Used 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Sierra 1500 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

First year of ownership, 2017 SLT Double Cab 6.2L

Steven D., 07/11/2018
SLT 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

The performance from the 6.2L V8 is exceptional, torque can be had at any engine speed, the 8-speed shifts a lot better then the 6-speed, which hampered my 2014 SLT with the 5.3L V8. It surprises many how quick the truck is and the passing power is phenomenal. Towing is easy, especially hooking up a trailer with the backup camera. With tow-haul mode engaged, towing is relatively effortless with the 6.2. Braking, handling, and ride quality are adequate for a full-size truck, but much better than most older trucks. The seats are large and comfortable, especially for highway use. They're not bolstered especially well for sporty driving, and rear seat room is limited with the double cab - the back seat is straight against the cab wall. Ergonomics are excellent - the center console with the bucket seats can fit a laptop or several file folders, the underseat storage accessory is great for holding a few tools, and there are plenty of cupholders and cubbies for front and rear passengers. Technology is great, the active safety tech works well though I've had several false alarms with the emergency braking and forward collision warning, the active lane keeping works well. Navigation, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, Bluetooth are all there, even Wi-Fi, an owner experience app with cool features (MyGMC), OnStar telematics and emergency services, SiriusXM radio, and even a cool little app store with podcasts and other available apps. The infotainment system is easy to use and intuitive. Most buttons are large and placed conveniently, and the infotainment is set up so you don't have to dig through menus to find most features. I love the spray-on bedliner, cargo tie downs, LED bedlights, and bumper-mounted bed steps. They make using the truck easier. The LED headlights are a welcome addition - the standard halogen headlights are not bright enough. I'd recommend springing for the Intellibeam headlights for a little extra visibility at night. In just over 12,000 miles and 1 year of driving, I have had 1 oil change and service around 7,000 miles and have had no issues or reasons to bring it to the dealer, a welcome improvement over my 2014 with its malfunctioning Safety Alert Seat, A/C condenser, a set of tires, and radiator all before being traded in at 39,000 miles. Gas mileage is about 15 on average with the 6.2, I mostly drive on 2-lane backroads and in town. I've gotten over 25 mpg on a 200 mile highway trip before. BOTTOM LINE: No truck or car is without it's compromises, but I have been very happy with my purchase. PROS: Acceleration, utility, technology, ergonomics and large list of creature comforts. CONS: 8-speeds seems too much, although it shifts a lot smoother than the 6-speed in my 2014; interior quality is a little lacking, they keep getting more and more expensive.

I LOVE MY TRUCK ITS RIGHT.OUTSIDE

Randy, 08/15/2018
SLT 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Buu it. Hands down so far the best bow tie vehicle Ive ever owned.It s fast lot of comfort a rollin computer on wheels Hell the only thing it dont do is fly

transmission shifting issues GMC declairs normal

John Hoch, 01/08/2018
SLE 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

Caution to perspective buyers.... Major issue with transmission 2017 ,,, GMC declares normal operation with Bullitin 99-04-20-002J,,, ... 01-09-2019,,, Recently discovered GM has new transmission redesign for 2019. I still have my 2017 V8 Searria .. Still very disappointed with cloggy transmission shifting.. Will NOT recommend or buy GM again..

Transmission shift clunk!

Disappointed, 10/17/2017
SLE 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

Be sure to drive it. I have one that bangs the gears when taking off. (Sometimes) .Usually first thing in the morning. Jerks and shifts hard with a loud clunk when shifting between 1 and 2 gear. I know other owners that report the Same problem. So far either of the ones I have heard about have found the problem. Including mine!! 55K MSRP. Should not have this problem!!

Better then a Ford

Dwayne Ashton , 04/12/2021
SLT 4dr Double Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I’ve been driving the 2017 GMC Sierra Z71 double cab for over a year. Regular oil changes every 5K kms give or take n it’s an awesome truck. Little small in the rear seats but what do I know. I’m the driver. It rides smooth n shifts gears. I had the truck in the dealership once which was for a recall on the ecu flash. Didn’t really notice anything before the recall with nothing different afterwards. After much research I found out the upper control arms are junk. So I had a motofab 3 inch leveling kit installed which fixed it and gave my truck an overall nice look. Then after a month I didn’t like the gap of the stock tires so I dropped it off at a tire shop for new tires. Came out with 285/70R17LT instead of 265/70R17 so more aggressive tread with the Hercules tires with little to no road noise. Their was a bit of vibration around 120kms an hr I n the highway mainly due that the tires were not balanced in the 1st place. The metallic green paint makes the truck stand out since it’s constantly changing from light green to dark green depending on the time of day. The 5.3L has exceeded my exceptions in every way n on the highway I can go from 120/hr to 150/hr with in seconds. The transmission shifts smoothly even in the snow when the tires are catching grip. Like I say to everyone. Disconnect the battery for a few hrs or overnight n then hook it up in the morning. It’s a smart vehicle so it learns the driver. I had a 2017 F250 double cab n had nothing but issues. All in all this gmc truck I drive is the Cadillac of trucks.