Used 2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Explorer Sport Trac for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

After 8 months looks good, BUT!

doctomof ws, 06/20/2010
XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After owning a 2005 version of the Explorer SportTrac I was ready to try the newer version. I was attracted by its upgraded styling which I found more appealing than the older version from 2000 to 2005. Also I liked the idea of the independent rear suspension on the newer version versus the live straight axle of the 2005 iteration. It still drives like a truck. Stiff and solid, which for me is a plus. It has the feeling of a vehicle that is strong and capable of hauling around my toys as well as being a dependable every day commuter. That's a very nice compromise in my estimation

Best of two worlds in a vehicle

Richard, 01/26/2017
XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only owned the used Sport Trac for about a month but I have found that the vehicle is a well rounded and comfortable vehicle. I don't put many miles on a truck but I wanted a midsized pickup that was reliable and comfortable. I could not justify buying a new truck because I only drive one occasionally and decided on a used Sport Trac or Ridgeline. After reading dozens of reviews by both professional type reviewers as well as owners it appeared that the so-called experts favored the Ridgeline. However, reviews by owners gave the Sport Trac great reviews. Based on my brief ownership of the Ford, I have found the reviews of owners to be more accurate. Some of the Experts say that the Sport Trac is a gas guzzler. Perhaps some are but the one I bought with 79000 miles on it get an average MPG of 19 with 65% of the miles being highway miles. That is not exceptional but it certainly not a gas guzzler. I found the ride to be quiet and smooth. There is very little wind noise but the tires are all-weather and there is a hum that I could do without. Most of the experts complained of a lack of power in the V6. That is absolute nonsense. The V6 delivers plenty of power unless you are drag racing a Corvette. Complaints about cargo space are certainly valid but then its purpose is primarily for carrying people in comfort and safety. The Sports Trac has lots of little niceties the make it an absolute pleasure to drive. The handling is superb. Breaking is excellent. The ride is quiet and comfortable and the cost to operate is reasonable and the Ford is cable of carrying cargo. The Sports Trac is the best of both worlds. UPDATE: The hum I mentioned in my review turned out to be front wheel bearings. I replaced both front bearings and now the truck is very quiet and smoothe. The cost to replace the bearings was $220 and that and a battery are the only cost for maintenance thus far. I am pleased with the truck. UPDATE: After a couple of years I can say that I am still pleased with the Sports Trac. Actually, my intentions were to buy the new Ford Ranger rumored in 2016 to be released in America. I have decided not to buy one because the Sports Trac is still an exceptional truck. I did add a stereo with a backup camera that makes driving much more enjoyable. The only problem I'm having with the truck is reseting the oil change indicator light.

Swiss Army Knife

PaloRev, 08/10/2010
XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After researching the options for replacement of our 2005 Ranger, settled on a new Sport Trac. We wanted the flexibility of four doors, room for five, a cargo bed and four wheel drive. Initially leaned towards an F150, but the smaller Sport Trac made more sense. Only thing comparable is the Honda Ridgeline, but the reviews we read didn't show it to be superior. Plus, the Honda is more expensive and we weren't taken by the boxy styling. We ordered the Sport Trac in February and took delivery in April. The wait was worth it to get the exact color and options we wanted. Proven to be a very good decision. Vehicle's "Swiss Army knife" flexibility is great.

Wish They Still Made 'em

Scratch, 04/12/2016
XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Hard to find these days with low miles. We found ours with just 24000 on the odometer about 200 miles east of us in the Houston area. It was basically a garage queen; paint, undercarriage, and interior like new. Hard to negotiate price because these are in demand; after a couple days of negotiating, we met at a reasonable price. Happy to discover the Sport Trac comes standard-equipped with a tow package including a 3.73 rear end, sway control, auxiliary transmission cooler, and class IV hitch rated at 5,250 lbs capacity. We purchased a Winnebago Drop 170S Travel trailer in May 2016. The unit weighs just under 3,000 lbs. dry. Installed a weight control hitch and were happy to discover how easily the truck handles the combined load of just under 4,000 lbs. Towing MPG is around 11.5 with overdrive off. Heard a rumor last week that Ford will reintroduce the Ranger and a new Bronco in 2020. Hope the Ranger is also equipped for light towing. The Sport Trac is, in my opinion, one of the best engineered products Ford ever designed. Wish they would introduce it instead of the Ranger, but I guess they know what they're doing...

Just Can't Figure Why Ford Stopped Building This

Daniel Doyle, 01/29/2017
Limited 4dr Crew Cab AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was in the market for another Ford Ranger when I stumbled across this jewel. It is an SVT edition of the Sport Track badged an "Adrenalin". It has a 4.6 V8 and about everything else under the sun. I am tempted to go get another one just so I don't wear it out. It gets up and goes when I want it to, it will leave the throngs and masses behind like they are chained to a tree. The inside is comfortable -and leather- the controls are good to great with the only ones not great are the driver seat controls which are not positioned as well as I'd like. The rear window goes down with the flick of a switch. Any pickup owner knows just how great an idea that is. It looks great to the eye both inside and out. The lighting is excellent. The small cargo bed is well done in every way. My wife and I love the bed extender for keeping the groceries near the back and how it tips out easily to haul larger loads. If you run across a well preserved edition of this Adranalin edition of the Ford Sport Track, and you don't want it, let me know because my wife wants one too! For my thoughts, this one more example of Ford killing a line instead of watching it soar to its true height. Absolutely Great Little Truck! Here it is seven months later and still loving this politely done wicked little beast. I would definatley buy it again.