Skip to main content

Select your model:

250 with Diesel Great Combo

scott boersma, 05/15/2016
updated 06/01/2021
2016 Ford Transit Van 250 Medium Roof 3dr Cargo Van w/148" WB, Sliding Passenger Side Door (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a 2016 Transit MR 250 with the 5 cyl inline powerstroke engine. The power is very good and it is quiet too. C&D magazine was right, the 6 spd transmission shifts seamlessly with the diesel engine and the bigger disc brakes are very effective yet not grabby. I was pleased with the ride and performance from the test drive onward. It handles the road without much leaning and smooths out the bumps. Seating is a little upright but not uncomfortable. We got the rear windows only in our Cargo van. The split mirrors are very good and generally visibility is very good. The only blind spot I have would be eliminated by glass in the sliding door. Ergonomically, It is tight getting in and out of the seats and the rear deck is higher than anticipated. I added a side and rear step but, the Ford side door step is painfully narrow. The bluetooth works well and sound quality is good. The 6 speaker stereo is worth it if you like music. The back up camera and back up alarm work well together combined with the mirrors and rear glass I have no trouble backing anywhere. Mileage for the diesel engine has been 16 mpg around town. We have yet to make a road trip. UPDATE : The Van continues to perform well. Absolutely no regrets choosing this truck for our recreational hobby vehicle. Lots of room in the mid size (length and headroom wise) for dog agility and large RC aircraft hauling. The ride and performance is still better than expected. No repairs needed to date.

Be careful

Scott Howard, 03/06/2018
updated 09/13/2021
2016 Ford Transit Van 150 Low Roof 3dr Cargo Van w/148" WB, 60/40 Passenger Side Door (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I loved this van at first, coming off my F250 Econoline, the motor in the new Van is awesome, fast, torquey and the 6 speed transmission with manual overdrive for downhills was great. 19-21mpg. Brakes were 1000% better than the old van. However, I replaced the old van front brakes every 45K miles and rears never got replaced in 250k miles. Never! The new Transit van goes through rear brakes like vitamins, and I'm easy on brakes. I'm at 30k and they are gone, some people report 15k on rears. I've already had to have the posi-traction rear end replaced at 30k under warranty. Now the MyTouch Sync system went blank, as in dead. So its back to the dealer for more warranty. They are taking care of it, but I'm not sure Ford realizes we buy cars to drive them, not be their experimental test beds. How can you go from never replacing rear brakes to every 30k miles. Sure they work better, so isn't there some common ground in between those 2 concepts. Hmmm? Since my first post, the van has been much better. It still performs well, stops well, and handles excellent for a large vehicle. Mileage is 19-22 mpg still. My only complaint now would be that they offer a nicer interior and insulation package, something for us folks who use this as a primary vehicle. Its pretty noisy, even though I insulated it and used Dynamat in some areas. The battery is under the drivers seat and requires removal of the seat to get to. Would I buy it again? Probably since there is nothing as good, but as soon as somebody realizes that lots of folks have to carry bicycles, motorcycles, larger toys and want them inside and makes a vehicle with the same interior as the nice ford trucks or vehicles, they will have an entirely new market of buyers. Updates as of Sept 2018: the brakes did not need replacing. the dealer told me they did while they were warrantying the rear end, so I took to my local repair shop for brakes and they took em off and said they had 60% life left!!! So the brakes will be just fine on the new van. Since all the warranty items and recalls with the driveshaft, the vehicle has been great. they should have done some homework on the wheel size as you cannot upsize as the tire is so close to the shocks there is a clearance problem. So many Sprinter owners have commented on how much they prefer the larger tire size, especially if you have to drive dirt roads or go off road. Finally, Ford needs to consider the 1000's of owners who buy these for primary vehicles and offer the interior quietness and amenities offered in other vehicles. Trying to quiet a vehicle like this on your own, is quite a project. I opted to get the bigger navigation screen and by doing so, I lost the CD player. Would have preferred the Cd player in hindsight.

Diesel Transit rocks

scottyb, 05/13/2022
updated 11/21/2022
2016 Ford Transit Van 250 High Roof 3dr Cargo Van w/Sliding Passenger Side Door (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is a great van. I have the mid height mid length 250 model. The 5 cylinder powerstroke diesel engine is great, not too bad on gas, 17 mpg average for mixed driving. The seats are comfortable. Visibility is good. I have rear door windows but no side windows. The mirrors are big and adequate. The van handles surprisingly well for its size. Originally there was a lot of road noise inside so we put insulation and wood panel on the wall and ceiling and 3/8" gym mat on the floor. I'm not sure that the diesel engine is still available in this van, but it is a great combo with the 6 spd automatic. The tech is lacking and the screen is really small. Newer big phones do not fit in the 2016 phone holder. But it has a back up camera and I would recommend this van to a friend. Fast forward to 2022. I'm still using and liking this van. No problems or repairs. I don't see me selling this vehicle anytime soon.