so loose.

The torque. No matter how many miles on this truck, the tires were always able to be roasted and almost any other car could be beaten off the line. Very fast acceleration from 0-45 and from 60-85.

Make a better rust proof paint job, and find a better use for the space in the extended cab portion aside from the useless jump seats. Also, the fuel economy for a small truck like this is awful.16 MPG is ridiculous.

Leaks everything.
By Bob

1997 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Has leaked oil, coolant, trans lube, freon since the day I bought it. GM would do nothing. Had to drive a whole year without heat because nobody could figure out why or fix it. Noisy transmission. Mysterious electrical problems. Eats oxygen sensors. Needs new ones every 2 years. Drove about 4 years with the "check engine" light on. Hard to fix since everything is so tightly jammed in the engine compartment. I would not buy GMC again. Yeah, a Sonoma is not a "real" truck. But just because it's small is no excuse for bad design and manufacturing. It wasn't a cheap truck.

It often moves forward when you step on the gas.

Make it repairable. Make it so it doesn't leak a quart a month of every known fluid.