Used 1997 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Best SUV I ever had
By Chuck Gass

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Don't let hi mileage worry you I have 103,000 miles on my Expo and feel it's good for another 200,000 miles. My expo is a 4x4 and have a 5.4 liter V 8 and have had """NO""" problems with engine or drive train,doesn't leek oil and has tremendous power.A must is that one service your car or truck at least 3 x a year

It does it all.
By Geo pup

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Great family vehicle. Put everyone in it and hit the road. You will be amazed at how well it tows. Wish interior doors where made with a little higher quality.

Very reliable SUV
By Gtran

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I own the Ford Expedition and BMW X5 and most of my maintenance money is on the BMW X5 . Just replace the air ride shock absorbers and it feels like a brand new SUV again. There are 2 coils fail at different time , and the stabilizer bar link was broken and with 13 mpg , it hurts my wallet when gas was $5 , but overall , I feel very happy with the Ford Expedition and like most the reviewers here , will keep the car as long as I can.

19 yr & still trucking strong
By glenda

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned plus the most economical overall when you consider purchase price over 19 yr with no repairs other than maintenance. The only expense has been fuel, regular oil changes, tires, air filters, brake pads, battery, and replacement of one broken suspension arm. This SUV has gone in deep snow when my other truck ( GMC) wouldn't. I no longer need to transport heavy or bulky loads but I hate to sell this reliable friend so I plan to continue to see how many more years she'll go. I'll trade only if I can get a 20 yr. guarantee on a new SUV.

Old Faithful with 200,000 miles
By adeanhobdy

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The car that doesn't die. If you want reliability, this car doesn't get the props it deserves. It keeps going. We bought the car in 2011. After purchasing it, we realized that it hadn't had regular maintenance. Had never even had a tuneup and had the original spark plugs. We were a little worried but it has never given us one problem.

We even took it climbing a few times and it faired well.

The one con is that it doesn't have the power I would like. We don't feel comfortable pulling our 25 foot trailer with it. We solved that by recently purchasing the Excursion. Hope the Excursion will be as reliable as the Expedition

Leather and power seats