Used 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Sierra 1500 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

5.3 V8 why go smaller?

Schuyler Young, 09/03/2008
2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 GMC Regular Cab Flareside shortbed 4x4. I bought the truck used with 46,000 miles on it and now have 51,000 and only had one problem. My sound system rattled the screw loose on the overhead consule. I installed the sound system a month after i bought it and it and had to replace the tires which seem to be a common problem with these.I have a hard tonneau cover and it really helps out living in Alaska. If a truck survives here it can survive anywhere.

Absolutly Satisfied

Durakingdiesel, 03/03/2008
2dr Regular Cab SL 4WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is awesome. Only had one problem with it and that was the intermediate steering shaft replaced at no charge. The 4.8 had plenty of grunt. Spins the rear tires no problem (even at 1/4 throttle). The 4 wheel drive just goes in the snow no spin at all. It tows like there's nothing there which is awesome. It gets very decent gas mileage too I get about 17 18 city.

A fairly good all round truck

quickpickup, 11/06/2007
2dr Regular Cab SL 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck in Feb 2007 with 86,000 miles. At 89k new fuel pump b/c previous owner did not change fuel filter. At 92k intake gaskets leaking bad enough it wouldnt run on a cool summer morning. 93k discovered the reason behind poor braking was that the front rotors where virtually destroying themselves. Terrible case of piston slap when stone cold. Other than these problems I love my truck. It's quick nimble and fun to drive. It is crazy good looking. I drive it extremely hard about 3/4 of the time and it doesnt miss a beat. K&N filter helps power.

GMC's 'Hot Truck' is still a truck

silky, 03/05/2002
2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Wants: A vehicle to haul stuff and still be sporty. GMC's Sierra 1500 with the 'HT' package seemed a good bet. A 4.8 liter 270 hp motor, auto trans and heavy duty suspension. After 8k miles I'm disappointed. The engine lacks low end torque often shifting in first gear to pass or merge with authority. The ride is choppy on the freeway and gas mileage is poor, best 15mpg.

Best vehicle I've ever owned!

Gaines E., 09/18/2020
2dr Regular Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck new in May 2002 and the only items I've had to replace have been a windshield washer pump, and the headlight switch. Well, the obligatory maintenance items, air, cabin, fuel and oil filters, plus a new serpentine belt, and plugs and wires at 100K. Otherwise, my alternator, AC compressor, water pump, brake booster, fuel pump, brakes, etc are all original. It has never even needed an alignment! And yes, I've driven the truck - it was my daily driver the first 10 years - and currently has 174,898 miles. I have used it to haul a trailer - it's a regular cab, step side, 4.8 V8 - and I put on a transmission cooler and a Class III hitch receiver. I really do like this truck: the cloth interior still looks new, the paint is shiny and not faded anywhere, the dash has not cracked, the leather-wrapped wheel is still supple, however, the center armrest cover - the plastic part - has cracked under the weight of my elbow pressing on it when I get in and settle myself in the seat; it's not noticeable, though, unless I point it out. I can't speak highly enough about my truck.