Used 2006 Ford Freestar Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestar Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Very Reliable, Comfortable, and Quiet.
By Dan

2006 Ford Freestar Cargo 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Ford corrected the transmission for 2006 and 2007 models. Earlier models had transmission failures. I have 82,000 miles on this cargo van, and it has been trouble free. It is quiet inside, and drives like a regular passenger van because the cargo model has a full cloth headliner and trim panels all the way back to the tailgate. In fact, we prefer this vehicle for vacations. More cargo space than a thirsty SUV. I get 25 mpg on the freeway if I drive 60. At 70mph, it drops to 23 mpg.

Slick!
By Reece

2006 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Owned it for a year....great van!

great value
By Len Amato

2006 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I believe the Freestar is underrated. This van is a workhorse. People hauler and item hauler love it.

Sad to see it go
By Erin

2006 Ford Freestar Cargo 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The 2006 Freestar is the best vehicle I've owned. It was my first "real" car purchase (my first one that cost over $4k) at a time that I had young kids and Scouts to haul frequently.
It was a program car with about 28k miles on it when I bought it. I got the Ford Certified warranty with it, which I later used to repair a bad wheel bearing. Other than the wheel bearing, I've had NO problems with this car. I've only replaced tires, brakes and plugs & wires (as prevention at 75k miles).
Unfortunately, with only 92k miles on it, I'm faced with having to let it go. It's begun to get some rust on the inside bottoms of the doors, which will soon come through to the front. (We live in North Dakota, and deal with salt and other melting solvents on the roads). The bigger concern, though, is that the driver's side wheel well is rusting out, which has loosened the panel that holds the ring that the third-row seat clips to inside. The ring moves, and I'm certain that if I had anyone in the back row in an accident, the seat could pull loose, flipping them backwards and creating head and neck injuries or worse. I'd hoped to keep the van for a few more years, and we may still -- but we'll have to use it as a 4-seat vehicle, instead of 7. And if we pass it down to our teenagers, we may remove the third row to eliminate the temptation of cramming friends in the unsafe third row.
I've loved having the extra space that the third row has allowed by folding flat, and how the second row bucket seats tip forward for extra cargo room. And I especially loved having that space without paying the extra $10k for Stow-n-Go in a Caravan. Mine had the leather seats -- and the driver's seat has worn quite a bit over the years.
Overall, it's been a great vehicle with nearly no problems. Just wish the body had held out longer.

UPDATE: Shortly after posting my review, I found out there was a recall on my van -- just not on MY van. I wasn't in a state included in the recall for the rusting wheel well -- but I live 1 mile from the border of a state that was included. I called Ford and they agreed to have it checked out by the local dealer and within a few hours, Ford had agreed to replace the wheel well and it was in great shape again. Safe to use the third row seat again! There is still a bit of rust forming, but I'm in N.D., with a lot of snow and salt on the roads, so it's understandable. I now have about 98,000 miles on the van and it's still running great, so I hope to get several more years out of it.

Finally showing body rust @ 205K miles-4th Update
By Bill Adams

2006 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)