Used 1991 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

$823 - $1,745

Used Ranger for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

reliable

bobby9988, 12/12/2002

Only owned it for 2 years. 220,000km on it and have had next to no repairs. Muffler was only problem, body starting to look a little tired but it still gives me no trouble starting, and surviving harsh Canadian winters.

Best 25 year old truck I ever had.

HMCIDC, 04/23/2016
XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

6 months ago I acquired from a friend of mine who runs a junk yard. I traded him a shotgun for it. They used it to tow junkers around their lot. It is probably the ugliest truck you have seen it a while. It is painted primer grey and most of that is pealing. It has 340 thousand miles on the original motor (4.0 ltr V-6) and transmission (5 speed manual) Has rust over the rear wheel wells and the entire underside. I made the trade thinking I was just going to strip it down and make a rock crawler out f it. To my surprise the truck rides better than my 2011 Silverado. It is an incredibly smooth ride. I replaced the tires and a ruptured brake line and that's it. The 4X4 works great and the motor is smooth and powerful. It has a slight valve tick but does not use any oil at all. I drive it daily because it get much better gas mileage than my Silverado and to think I was going to rip this old girl apart. It started first time, every time all throughout the winter and everything works, every light, every piece of electronics (the stereo rocks) and in four wheel drive the damn thing will climb a tree. She is nothing at all to look at but I wouldn't give this thing up for anything. If a 25 year old ranger runs this good and is this reliable I can only imagine what the new ones are like.

Disappointment

mofarmer, 05/28/2011

I've owned this 2.3, 4 cyl, 4wd, 5 speed, short bed ranger for 3 months and is nothing to brag about. I have never exceeded 19 mpg and 14.5-15 is common, with a top speed of about 75 and going up most hills, it might lose 5-10 mph even after dropping a gear. The only good for this truck is most parts are still original, other than the steering sector and the mirrors can never stay in place.

Invincible

Ranger, 10/24/2003

i owned a ranger for 2 years and never regretted a minute of it. there simply isnt a better light truck on the market. on road, the handling and power are amazing. the 2.9l has plenty of torque, and the power is trasferred through the road better than most cars. off road, you can put most big trucks to shame. the 4x4 and low range are almost impossible to get stuck in mud snow or trails. accident safety is unreal. i just totaled it by hitting a crown victoria @ 60 then ran into a ditch and flipped 3 times. I walked away w/o a scratch.

been a great truck

justin, 07/10/2006

I bought my Ranger with 139,000 miles on it from the original owner. At 170,000 the over drive went out in the transmission; had it rebuilt, I've got about $2000 bucks in the truck and have been driving it for 5 years and put almost 100,000 miles on in and it's been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Its now got over 230,000 miles on it.

I love this truck!

electricgreen, 04/12/2002

Since buying the truck, I have had few problems. I have replaced wear items, like brakes and the muffler, as well as a head gasket. The truck now has 127,000 miles. It has performed it's duties as daily transportation and work truck well. It has driven us back and forth to work, as well as hauled building materials for home repairs without fault.

truck that wont stop

will_walk, 01/16/2011

im 18, father gave me this truck when i was 17 nev failed me milage read apprx. 745,367 mi. love the acceleration of the manual tranny. i can blow most cars off the road.

Ford Ranger

Jan Lockwood, 11/05/2002

Used truck with over 100,000 miles. Has an oil leak that cannot be repaired.Exterior door damaged. Somewhat beat up.

this truck wont die

9.03, 06/05/2002

This truck is the only automobile I have ever owned. I've never truly liked it as the ride isn't too comfortable, and only has room for two but it's been highly reliable. I've never had a concern for it's well being and on numerous occasions have gone well past redline (not sure on that as there is no tach). I've treated it badly, my brothers (only two other owners) treated it badly, it looks bad thanks to a bad aftermarket paintjob, and gets pretty bad gas mileage 14city/23highway I once decided that if the engine siezed up that my parents would buy me a new car, so i didn't put oil in for 6 months (i'm guessing 7,000 miles) but the engine never quit.

Ford tough

Zeke Dalrymple, 02/04/2017
S 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a great strong truck highly recommend

Fun little truck

Adam Harrison, 06/09/2019
XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This one has an exhaust leak and needs valve cover gasket. Gas mileage is decent.

51050