Used 1990 Ford Tempo Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Tempo Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:

Worst New Car ever!
By Larry B.

1990 Ford Tempo GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought one new in 1990 because it was cheap. Paint problems, interior problems, over-heating problem and several other nuisance items all in the first six months. Once went with my wife to pick it up at the dealership, cranked it and it sounded great. I was using the power control to adjust the mirrors and to my wife said "I think that they have it right now", just before the mirror on the passenger door fell out of its housing. After a year, I traded it in on a Geo Prizm that never gave us a problem.

Great car
By Sharon

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car about a year ago for 200 dollars, with only 68,000 original miles. Great fuel economy! Turns on a dime. Alot of interior space in front, & back seats. Hugh trunk. Best heater I've ever had on any car. Starts up well, even on the coldest mornings. This car had sit for about a year, without being started up or run, so I was shocked when I went to get it, and it started up on the first try. The only thing that I think I will have a problem with in the future is the transmission. It's a little sluggish, and with talking to others that have owned, or has this car, they have had some problems, when they get up to 90,000 miles.I've owned newer cars that's not as reliable.

Fuel economy,Hugh Trunk,Roomy,Reliability, Easy to see out of back when backing, & it really does warm up fast, even on cold mornings. And thats usually not said often for a Ford.

I would love to have a cup holder.

Best Used Car Ever !
By lisag

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from my neighbor almost 1 year, for $500. I figured It would last a month or so, 6 months tops. 1 year later, I'm still driving it. It's been a great little car. Sure, I've had to have a few repairs done, but none of them were major and most were things I had to have done with a car 20 years newer! I've considered selling it, but it's been so good to me, I think i'll just do a few cosmetic repairs and keep it. It's reliable and it has never left me stranded. Great car for the money!

Buttons in glove box that open trunk and gas cap. Very convenient

I would love a cupholder. I've spilled 1 million drinks because I dont have one!

Junk Ford as always
By Tab

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this used for a second car, w/ 87k on it for $300, maybe too much. Slow, did make it good in the snow though, ugly all around. Transmission went at 90k, who would have thought, it is a Ford.

Going through snow, but that's only because it's slow

Ford didn't make again, good thing, but the Focus is it's counterpart

130K miles and going strong
By milehigh

1990 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

One-owner auto with 130,000 miles. Other than the notorious thick-film module problem, it's been a reliable, good running/riding car. Biggest drawback: the 3-speed auto. that either screams or loafs. But it cruises the interstate at 80-85 all day and still gives me 28mpg. A gigantic trunk, great stereo/tape audio for an old beater and they don't paint 'em like that anymore (non- metallic red that still shines up great). There's a lot of these running around Kansas so they must be pretty good overall if they're not abused. I wouldn't take less than $2000 for this 17-year-old bomb, but it ain't for sale!

Handling, ride, a/c, radio.

They could have put a bit more power and a better tranny in it