Used 2001 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Stay away from this vehicle.
By Grace

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Windstar in 2002 with 11,000 miles. We had to replace the transmission at 40,000 miles. We called Ford and they just pretty much told us too bad for you. They were trying out a new transmission and we were one of the unlucky ones. It gets horrible gas mileage and it seems to always be in the shop for the same problem. Next time it will be a Honda or Toyota for us! The Ford wind star is junk.

6 cd changer.

Customer service and fix all the mechanical things that are wrong and stand behind your product.

STAY AWAY FROM
By Invknight

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Had a transmission replaced FIVE TIMES IN TWO AND A HALF YEARS - ONLY TWO WERE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. Horrible customer service cost me $8K in legal costs just to get out of vehicle and Ford was horrible - owned four Ford vehicles before this and WILL NEVER OWN one again after - even sold my FORD stock before it hit junk price, congrats Bill Ford - you know how to ruin a family name.

Is comfortable but the reliability of the engine and brakes are a constant problem.

Ford should not fire their entire bureau they set up for customer complaints and warranty issues as part of their restructuring policies. STUPID MOVE.

New Transmission at 36,000!
By Ken

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We got this van because of the great safety rating and our growing family. However, it needed a new transmission at 36,000 miles...just after the warranty ran out. The Ford dealership and national Ford office were no help at all. This is the LAST Ford I will ever buy! Even though I'm very patriotic, I'm looking to the Japanese car companies now, as their quality and reliability are so much better. American Car companies need to get with the program and make some quality cars!

Ice-cold air, handles well on the highway, and good storage.

MPG is poor, overall quality and reliability have been poor.

Good machine
By Bill

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a very good van. Hauls a goodly load, pulls the boat, and have had no maintenance issues at all. Bought it used for $7,500 in 2003 at a cheapo used car dealer and it has taken us on many a trip. Now has 139,000 miles. This has been one of the best car values I have ever owned. Reading some of the other reviews I see some real disappointments in this very auto. It seems Detroit's big problem is being consistently good, not hit-or-miss in quality. The engine has always been noisy in the cabin, and that would be my only complaint.

Runs and runs with an occasional service stop for oil change.

Lots of problems
By ng

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a good van to drive when it works. I've had my Windstar for 60K miles and have experienced all kinds of problems. Recurring problems with the air intake system. The transmission gave out at 60K miles. I was told there are serious design flaws in both the air intake system and transmission. Power rear doors and power locks stick. The power steering pump gave out. Never again!

Good looking. Nice to drive when it works. Plenty of space.

Fix the mechanical flaws. Add an external antenna; my AM reception is terrible with the internal antenna.