Used 1994 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Explorer for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...17

Pros
Cons

94 XL 4dr Explorer

steve , 04/08/2006
XL 4dr SUV 4WD

An awesome SUV, great off road and in the snow. Only qualms are fuel economy, stiff ride, and lack of power.

94 - year of the BEAST

Hartman, 12/12/2006
XL 2dr SUV 4WD

I have heard negative things about Explorers but in five years have not experienced them. I get 23 mpg hwy, which makes it the perfect travel car on my Ohio-Tenn trips for school. It conquered everything I threw at it as an immature 1st time 4wd owner (seriously I'm surprised this car is not stranded in a certain mudpit in Middle Tennessee). The most comfortable car, will haul it all, routine work - brakes,belts,etc. is dirt cheap (and I am a poor college student!). I have 155,000 on it now, a third of which is my doing, without a headache. As expected, transmission wear was easily solved with Lucas trans-fix additive. An $8 bottle has worked miracles for 17k miles.

Reliable, and trustworthy 200K mile workhorse...

Jose Rodriguez, 11/24/2015
Sport 2dr SUV

I bought mine with 186k miles, 5 speed stick shift and everything worked great on her, and it kept on going for the 14 months i owned her, i live in Las Vegas where most cars can overheat, she never did (except for the time in which a 21 year old hose broke, replaced the hose and refilled the antifreeze, good as ever). Only malfunction it had was a alternator gone bad, and it took me 3 belts to figure it out... my bad... We arrived in the US and owned absolutely nothing, except for her, so she pretty much hauled us and all of our belongings from our first apartment to the next one, she never left us hanging not even when the belts were broken because of the alternator's pulley getting stuck (bad bearings i was told). Parts were always available at any local auto shop, and they were also cheap, which is great too... We changed the oil every 3k miles, and i changed the spark plugs a couple of times, i also did the front brakes when i got her. Only problem was the famous ford power steering leak, and a couple of noises here and there. It did pass the smog check when i had to register for the first time, and guess what, it did it again the next year without any hiccups, i saw my neighbors having to spend money on their newer flashier cars, and i did nothing to her, she passed without any effort, and the last tune up had been like 15k miles before. A really comfortable ride, even for our family of four, of which 3 are taller than 6', a bit tight on the backseats but could easily go from Las Vegas to L.A. without having to stop and stretch the legs. The best part is that i sold her for a profit of a 50%, so i can say i'm a happy customer, and needless to say i'm getting another ford, i'm sure i'll continue to be a happy customer for the years to come. Glad to keep up buying american instead of imports.

SAVED MY LIFE!!

Renn, 07/23/2002
XLT 4dr SUV

Drove mine for 4 years & 140,000 miles, no probs at all. 2 weeks ago, on the freeway, a lady tried to pass me by driving on the berm. She clipped my back tire and as a result I flipped 4/5 times. I had to be cut out of car -- but walked away with cuts and scratches -- the firemen couldn't believe how hard it was to get through the frame! All agreed it was thanks to the seatbelt and the heavy duty frame. THANKS FORD! I would buy another in a heartbeat -- if I could find one. I am amazed at the huge number you see on the road, and the small number you see for sale . . .

94Explorer

fordowner, 09/26/2002
XLT 4dr SUV

147,000 and still kicking. I've used the trcuk for Family outings, long trips, boat towing, hunting and fishing trips, other than a few sets of tires and brakes, I've replaced nothing. I'm religious about oil changes and have done them every 5,000 miles, which is inbetween what Frod recommneds for light (7,000) and Heavy (3,000) duty use, but the engine still runs strong and the A/C will still freeeze you out ! I'm about to get a 2003, so I hope I have the same experience !

12345...17